The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Overthinking, obsessing, ruminating ...

Soooo I used have a big tendency of obsessing and thinking over and over again about little things like how I look (dark circles/bags under my eyes, my little wonky bottom tooth), what people were thinking of me and how I spoke, and replay in my head little tiffs I had with people, basically dwelling on everything and anything. It was during the time I was at college, so all the stress of work and deadlines didn't really help and probably upped my anxiety. But looking back now, I think, why did I let myself go through all this? And what was this state of overthinking and mentally obsessing about everything, and why. What's the psychology behind it?

I think since doing things I love and enjoy doing, like being around family & true friends, painting, learning a new language, going out to travel and visiting places, I feel this has helped a lot and I'm no longer worried about these things.

Has anyone experienced overthinking and obsessing about things and situations? Do you still ruminate about things still? And how do you deal with rumination?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vetesens
Soooo I used have a big tendency of obsessing and thinking over and over again about little things like how I look (dark circles/bags under my eyes, my little wonky bottom tooth), what people were thinking of me and how I spoke, and replay in my head little tiffs I had with people, basically dwelling on everything and anything. It was during the time I was at college, so all the stress of work and deadlines didn't really help and probably upped my anxiety. But looking back now, I think, why did I let myself go through all this? And what was this state of overthinking and mentally obsessing about everything, and why. What's the psychology behind it?

I think since doing things I love and enjoy doing, like being around family & true friends, painting, learning a new language, going out to travel and visiting places, I feel this has helped a lot and I'm no longer worried about these things.

Has anyone experienced overthinking and obsessing about things and situations? Do you still ruminate about things still? And how do you deal with rumination?

i know exactly what you mean. I still do this every single day and it really gets to me sometimes. I've done it ever since the age of about 8 and it's kind of a habit i have gotten into. Everytime im by myself, eg in my room at night, ill end up going over every little detail of the day and the things that went wrong stand out to me more than the things that didnt. But i also end up seeing problems when actually there wasn't. I don't really know what to suggest to help you, but i'll tell you that you're not alone and you can talk to me at any time :smile:

Latest