Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Extremist groups must be allowed to preach on British campuses, new Oxford head says Watch

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that these guys generally aren't turning up for a civilised discussion at the debating club - they're turning up at the university Islamic society and running propaganda meetings

e.g.
    http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/studen...ts-18397638833

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    The problem is that these guys generally aren't turning up for a civilised discussion at the debating club - they're turning up at the university Islamic society and running propaganda meetings

e.g.
    agreed ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    No evidence=no extremist.
    in normal countries, being an extremist per se isn't a crime. acting like one, however (or calling others, because in this case one doesn't have to dirt their hands) is- at least in civilized countries.
    and yes, person with that views should be observed closely by services... same with their friends etc.

So you can't give any proof either, what a shame!
    Cant you see?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...7&d=1452953251 the shadow is quite visible (hint: look on the wall).

ReputationRep:
    Extreme speakers from Cage? Such as...?!
    lol Trust you to be on that Cage time

ReputationRep:
    I would support this if extremists could be challenged, but history indicates they wouldn't be. All the talk of safe spaces and the such means that a radical would never be challenged unless invite to speak an even meant to challenge them. And most of the time when controversy has arisen it is because an extremist has been given a platform to speak without the potential to challenge their views.

ReputationRep:
    Her comments were great, and Lord Patten's comments on the Rhodes campaign were great.

Good work, Oxford administration.

ReputationRep:
    Spot-on. Extremists should be allowed to speak at British universities, and we already have laws dealing with the incitement of violence.

Let the Christofascists and the Islamofascists and racist and/or nationalistic groups spout whatever nonsense they like. They can be challenged on them and their views can be torn to shreds. Obviously, the question is whether these would really be open debates, but that seems to be the kind of thing that the Vice-Chancellor is promoting. It's a step forward, especially relative to the current situation where freedom of expression is being threatened on university campuses.

As Noam Chomsky said: if you don't believe in freedom of speech for people you despise, you don't believe in it at all.

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree. If it weren't for this I dare say Oxford's reputation would be going straight down the loo.

ReputationRep:
    Moazzem (?) Begg.

What a turd. WHAT a total, evil, turd. :mad:

An advocate of fascism, and if you support him (and it) so are you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    Moazzem (?) Begg.

Champions Anwar al-Awlaki (Jihadi propagandist with very close ties to Al Qaeda
    Defends Mohamed Emwazi (Jihadi John)
    Inviting former Al Qaeda members to events
    Compared Obama, as US president, to Osama Bin Laden
    Has representatives such as Asim Qureshi, who has advocated the creation of a caliphate and has supported the notion of adulterers being stoned to death
    Has Moazzam Begg - Jihadi cockroach - as director

Not extreme - HAnwar

(Original post by garfeeled)
    I would support this if extremists could be challenged, but history indicates they wouldn't be. All the talk of safe spaces and the such means that a radical would never be challenged unless invite to speak an even meant to challenge them. And most of the time when controversy has arisen it is because an extremist has been given a platform to speak without the potential to challenge their views.
    I can honestly see people like Begg speaking on a campus and people challenging his extremist views branded as Islamiphobic bigots or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)
    Spot-on. Extremists should be allowed to speak at British universities, and we already have laws dealing with the incitement of violence.

Let the Christofascists and the Islamofascists and racist and/or nationalistic groups spout whatever nonsense they like. They can be challenged on them and their views can be torn to shreds. Obviously, the question is whether these would really be open debates, but that seems to be the kind of thing that the Vice-Chancellor is promoting. It's a step forward, especially relative to the current situation where freedom of expression is being threatened on university campuses.

As Noam Chomsky said: if you don't believe in freedom of speech for people you despise, you don't believe in it at all.
    Agree with this fully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viddy9)

I agree with all this but why are you including nationalistic groups with racist/islamofacist/christofacist groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I wouldn't disagree with her if I didn't already know the Oxford Union's record on 'controversial' speakers of the 'wrong' kind.
    I'm not sure what your point is?

The Oxford Union is an autonomous, independent organization that has no affiliation with the University, the colleges, the departments, the Student Union, or other societies. The Vice-Chancellor of Oxford has no influence over it just as she has no influence over the scammy Oxford Round Table Conference.

You might as well say the Lord Mayor of Oxford is responsible.

ReputationRep:

Exactly, I defend your right to have your own opinion even if it is absolutely stupid saying that spaghetti is sentient but I will also defend my right to say that it is absolutely stupid.

but when problems like extremism become too overwhelming something needs to be done, I hope anyone that comes out to preach Terrorism gets arrested or detained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnomes&Knights)
    I just thought I'd share a hilarious picture. I'd expect such a picture from the Daily Mail but it is surprisingly from the Telegraph.
    Fair enough.
    Bit scary though.

(Original post by simon_g)
    in normal countries, being an extremist per se isn't a crime. acting like one, however (or calling others, because in this case one doesn't have to dirt their hands) is- at least in civilized countries.
    and yes, person with that views should be observed closely by services... same with their friends etc.

Cant you see?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...7&d=1452953251 the shadow is quite visible (hint: look on the wall).
    Ah I see it now! Silly me.

(Original post by KimKallstrom)
    lol Trust you to be on that Cage time
    What's wrong with Cage :/
    (Original post by JezWeCan!)
    Moazzem (?) Begg.

What's wrong with Moazzam Begg :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all this but why are you including nationalistic groups with racist/islamofacist/christofacist groups.
    Because he is a leftist idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)

e.g.
    Agreed

Quite happy for extremist muslims to be given a platform as long as they are not given protection from being openly challenged as happens now

ReputationRep:
    It's called free speech. Whether you agree with it or not, shutting it out isnt the way to go in order to challenge it.

ReputationRep:
    But we should ban Trump for one comment. Makes sense. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Moazzam Begg, the founded of Cage? He openly supported the Taliban regime, and even moved his family over to Afghanistan to live there. He also owned a bookstore called Maktabah al Ansaar which published and distributed many extremist books. One such book was "The Army of Madinah in Kashmir" which contains a note at the end of the book which praises the 1999 hijacking of the Indian Airways flight 814 by Pakistani mujahideen. The author of this book was also the author of a book on how to make bombs out of household items. He has shown himself countless time to be sympathetic and supportive of terrorists.

So I would regard him as harbouring extreme views.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.