Help with modulus functions in P2 plz

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Adil Bhai
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Just wanted to know how to deal with modulus functions. For example if x<0 and the funtion is y= /x^2-5/+12 how do u find inverse funtion. Also if u have any good modulus questions please post then here.
Taslima
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Adil Bhai)
Just wanted to know how to deal with modulus functions. For example if x<0 and the funtion is y= /x^2-5/+12 how do u find inverse funtion. Also if u have any good modulus questions please post then here.
modulus functions, are just reflected in the x-axis, as there are no negative x values. for the inverse of a function, all yu need to do is swap x for y, and solve for y.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
With:

y = |x^2-5| +12

You can tell that with |x^2 - 5|, the modulus part is only important when it is negative, or when:

x < √5

So when x > √5, just draw the graph y = x^2 + 8, as the modulus function has no effect past this point - it is making an already positive expression positive.

But when x < √5, the (x^2 - 5) part is reflected about the x-axis, then raised by 12 because of the +12 on the end (I think). x^2 will always be positive for real values of x, but when the binomial (x^2 - 5) goes below zero, the modulus makes it positive, therefore whereas if x = 2,

x^2 - 5:

2^2 - 5 = -1
|2^2 - 5| = 1

So instead of being below the y-axis, it will be the same amount above the y-axis. I think,.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (17)
8.02%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (14)
6.6%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (44)
20.75%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (27)
12.74%
No, nothing has changed (70)
33.02%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (40)
18.87%

Watched Threads