Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PGDE: Scotland for a PhD graduate Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I've a few questions if anyone has any advice on them.

I'm 28, Irish and am currently completing a PhD in law (legal history to be precise), prior to this, I did an LLM and an LLB in Law and History where I graduated with a double first. I also have outside experience in the Irish military and working for an NGO in the USA. I have
    I've recently been teaching (at third level) as part of my PhD and really enjoyed it, way more than the research aspects and am considering going into teaching. Ideally to teach history as that's always been my main passion. As such, I'm looking at applying for a PGDE in September (I understand it's too late for me to apply this year).

Basically, I'm wondering how hard it is to get into secondary teaching, particularly history. I've no direct experience working with children. The closest being teaching university students and working with 18 year olds in the army.
    Ideally, I'd like to go to Edinburgh, based on my above CV, what are my chances? Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.