Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Islam and Jesus Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Background; I'm training to be an RE teacher and although we had a module on Islam (and Judaism; it was split half and half) last year the guy who was supposed to teach the Islam part continually didn't turn up. Thus I did my assessment on Judaism due to not being taught any of the Islam syllabus. Since this I have taught myself some things about Islam in order to be able to devise worthwhile lessons for my pupils in schools. Here is Northern Ireland it is statutory for pupils to learn about 2 other world religions besides Christianity (Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and Sikhism are the most popular.

My issue is, as the pupils are mostly and sometimes even exclusively Christian in the classes in the schools in the particular part of Northern Ireland where I live and undertake placement, the question often arises about what Muslims believe about Jesus and/or what Islam teaches about Jesus. I have no idea how to answer this.

It would be great if a Muslim or someone with knowledge of Islam could give me some information on this including a simple explanation which 12-14 year olds will understand,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'insegnante)
    Background; I'm training to be an RE teacher and although we had a module on Islam (and Judaism; it was split half and half) last year the guy who was supposed to teach the Islam part continually didn't turn up. Thus I did my assessment on Judaism due to not being taught any of the Islam syllabus. Since this I have taught myself some things about Islam in order to be able to devise worthwhile lessons for my pupils in schools. Here is Northern Ireland it is statutory for pupils to learn about 2 other world religions besides Christianity (Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and Sikhism are the most popular.

My issue is, as the pupils are mostly and sometimes even exclusively Christian in the classes in the schools in the particular part of Northern Ireland where I live and undertake placement, the question often arises about what Muslims believe about Jesus and/or what Islam teaches about Jesus. I have no idea how to answer this.

It would be great if a Muslim or someone with knowledge of Islam could give me some information on this including a simple explanation which 12-14 year olds will understand,
    Jesus is not believed to be the Son of God, He is not believed to have Ressurected and (i think) the vast majority don't believe he was really crucified.

Also they don't believe in a truine God.

Islam teaches that Jesus was a prophet of God, similar to other prophets like Moses and Elijah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrappy-coco)
    Jesus is not believed to be the Son of God, He is not believed to have Ressurected and (i think) the vast majority don't believe he was really crucified.

Also they don't believe in a truine God.

Islam teaches that Jesus was a prophet of God, similar to other prophets like Moses and Elijah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All muslims believe he wasnt crucified as it states in the quran 'ما قتلوه و ما صلبوه' Apologies i dont have reference but that means 'they did not kill him nor did they crucify him.

Webelieve he is a prophet sent from God, he has not passed away rather he was taken upto heaven and will inevitably descend down to Earth at the end of time when Imam Mahdi and Dajjal (anti christ) are around. He will kill dajjal, there will be a time of peace on earth, then he will die on earth and be buried in Madina Near Prophet Muhammad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess an easy place to start is to watch a documentary. ITV made an interesting documentary called "The Muslim Jesus" which you can watch on youtube. It should give you a basic understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPWK7w1ov4c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giratina)
    All muslims believe he wasnt crucified as it states in the quran 'ما قتلوه و ما صلبوه' Apologies i dont have reference but that means 'they did not kill him nor did they crucify him.

Webelieve he is a prophet sent from God, he has not passed away rather he was taken upto heaven and will inevitably descend down to Earth at the end of time when Imam Mahdi and Dajjal (anti christ) are around. He will kill dajjal, there will be a time of peace on earth, then he will die on earth and be buried in Madina Near Prophet Muhammad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shabir Ally doesn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Shabir Ally doesn't

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Doesnt? Doesnt believe he wasnt crucified. Then he is not muslim as it would be denying a verse of the quran.

'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what Christianity teaches about Jesus except
    - Jesus did not die
    - Jesus is/was not God or God's son

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt? Doesnt believe he wasnt crucified. Then he is not muslim as it would be denying a verse of the quran.

'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with what you are saying, I'm just alerting you that some muslim movements argue a different interpretation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what you are saying, I'm just alerting you that some muslim movements argue a different interpretation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A bit off-topic, but I was just thinking. I have heard the odd Christians say how they might not believe Jesus is son of God or that they don't believe Jesus died on the cross, or how they disagree with some other fundamental tenet of Christianity, yet I have never personally heard another Christian respond by saying that because they have a different belief, that they are not a Christian.

ReputationRep:

We consider Jesus one of the greatest of God’s messengers to mankind. The Quran confirms his virgin birth, and a chapter of the Quran is entitled ‘Maryam’ (Mary). The Quran describes the birth of Jesus as follows:
    (Remember) when the angels said, “O Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him (God), whose name is the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, revered in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (to God). He will speak to the people from his cradle and as a man, and he is of the righteous.” She said, “My Lord, how can I have a child when no mortal has touched me?” He said, “So (it will be). God creates what He wills. If He decrees a thing, He says to it only, ‘Be!’ and it is.” (Quran, 3:45-47)

Jesus was born miraculously by the command of God, the same command that had brought Adam into being with neither a father nor a mother. God has said: The case of Jesus with God is like the case of Adam. He created him from dust, and then He said to him, “Be!” and he came into being. (Quran, 3:59)

