Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can't British children be patriotic like these Americans ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Because we have such a sh*t national anthem.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories but...

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Is that really the Go Compare advert music?
    beat me to it
    I was thinking Go Compare, Go Compare, when you're in doubt don't be a lout and go compare
    But daaamn that's a sick beat, kudos to the composer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)
    Why not? It's important to support your country and show your love for it like these children are.
    Did you seriously not cringe when watching that video?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    I couldn't get through it. It's absolutely unbearable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    No. They were being patriotic. That is a good thing. I wish that British children would be as patriotic and proud of their country as American children are,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)
    No. They were being patriotic. That is a good thing. I wish that British children would be as patriotic and proud of their country as American children are,
    You wish British children were even more brainwashed than they are now, that song is sick and promotes dangerous nationalism, nationalism has never led to anything prosperous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finn61)
    You wish British children were even more brainwashed than they are now, that song is sick and promotes dangerous nationalism, nationalism has never led to anything prosperous.
    I am not sure you are at the heart of why it makes one feel queasy.

You wouldn't have a problem with a school choir singing Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem, but would you really feel comfortable if they were doing so flanking Cameron or Corbyn at a party conference?

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like a disturbing It's a Small World

ReputationRep:
    Because its almost a criminal offence to be patriotic in Britain today We can't be proud of our nation. You will be called a racist, fascist or Islamophobe for even displaying the England flag or Union Jack. Our place as Brits is as second class citizens and were told by the PC Loony left and that we must never forget that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Because its almost a criminal offence to be patriotic in Britain today We can't be proud of our nation. You will be called a racist, fascist or Islamophobe for even displaying the England flag or Union Jack. Our place as Brits is as second class citizens and were told by the PC Loony left and that we must never forget that!
    Well given that everyone in this country is British we must all be second class civilians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahem-)
    Well given that everyone in this country is British we must all be second class civilians.
    Even the government treat Brits as second class citizens. Migrants who get benefits like JSA are not sanctioned like British claimants are. They don't even have to actively seek work.

They get free housing in London or rents paid in even the most exclusive areas like Hammersmith, while other Londoners are forced to leave London, because of lack of affordable homes.
    Free prescriptions, dental care and opticians.
    They're allowed to protest against our way of life and even use hate speech against us but they get away with it.

No wonder they're camping out in Calais to get into Britain for a cushy life that they wouldn't get in France or any where else.

is it fair?

ReputationRep:
    Even the government treat Brits as second class citizens. Migrants who get benefits like JSA are not sanctioned like British claimants are. They don't even have to actively seek work.

They get free housing in London or rents paid in even the most exclusive areas like Hammersmith, while other Londoners are forced to leave London, because of lack of affordable homes.
    Free prescriptions, dental care and opticians.
    They're allowed to protest against our way of life and even use hate speech against us but they get away with it.

is it fair?
    I'd like to see proof of them actually getting these things because it seems a bit dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahem-)
    I'd like to see proof of them actually getting these things because it seems a bit dodgy.
    I read in a leaflet about sanctions that Asylum Seekers and Refugees are exempt from sanctions and are not committed to fulfilling their JSA agreement unlike normal claimants. I also read that they're exempt from schemes such as workfare. So effectively they can do what they like and their benefit remains unaffected.

ReputationRep:
    I read in a leaflet about sanctions that Asylum Seekers and Refugees are exempt from sanctions and are not committed to fulfilling their JSA agreement unlike normal claimants. I also read that they're exempt from schemes such as workfare. So effectively they can do what they like and their benefit remains unaffected.
    Whose leaflet is that, because asylum seekers aren't entitled to JSA and refugees are not exempt from sanctions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)

the words are here so you can join in:
    Cowardice (are you serious?)
    Apologies for freedom (I can't handle this!)
    When freedom rings (answer the call!)
    On your feet (stand up tall!)
    Freedom's on our shoulders (USA!)
    Enemies of freedom
    Face the music (come on boys, take 'em down!)
    President Donald Trump knows how to make America great
    Deal from strength or get crushed every time

[Chorus]
    Over here (USA!)
    Over there (USA!)
    Freedom and liberty everywhere
    Oh say can you see
    It's not so easy
    But we have to stand up tall and answer freedom's call

USA (USA!)
    USA (USA)
    We're the land of the free and the home of the brave, USA!
    The stars and stripes are flying
    Let's celebrate our freedom
    Inspire proudly freedom to the world
    A merit to (USA!)
    American pride (USA!)
    It's attitude, it's who we are, stand up tall
    We're the red, white and blue
    Fiercely free, that's who!
    Our colours don't run, no sir-ee

Attachment 494605
    Well, British means Scottish, Welsh, English and Irish, and, looking at the Scottish Independence movements, Britain is broken. Don't expect patriotism.

Except from ethnic minorities, since they seem themselves as British, while White English people tend to seem themselves as English, same with the White Scots, especially considering the racism between White Scots and White English people.

Sometimes multiculturalism just can't work, except in cities, like New York City.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.