The Student Room Group

When do I apply for student finance?

My school hasnt told me much about student finance, but when I applied through ucas I did tick a box to be reminded about applying. Should I bring it up with my sixth form head? Also what is the process?

Thank You
Original post by CoronationStreet
My school hasnt told me much about student finance, but when I applied through ucas I did tick a box to be reminded about applying. Should I bring it up with my sixth form head? Also what is the process?

Thank You

Applications for student finance open in February. It isn't your school's job to deal with your finance application as nothing at all goes through the school. It is a purely family matter and completely private.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Applications for student finance open in February. It isn't your school's job to deal with your finance application as nothing at all goes through the school. It is a purely family matter and completely private.

To slightly hijack, is this the feb of the year of matriculation? So if deferred, the year after confirmation?
Original post by keromedic
To slightly hijack, is this the feb of the year of matriculation? So if deferred, the year after confirmation?

It opens next month for starting in September 2016. You'll apply from Feb 2017 to start in September 2017.
Original post by keromedic

Yes. So, if you're a 2016/17 entry student, you apply then. Regardless of whether you applied to UCAS this year or deffered to this year.
Reply 5
Original post by CoronationStreet

Thank You

As above, applications for 2016 starters will open in the next few weeks. I've seen one uni advising that this is likely to be 29th Feb, so don't worry if it seems quite late. You won't have had a reminder, as applications haven't opened yet.

You apply online. If you live in England, this is the Student Finance England application website:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

The system will give instructions as you go through it. Your parents (or the parent & partner you live with if they're divorced/separated) will need to give details of their income as part of your assessment. If they're ready to do that when the system opens, this will speed things up for you. Make sure that what they tell SF matches their tax records, as the two systems will be cross-checked.

If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, these each have their own online system which you can find by Googling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending