Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

D2 or FP3? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which is easier, taking into account content, grade boundaries, tendencies to make mistakes etc?

I'm not interested in which one is 'more credible' (obviously that would be FP3), this is purely based on an interest to secure my Cam offer - they're allowing me the option to switch maths modules

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikhilm)
    Which is easier, taking into account content, grade boundaries, tendencies to make mistakes etc?

I'm not interested in which one is 'more credible' (obviously that would be FP3), this is purely based on an interest to secure my Cam offer - they're allowing me the option to switch maths modules

Thanks!
    Never done or intend to do D2 so can't judge. FP3 imo is pretty hard but doable, as a Cam offer holder who requires STEP you'll probably find it a lot easier than I do. Contains six chapters: hyperbolic functions, further coordinate systems, diff, inte, vectors and matrices. If you find STEP III okay you'll make mince meat out of this. It's interesting and usually the grade boundaries (at least for the last two years) are low, unlike D2, which is a plus. You can probably guess which module I suggest you do
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Fp3 was my best module. I haven't taken D2 but would take Fp3 over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Never done or intend to do D2 so can't judge. FP3 imo is pretty hard but doable, as a Cam offer holder who requires STEP you'll probably find it a lot easier than I do. Contains six chapters: hyperbolic functions, further coordinate systems, diff, inte, vectors and matrices. If you find STEP III okay you'll make mince meat out of this. It's interesting and usually the grade boundaries (at least for the last two years) are low, unlike D2, which is a plus. You can probably guess which module I suggest you do
    Haha my offer is actually for Law, not maths, and so I won't be doing STEP :P

ReputationRep:
    D2 is easy, and if you don't intend on doing maths at University just take it for an easier ride.. The only criticism i have found of D2 so far is having to draw stuff out when learning it, but this is not a problem in the exam where they will provide you with drawings (e.g. the networks or rows and columns to present values)..

ReputationRep:
    If you are taking STEP III do FP3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    D2 is easy, and if you don't intend on doing maths at University just take it for an easier ride.. The only criticism i have found of D2 so far is having to draw stuff out when learning it, but this is not a problem in the exam where they will provide you with drawings (e.g. the networks or rows and columns to present values)..
    Hey thanks for your response! Did you do FP3 as well?

ReputationRep:
    The Decision modules are just painfully tedious; at least the Further Pure modules are actually full of interesting new concepts. Being interested helps keep one motivated to do better, of course.

All I can say is that D2 contains game theory, which is actually quite interesting. Apart from that, though, I'd recommend to just keep on going with FP2, especially considering you must already be going half-way there with FP1&2.

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for your response! Did you do FP3 as well?
    I have not, but have read through its content to an extent..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjgriffiths)
    The Decision modules are just painfully tedious; at least the Further Pure modules are actually full of interesting new concepts. Being interested helps keep one motivated to do better, of course.

All I can say is that D2 contains game theory, which is actually quite interesting. Apart from that, though, I'd recommend to just keep on going with FP2, especially considering you must already be going half-way there with FP1&2.
    Tbh I think i'll be able to survive through any possible boredom haha, i'm just focusing upon easiness - i know it sounds bad but that's my only interest atm: FP1 and FP2 weren't that bad but I feel like D2 will take less time to learn than FP3 no?

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    With D2, if you drop marks at the start of a question you may **** up that whole question, and theres only like 5 or 6 per paper so they're worth more. I think the boundaries for UMS is lower on FP3 aswell

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.