Adorable98
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So SO2 has 2 bonding pairs and 1 non-bonding pair! So 3 pairs in total!

So it's 120 - 2.5 = 117.5o but why is it 120o ?!
I don't get the explanation about the extra repulsion thing in this case!

Like water for instance it has 2 bonding pairs and 2 non-bonding pairs, so 4 pairs in total!
109.5-(2.5x2)= 104.5o which is right!
Attached files
username1426305
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is because the extra repulsion you get from the double bond cancels out the the lone pair repulsion
Adorable98
(Original post by ThatMadClown)
This is because the extra repulsion you get from the double bond cancels out the the lone pair repulsion
Yeah, but why wouldn't that be the same case with O=C=O ? It's 180 but wouldn't there be more rupilsion?!
The book says that double bonds must be treated the same as single bonds so why isn't that the same case with SO2?!
RMNDK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Adorable98)
Yeah, but why wouldn't that be the same case with O=C=O ? It's 180 but wouldn't there be more rupilsion?!
The book says that double bonds must be treated the same as single bonds so why isn't that the same case with SO2?!
Because carbon only has 4 valence electrons.
There are no additional lone pairs of electrons after it makes its bonds with oxygen.
Adorable98
(Original post by RMNDK)
Because carbon only has 4 valence electrons.
There are no additional lone pairs of electrons after it makes its bonds with oxygen.
I see! Thanks!
thealchemist666
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You must remember that due to the 'shape' of pi bonds, the p-orbital overlap is above and below the plane and does NOT affect the shape of the molecule/ion. Thus, SO2 has 3 electron pairs around the sulfur atom; two are bonding and one is a lone pair. The lp repels the bp more so the bond angle is about 120 deg. Two lp as in H2O would reduce the BOND ANGLE EVEN MORE.The explanation above about the electron density of the double bonds canceling out is absolutely rubbishTHE ALCHEMISTDoc Dickson
Adorable98
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by thealchemist666)
You must remember that due to the 'shape' of pi bonds, the p-orbital overlap is above and below the plane and does NOT affect the shape of the molecule/ion. Thus, SO2 has 3 electron pairs around the sulfur atom; two are bonding and one is a lone pair. The lp repels the bp more so the bond angle is about 120 deg. Two lp as in H2O would reduce the BOND ANGLE EVEN MORE.The explanation above about the electron density of the double bonds canceling out is absolutely rubbishTHE ALCHEMISTDoc Dickson
Loool, I made this thread 4 years ago but thanks anyways
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (120)
28.85%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (157)
37.74%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.5%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise