Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Planning an effective workout? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, ive been dieting and going to the gym prtty seriously since last summer and i have lost weight and stuff and the dieting is fairly straightforward, but im still a bit confused about working out.

There are SO many workouts floating around online, SO many appraoches to take, and i cant afford a personal trainer to help me work out whats right for me :/

ive been kind of finding it hard to stick to a work out routine since i always feel like im not doing it right, this is what i normally do:

1 hour or so cardio (mix of treadmill/bike/steps)
    then i try and follow online tutorials so ill do a full body workout from online one day, on another, say, legs, and on another, arms. (and i generally go another day and just do whatever - maybe full body again)

but i just feel unsure because since i have heard that mixing up your workout is good, hence me doing different areas each day, but i just feel like im not being very consistent and like i dont really understand how to approach this. i really dont feel much fitter.

how often should i do weight/muscle training? how often should i do cardio?

im just hoping that a fitness fanatic will see this, and if you are one then all i want is a sort of explanation where
    if you imagine you had to explain to someone who knew absolutely nothing about working out, how much to do, in what order, what to focus on, what to expect, and maybe even what moves to try, then what would you tell them?

i go probably 4 times a week, spend 1-2 hours. i have a part time job and am on a gap year so i dont really have much else to commit myself to. most online workouts emphasise that OH MY GOD 3 MINUTE WORKOUT!! but ive got time so i want to be able to do the best workout i can, not the quickest.

hopefully someone will be able to make sense of this.

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    What are your goals?
    Male or female?
    Bodyfat % ?
    Height and weight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappyLifting)
    What are your goals?
    Male or female?
    Bodyfat % ?
    Height and weight?
    yup sorry i always forget the basics

goals are to lose weight i guess but thats not priority since i am a healthy weight i think
    to get fit and tone up? partially aesthetic but also practical, like, i want to be healthy and fit and strong. i just want to be able to see or feel a difference.

female

uh im afraid i dont know, before i started going to the gym it was slightly above average, early 30's %? now i think its probably fairly different, that was june last year and ive lost maybe 6kg since then? though i know fat doesnt equal weight

height is 168cm/ 5 foot six, weight always seems to dance around between 62kg and 64kg, so maybe lets say 63. it was less before christmas haha

hope thats helpful

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the stuff you see online is bull tbh, just trying to sell you stuff that already exists to you for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    A lot of the stuff you see online is bull tbh, just trying to sell you stuff that already exists to you for free
    aha, i cant say that anything ive seen online has been wanting to sell me anything, but sound advice anyways

ReputationRep:
    sex is the best workout

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmergencyBagels)
    aha, i cant say that anything ive seen online has been wanting to sell me anything, but sound advice anyways
    Just saw your other posts - I would say that you're on a decent plan. Losing weight means you have to burn more calories than you consume, which is done through your nutrition while cardio helps. However to look leaner/more toned, you need to build muscle and you do that through weights. Would stick with your current plan until you feel your body is adapting to it then switch things up. No routine is perfect as it all depends on your specific body type therefore it's best to mix things up yourself and try out new routines. Though would recommend you doing compound exercises in your resistance training to activate the most muscle fibres and elevate your metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilove3rabd1ck)
    sex is the best workout
    thank you sage ilove3rabd1ck i will hold your words close to my heart for as long as i shall live

(Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Just saw your other posts - I would say that you're on a decent plan. Losing weight means you have to burn more calories than you consume, which is done through your nutrition while cardio helps. However to look leaner/more toned, you need to build muscle and you do that through weights. Would stick with your current plan until you feel your body is adapting to it then switch things up. No routine is perfect as it all depends on your specific body type therefore it's best to mix things up yourself and try out new routines. Though would recommend you doing compound exercises in your resistance training to activate the most muscle fibres and elevate your metabolism.
    ok great thank you i guess i will keep on going

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmergencyBagels)
    thank you sage ilove3rabd1ck i will hold your words close to my heart for as long as i shall live

do I get a bagel for helping out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilove3rabd1ck)
    do I get a bagel for helping out
    is the fact that you have touched my heart eternally not enough?

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't got a specific fitness goal then your best work out is probably just one you will enjoy! In terms of how much weight training vs. cardio, it depends on your priorities, just do more of whatever you want to improve most at/enjoy the most. As far as cardio goes, you could swap steady state for some intervals on the treadmill or something? That would improve your fitness etc more than steady state. Keep trying to improve and challenge yourself, don't let yourself get stuck in a rut and keeping running at 12kmph for 6 months even though it's become easy! For weights it might be worth speaking to an instructor at your gym and getting a few tips on exercises/form, they should give you some advice without making you pay for a personal trainer session.

ReputationRep:
    Cardio is not even that great. I used to do a lot of cardio and it's really not that effective. I would really recommend looking into Kayla Itsines BBG, it's super challenging but the results portray the hard work and effort put in! It has changed so many people's lifestyles and i'm witnessing that for myself. Let me know what you do

ReputationRep:
    Nice content

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.