Chittesh14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello guys,

I came across a few questions and wasn't sure about their answers as my textbook does not have answers...

1. What puts blood under pressure?

The heart muscles out blood under pressure as it contracts and the heart beat squeezes the blood through the arteries which are under pressure.

2. How could Joe's mum avoid taking medication for high blood pressure?

She can do regular exercise to strengthen her heart muscles which will in return reduce her blood pressure or regulate it, making her need no medication.

3. Why do we eat salt when it can cause heart problems?

We need salts in our body as they contain calcium which strengthens the bones in our body.
Furthermore, they regulate electrical activity and form an electrical gradient across the membranes of the neurones do that the nerve cells (neurones) can carry information around the body.

This is what I originally wrote - "without salt! the body does not retain any water which will cause dehydration or even death in severe cases."
rileystringer1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chittesh14)
Hello guys,

I came across a few questions and wasn't sure about their answers as my textbook does not have answers...

1. What puts blood under pressure?

The heart muscles out blood under pressure as it contracts and the heart beat squeezes the blood through the arteries which are under pressure.

2. How could Joe's mum avoid taking medication for high blood pressure?

She can do regular exercise to strengthen her heart muscles which will in return reduce her blood pressure or regulate it, making her need no medication.

3. Why do we eat salt when it can cause heart problems?

We need salts in our body as they contain calcium which strengthens the bones in our body.
Furthermore, they regulate electrical activity and form an electrical gradient across the membranes of the neurones do that the nerve cells (neurones) can carry information around the body.

This is what I originally wrote - "without salt! the body does not retain any water which will cause dehydration or even death in severe cases."
1) Pretty much right. The left ventricle contracts forcing blood out of the aorta and through blood vessels at high pressure
2) (As well as regular exercise) Eat a healthy, balanced diet i.e. not too much saturated fat as that increases cholesterol levels which increases blood pressure
3) Don't know the importance of salts, I guess they are important also in maintaining the right water potential in blood as without them water potential would be very high, the blood would be really dilute, also I think they help prevent against oedema
Chittesh14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by rileystringer1)
1) Pretty much right. The left ventricle contracts forcing blood out of the aorta and through blood vessels at high pressure
2) (As well as regular exercise) Eat a healthy, balanced diet i.e. not too much saturated fat as that increases cholesterol levels which increases blood pressure
3) Don't know the importance of salts, I guess they are important also in maintaining the right water potential in blood as without them water potential would be very high, the blood would be really dilute, also I think they help prevent against oedema
Thanks buddy yeah I could've wrote saturated fat or smoking or high amounts of salt for question 2.
They all cause high blood pressure which is the overarching factor which increases the risk of developing heart disease, right? Correct me if I'm wrong :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
rileystringer1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chittesh14)
Thanks buddy yeah I could've wrote saturated fat or smoking or high amounts of salt for question 2.
They all cause high blood pressure which is the overarching factor which increases the risk of developing heart disease, right? Correct me if I'm wrong :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
yep hypertension isnt good, if blood is moving through vessels at higher pressure theres more chance of damaging them i.e. atheroma formation which leads to things like angina, thrombosis & aneurysms
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (27)
16.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (26)
16.35%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (23)
14.47%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (44)
27.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (27)
16.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed