unsuccessful pgde application due to maths grade Glasgow

Watch this thread
jcan22
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have applied to do primary teaching at glasgow and strathclyde and yesterday found out I have been unsuccessful in my application for Glasgow uni as my gsce maths grade (originally from Northern Ireland) is too low. I got a C for maths at gcse level and they are looking for an a or b. I can't believe I didn't realize this sooner, this was my lowest gcse grade but still a pass so thought it would be ok. I presume Strathclyde will now reject my application for the same reason. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I was hoping to to a fast track maths course but don't know if I will be too late to get this done in time for entry?! Do all universities expect the same maths and english grades? I desperately want to start in August and not have to wait another year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
skeptical_john
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Which PGCE is this for? Depending on how confident you are with maths you can always just take the exam privatly. There is so much help out there for GCSE maths you wouldnt be short on material.
Findlay6
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
For PGCE the minimum is a C, but if you're applying to a reputable University with high quantities applicants, they can afford to be more picky.

You can take the retake exam, but most institutions would want to know your grade sooner than a few weeks before the course starts.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Are there other PGCE courses nearby that will take a C grade?
Robinsong
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
In Scotland the maths grade needed for being accepted on to a PGDE has to be an A or a B to be inline with the Standard Grade 1 or 2 (Scottish equivalent to GCSE). Having a C (which is equivalent to a 's' grade 3) is not deemed acceptable.

In England you can be accepted on to the PGCE with a C in Maths.

I live in Dumfries (Scottish borders) and applied toScottish universities and University of Cumbria in Carlisle. I was having to do a National 5 maths course as I only have a 3 at S Grade Maths. I have since been accepted to the University of Cumbria though as my 3 is acceptable there. Now I don't have to do the Nat 5 anymore.

It may seem unfair that there is a difference BUT Scotland is happy to accept people without honours degrees, however England aren't really. Swings and roundabouts.
Robinsong
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Why don't you apply to the University of Cumbria in Carlisle to do the PGCE? It's really the most accessible for Irish students coming over. Apparently about 75% of the students on the PGCE course there are Irish (the lecturer told me that at interview).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (7)
28%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (11)
44%
First aid skills (2)
8%
Personal safety skills (0)
0%
Sign language (4)
16%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4%

Watched Threads