The Student Room Group

A level Maths Advice PLS HELP!!

Hey, I just got an offer from my 1st choice university. They require AS Level Mathematics.
Is it possible to start C1 C2 and S1 or D1 and complete the units by May
How long should i spend on each unit
Reply 1
I have been to an exam centre and enrolled for the exams, Im self-teaching each unit
It could be. As for content, once you understand the basics, it can be fairly easy to apply them in the harder situations. C1 and C2, are pretty good units that you can get your head around, especially if you're self teaching the topics.

And as for S1/D1, most people I know prefer D1, as it's quite straightforward once you learn all the theorems and stuff.(I've only been through half of each, but they've both been okay so far.)

I've learned all of C1 and C2, as well as parts of M1, S1, and FP1, since September in Further Maths, so that's been about what? About 4 months. (-holidays). But I know people in normal Maths classes have only done roughly C1 and M1/S1. So it's gonna take a lot of work, and depends on how much you go through each week.

How good/ confident are you at Maths?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for your reply. Ive done further maths GCSE so i know half of C1.
Can i learn C2 and S1 in 1 month each and revise exam papers for the 2 months after that
C2 is the only one that can trip you, so be extra cautious with that one and then it should be a breeeeeeze :smile:
Original post by ALEXIS120
Can i learn C2 and S1 in 1 month each and revise exam papers for the 2 months after that

I don't think it requires 2 months to go through past papers, because although there are loads of questions, in a month you'll surely run out. I'm not sure how much content there is in S1, but it should be doable.

But perhaps you might want to think about spending some extra time making sure you understand the topics. or you can do so after some past paper questions, just so you'll have more of an idea of the kind of difficulty of questions.

For example, in C2. we were given a past paper to do for the holidays, and I'd completely forgotten how to answer the series questions, because they were different and harder than the sort we'd do in class. (Also trapezium rule stumped me, because as it turns out, we weren't even taught it, though it is pretty simple to me now.)

Also, out of interest, what exam board are you doing? I'm taking AQA.
Reply 6
i can do any exam board. im thinking of doing AQA. Im going to pay for my exams tomorrow.
How much of the course have you completed in class
i can do any exam board. im thinking of doing AQA. Im going to pay for my exams tomorrow.
How much of the course have you completed in class

Well, as I've stated before, I'm taking Maths and Further Maths, so thus far we have completed C1, C2, and done some parts of S1, M1, D1, and FP1
Reply 8
Original post by flyingpanda
Well, as I've stated before, I'm taking Maths and Further Maths, so thus far we have completed C1, C2, and done some parts of S1, M1, D1, and FP1

thanks. so you have about 2 more modules to go plus other A levels?
I think C1 and C2 and S1 is possible in 5 months.
should a unit a month be ok?

S1 is harder than d1. D1 is really straight forward but the boundaries are a lot high because it's easier. Think about which one will be quicker to master and won't give you unnecessary hassle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by AmazingArry
S1 is harder than d1. D1 is really straight forward but the boundaries are a lot high because it's easier. Think about which one will be quicker to master and won't give you unnecessary hassle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for your advice
ill take D1 C1 AND C2
If i do 6 hours solid meaningful revision per day til the exam. i think i will smash it

Quick Reply

Latest