Is Aston a semi-target?

Watch this thread
SlimShady96
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Aston have one of the best business schools in the country/europe/world why are they not seen as such by employers?
uxa595
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
It's just full of BTEC student though...
username738914
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SlimShady96)
Aston have one of the best business schools in the country/europe/world why are they not seen as such by employers?
Full on non-target. Haven't seen anyone in FO from there at all (either in real life or on LinkedIn).

It's decent for back office I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
unfortunately not, although i know a few grads in non-FO roles from Aston

either way, it's up to you to get the job you want, not your uni. sure it might help.. but its not the be-all and end-all
SlimShady96
Rep:
How comes Cass is a semi-target if Aston is regarded slightly higher?
Kiltennel
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Where are you getting "one of the best business schools in the country/europe/world" from? Aston does well in marketing, it's pretty poor in finance and accounting relative to other schools in the UK.
SlimShady96
Rep:
(Original post by Kiltennel)
Where are you getting "one of the best business schools in the country/europe/world" from? Aston does well in marketing, it's pretty poor in finance and accounting relative to other schools in the UK.
Employment is one of the best and various rankings in tables including the palmes league
spoli21
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Employment is one of the best and various rankings in tables including the palmes league
Post some links/sources
Glenbard
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You are misinformed. Aston is not one of the best business schools, neither in Euope, nor the U.K.( though, you could say it is the second best one in the city of Birmingham)
High Stakes
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
No.
Kiltennel
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Which can be largely attributed to the year-long placement. Employment isn't a great metric to gauge prospects by if you're looking at top jobs (banking, consulting and law mostly). The simple reality is that banks don't target Aston students (other than DB's Birmingham office). It doesn't mean you wont be able to land interviews, you'll just have to work much harder at getting them.
SlimShady96
Rep:
(Original post by Glenbard)
You are misinformed. Aston is not one of the best business schools, neither in Euope, nor the U.K.( though, you could say it is the second best one in the city of Birmingham)
Sounds like a bias Birmingham student to me?
SlimShady96
Rep:
(Original post by spoli21)
Post some links/sources
http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/b...d-kingdom.html

http://uk.businessinsider.com/qs-ran...pe-2015-5?op=1

I've read that they are consistently ranked in the top 10 for employability for the last 20 years can't find the statistics though... but on unistats for my course that I have applied to it states 92% employed within 6 months and none actively seeking employment.
SlimShady96
Rep:
(Original post by Kiltennel)
Which can be largely attributed to the year-long placement. Employment isn't a great metric to gauge prospects by if you're looking at top jobs (banking, consulting and law mostly). The simple reality is that banks don't target Aston students (other than DB's Birmingham office). It doesn't mean you wont be able to land interviews, you'll just have to work much harder at getting them.
Surely the integrated placement year has allowed them to build many different connections with businesses over the years which reflects the employability rankings?
Sae.HH
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
How comes Cass is a semi-target if Aston is regarded slightly higher?
Aston isn't regarded higher...
whydoidothis?
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I live in Birmingham. All the wannabes go there. Just because it has a high employment rate does not mean its better. Does not mean people who go to Aston get the good jobs. Yes everyone gets employed but most of them people are doing crap jobs. People who go to Cass might be unemployed for a while as they are looking for top jobs.
SlimShady96
Rep:
(Original post by whydoidothis?)
I live in Birmingham. All the wannabes go there. Just because it has a high employment rate does not mean its better. Does not mean people who go to Aston get the good jobs. Yes everyone gets employed but most of them people are doing crap jobs. People who go to Cass might be unemployed for a while as they are looking for top jobs.
What exactly do you mean by 'wannabes' and 'crap jobs' ?
whydoidothis?
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What exactly do you mean by 'wannabes' and 'crap jobs' ?
Half the people I know want to stay in brum. All the ones who are going to Aston are the people who could not get into Warwick or Birmingham. I have heard 'if I cant get into Birmingham I will just go aston' a billion times. Basically the AAA and above students all go to Warwick or move away from home.

As for crap jobs, I know someone who has a first in law from Aston, been a store manager for 2 years now. My mates brother loved Aston but told my mate not to go there, he did biomed and could not get post grad/undergrad medicine. Now doing research earning 22k. He got his job pretty quickly though, that's the only decent thing.
High Stakes
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
could not get post grad/undergrad medicine.
To be honest, entry into post graduate study or medicine doesn't take into account the university someone went to. They could have just been a chit applicant.
SlimShady96
Rep:
Half the people I know want to stay in brum. All the ones who are going to Aston are the people who could not get into Warwick or Birmingham. I have heard 'if I cant get into Birmingham I will just go aston' a billion times. Basically the AAA and above students all go to Warwick or move away from home.

As for crap jobs, I know someone who has a first in law from Aston, been a store manager for 2 years now. My mates brother loved Aston but told my mate not to go there, he did biomed and could not get post grad/undergrad medicine. Now doing research earning 22k. He got his job pretty quickly though, that's the only decent thing.
I see, but from what I know they are not known for law or biomed but the business school, so unfortunately what you said isn't relevant to me. Also, I've heard that generally yes Birmingham is better than Aston and you should go there instead...unless it is a business related course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads