tbh12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, I am struggling with a question I encountered in a 2010 ISA paper. Here is a link to the paper:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...T-Q10-TEST.PDF

Here is a link to the mark scheme:

http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/aqa%20...m6t-q10-mg.pdf

The question is 12e(ii): Deduce the number of moles of iron (ii) ethanedioate that would react with one mole of potassium manganate (VII) in acidic solution.

The answer in the mark scheme is 1.67. I have no idea how they arrived at this answer.

Any help would be appreciated.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tbh12)
Hey, I am struggling with a question I encountered in a 2010 ISA paper. Here is a link to the paper:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...T-Q10-TEST.PDF

Here is a link to the mark scheme:

http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/aqa%20...m6t-q10-mg.pdf

The question is 12e(ii): Deduce the number of moles of iron (ii) ethanedioate that would react with one mole of potassium manganate (VII) in acidic solution.

The answer in the mark scheme is 1.67. I have no idea how they arrived at this answer.

Any help would be appreciated.
Question 2 gives you the ratio of manganate(VII) to ethandioate ions and question 12b gives you the reaction ratio between ethandioate and iron(III).

The 12e(ii) asks for the reaction ratio between iron(II) ethandioate and manganate(VII)
tbh12
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Question 2 gives you the ratio of manganate(VII) to ethandioate ions and question 12b gives you the reaction ratio between ethandioate and iron(III).

The 12e(ii) asks for the reaction ratio between iron(II) ethandioate and manganate(VII)
Ok, So the ratios I have calculated are as follows:

Manganate (VII) 2: 5 Ethanedioate
Iron (II) 2: 1 Ethanedioate

..I have no idea how to use this information to calculate the ratio between Iron (II) ethandioate and manganate (VII) :-(
charco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tbh12)
Ok, So the ratios I have calculated are as follows:

Manganate (VII) 2: 5 Ethanedioate
Iron (II) 2: 1 Ethanedioate

..I have no idea how to use this information to calculate the ratio between Iron (II) ethandioate and manganate (VII) :-(
manganate(VII) oxidises ethandioate in a 5:2 ratio
iron(III) oxidises ethandioate in a 1:2 ratio

Therefore iron(II) to manganate(VII) is a 1:5 ratio
tbh12
Rep:
?
manganate(VII) oxidises ethandioate in a 5:2 ratio
iron(III) oxidises ethandioate in a 1:2 ratio

Therefore iron(II) to manganate(VII) is a 1:5 ratio
Ah ok, yes I did get this far but dismissed it because I thought it was wrong. From this I calculate that if we have 1 mole of manganate(VII) this would react with 1/5 moles of iron(II) which is 0.2 However, the answer is 1.67. Sorry, I am probably being very stupid but I can't see where I am going wrong.
charco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tbh12)
Ah ok, yes I did get this far but dismissed it because I thought it was wrong. From this I calculate that if we have 1 mole of manganate(VII) this would react with 1/5 moles of iron(II) which is 0.2 However, the answer is 1.67. Sorry, I am probably being very stupid but I can't see where I am going wrong.
This is not what the question actually asks ...
tbh12
Rep:
?
This is not what the question actually asks ...
hmm I really don't understand what is going on so you might have to spell it out to me. The question asks for the reaction ratio between iron(ii) ethanedioate and potassium manganate(VII) in acidic solution. The answer given is 1.67, or a ratio of Iron (II) ethandioate 5: 3 manganate (VII). I don't know how to get to this answer. Also, I don't know how the previous ratio you calculated of iron(II) 1: 5 manganate(VII) helps.
tbh12
Rep:
?
Anyone?
charco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tbh12)
hmm I really don't understand what is going on so you might have to spell it out to me. The question asks for the reaction ratio between iron(ii) ethanedioate and potassium manganate(VII) in acidic solution. The answer given is 1.67, or a ratio of Iron (II) ethandioate 5: 3 manganate (VII). I don't know how to get to this answer. Also, I don't know how the previous ratio you calculated of iron(II) 1: 5 manganate(VII) helps.
OK 12e(ii) Deduce the number of moles of iron(II) ethanedioate that would react with one mole of potassium manganate(VII) in acidic solution.

The equations:

Fe2+ --> Fe3+ + 1e
MnO4- + 8H+ + 5e --> Mn2+ + 4H2O
(C2O4)2- --> 2CO2 + 2e

Manganate(VII) absorbs 5 electrons
Iron ethandioate releases 3 electrons

Hence 1 mol manganate(VII) (5 electrons) will react with 1.67 mol iron(II) ethandioate (1.67 x 3 = 5 electrons)
tbh12
Rep:
?
Ah I see, thanks a lot.

That seems a lot of work for just 1 mark!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (8)
16.33%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
22.45%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (3)
6.12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (7)
14.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
8.16%
I think it's an unfair expectation (15)
30.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.04%

Watched Threads