The Student Room Group

Looking to get into teaching, ADVICE PLEASE!

Hi guys,

So I'm looking to get into primary teaching and there is so much information out there that my brain is frazzled.

Here's my situation:
I'm 26 and therefore would like to be a qualified teacher as soon as possible.
I previously studied and completed one year of Mathematics, Statistics and Finance, however left before completing the full second year and switched after a year of another course i.e. I've used 3 years of funding.
For this reason I don't see myself being able to afford studying full time.
I'm studying in Scotland.

I've heard about studying other degrees related to working with children and then doing a year's postgraduate but I'm really looking into whether I need a full degree (3 years full time/6 years part-time) or if there is a quicker way to get to the postgraduate stage?

Thank you to anyone who gives any advice at all, wishing I could go back in time and just realise in the beginning that primary teaching was what I was desperate to do!

Thanks again,
Nicola
I think you can still do an Open University degree even though you've used up three years of funding (you can also transfer your uni credits so you could finish a degree in just 1 year). Contact them and ask? Once you have your BA/BSc you can do a one-year PGCE course which would enable you to teach, or you could do 'on the job' teacher training via the School Direct or Teach First schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending