Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I've got my interview for a private university in a few days and was wondering if any current/former students of private unis could give some pointers on how they funded their courses. The fees for one of the universities I'm looking at is £15k a year (I know) and whilst I'm talking to my careers dept and looking at grants and bursaries, I'm having some trouble. The government student loan will only cover £6k of my fees, which is definitely not enough.

Unfortunately, since it's a vocational course and not an academic one, I can't go for the abundance of STEM grants or general academic ones.

Before anyone says it, yes, I know it was a risky move, I took a long time to think about funding before I applied and the other institutions I've gone for are all state ones so I've got backup.

(I couldn't find this kind of thread but if it's already been created, I'm sorry)

Thanks!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Have you checked if there's any funding from the uni itself? Sometimes, you can get funding from the uni if you're on a low income. I don't know anything about private colleges and unis though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from a low income family but unfortunately the university itself offers part and full scholarships only to people who come from conflict areas or who've had a successful film at a festival, neither of which I've had. Hopefully on my interview day I can talk to some students there and get their say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talstone)
    Hi everyone,

I've got my interview for a private university in a few days and was wondering if any current/former students of private unis could give some pointers on how they funded their courses. The fees for one of the universities I'm looking at is £15k a year (I know) and whilst I'm talking to my careers dept and looking at grants and bursaries, I'm having some trouble. The government student loan will only cover £6k of my fees, which is definitely not enough.

Unfortunately, since it's a vocational course and not an academic one, I can't go for the abundance of STEM grants or general academic ones.

Before anyone says it, yes, I know it was a risky move, I took a long time to think about funding before I applied and the other institutions I've gone for are all state ones so I've got backup.

(I couldn't find this kind of thread but if it's already been created, I'm sorry)

Thanks!
    I would imagine most of the students are from wealthy backgrounds where the parents can make up the difference or come from countries where the government pays for students to study in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with jelly1000. If you can't afford to attend a private university, then you're not from their target demographic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.