Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would i be able to ask exam invigilators this question during exam? Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Say there was a question in the paper and it had a word i didnt understand, would the invigilator explain the word to me?

last year in geography exam, they used the word ''hinder'', i was on the brink of not knowing the definition but guessed that it meant disadvantages, and thank goodness it's right. but i dont want that to happen again.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can't, that's the whole part of an exam. They may be giving away answers if they tell you a definition of a word

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The awkward moment when "hinder" doesn't mean "disadvantages".
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alana_p)
    Of course you can't, that's the whole part of an exam. They may be giving away answers if they tell you a definition of a word

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh i thought theyre only not allowed to tell you the content...which is obvious, but they can tell you vague things like definition of the words in questions
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    The awkward moment when "hinder" doesn't mean "disadvantages".
    it's on the same line more or less

ReputationRep:
    You are not allowed to talk to the invigilator unless there's an emergency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    oh i thought theyre only not allowed to tell you the content...which is obvious, but they can tell you vague things like definition of the words in questions
    Certainly not, if they did that in all exams there would be constant noise and risk of telling the answer. Read more and work on your vocabulary

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    Say there was a question in the paper and it had a word i didnt understand, would the invigilator explain the word to me?

last year in geography exam, they used the word ''hinder'', i was on the brink of not knowing the definition but guessed that it meant disadvantages, and thank goodness it's right. but i dont want that to happen again.
    Definitely not! In my human geography paper the word "prosperity" was used and i blanked and had 5 minutes to answer the 11 mark question. It can easily happen that you don't know the meaning of a word but you certainly cannot ask for help. Think logically what the word means, in context to the question, then go on to answer.

ReputationRep:
    Brush up on your vocabulary, it'll help with English Language and other subjects

ReputationRep:
    I worry this will happen to me!!! It's happened to me in past papers.

ReputationRep:
    hinder always crops up in geography papers. to improve on your vocab firstly make sure you know the definitions you need for the spec (in revision guides or online) and then to improve on vocab that's not necessarily a geographical or scientific term etc then go through past papers and highlight the words you don't understand as they crop up in most exams

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.