During his prophetic mission, Jesus performed many miracles. God tells us that Jesus said: “I have come to you with a sign from your Lord. I make for you the shape of a bird out of clay, I breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by God’s permission. I heal the blind from birth and the leper. And I bring the dead to life by God’s permission. And I tell you what you eat and what you store in your houses....” (Quran, 3:49)

We believe that Jesus was not crucified. It was the plan of Jesus’ enemies to crucify him, but God saved him and raised him up to Him. And the likeness of Jesus was put over another man. Jesus’ enemies took this man and crucified him, thinking that he was Jesus. God has said: ...They said, “We killed the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of God.” They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but the likeness of him was put on another man (and they killed that man)... (Quran, 4:157)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    A bit off-topic, but I was just thinking. I have heard the odd Christians say how they might not believe Jesus is son of God or that they don't believe Jesus died on the cross, or how they disagree with some other fundamental tenet of Christianity, yet I have never personally heard another Christian respond by saying that because they have a different belief, that they are not a Christian.
    I think it's quite common actually, especially with the absolute 'core' tenants. I'm in agreement that outside the core ideas there are different Christian sects with ideas on specific doctrines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I find that weird.

I've never come across a spirit filled born-again Christian who doesn't believe Jesus is God's son, was crucified and resurrected on the third day, ascended to heaven.

The whole message of Christianity is God's sacrifice for us. God reaching down to mankind in human form, God crucified.

This is the message of salvation and redemption. Of God's grace. If you don't believe in this how can you be a Christian? You can be another faith ie believing in one you have made up yourself.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And then what? Interested to know what happens after you believe Jesus dies and is buried. What happens to his spirit? Also what happens after the time of peace on earth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I find that weird.

I've never come across a spirit filled born-again Christian who doesn't believe Jesus is God's son, was crucified and resurrected on the third day, ascended to heaven.

The whole message of Christianity is God's sacrifice for us. God reaching down to mankind in human form, God crucified.

This is the message of salvation and redemption. Of God's grace. If you don't believe in this how can you be a Christian? You can be another faith ie believing in one you have made up yourself.
    I probably phrased that wrong. For example, some Jehovah Witnesses will say that Jesus is not God the Son. I'm talking more about the concept of Jesus as a part of the Trinity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    And then what? Interested to know what happens after you believe Jesus dies and is buried. What happens to his spirit? Also what happens after the time of peace on earth?
    I've always wondered about Islamic ideas of a 'anti-christ'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's Jehova Witnesses who don't accept Jesus as the Son of God or part of the trinity

(Original post by FluffyCherry)
    We consider Jesus one of the greatest of God’s messengers to mankind. The Quran confirms his virgin birth, and a chapter of the Quran is entitled ‘Maryam’ (Mary). The Quran describes the birth of Jesus as follows:
    (Remember) when the angels said, “O Mary, God gives you good news of a word from Him (God), whose name is the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, revered in this world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (to God). He will speak to the people from his cradle and as a man, and he is of the righteous.” She said, “My Lord, how can I have a child when no mortal has touched me?” He said, “So (it will be). God creates what He wills. If He decrees a thing, He says to it only, ‘Be!’ and it is.” (Quran, 3:45-47)

Jesus was born miraculously by the command of God, the same command that had brought Adam into being with neither a father nor a mother. God has said: The case of Jesus with God is like the case of Adam. He created him from dust, and then He said to him, “Be!” and he came into being. (Quran, 3:59)

During his prophetic mission, Jesus performed many miracles. God tells us that Jesus said: “I have come to you with a sign from your Lord. I make for you the shape of a bird out of clay, I breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by God’s permission. I heal the blind from birth and the leper. And I bring the dead to life by God’s permission. And I tell you what you eat and what you store in your houses....” (Quran, 3:49)

We believe that Jesus was not crucified. It was the plan of Jesus’ enemies to crucify him, but God saved him and raised him up to Him. And the likeness of Jesus was put over another man. Jesus’ enemies took this man and crucified him, thinking that he was Jesus. God has said: ...They said, “We killed the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, the messenger of God.” They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, but the likeness of him was put on another man (and they killed that man)... (Quran, 4:157)
    Thank you! Do you mind if I copy this into a word document to use as a hand out for pupils?

Reza Aslan doesn't either.

ReputationRep:
    are you up for reading some stuff ?

A classical Islamic scholar wrote a great book called "Stories of the Prophets", with stories of Prophets that you know in the bible, but with the Islamic narrative of them. There is a section about Jesus (peace be upon him) in there too, which details his life according to our religion's narrative. Here is a pdf link

http://www.icorlando.org/pdfs/storie...e_prophets.pdf

click on Prophet Jesus's name on the link in content page .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Reza Aslan doesn't either.
    Forgot about him too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's Jehova Witnesses who don't accept Jesus as the Son of God or part of the trinity

Thank you! Do you mind if I copy this into a word document to use as a hand out for pupils?
    Yeah why not. And for your information, I got it from this website

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.