Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Launching a career in politics Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I joined the Conservatives last month (I've been a supporter for years but thought 17 was a good time to join) and have been having discussions with the lead town councillor (a Conservative), and I've been the first student member they've had join locally in a year and he really wants me to be an active member. It's important to note that I've had 'links' with the town councillor for a long time.

He is very close to my local MP and said that if I do become an active member he can launch me a career in politics whether it is a advisory, councillor or parliamentary level - it's just a matter of time. I'm 17 and 'fresh-faced' and he really does seem genuine however I'm not sure a career in politics would be the right thing. Going from volunteer to advisor to PPC. He was saying how he could see me as a PPC (in an safe Labour seat) in 2020 but I really cannot see that. It seems hugely unrealistic, but he seems pretty positive about it.

So yeah that's the issue, and the fact that I probably won't be living locally from 2017 and so will lose the links. Also the local tory association is just full of old, white men whom I have nothing in common with.

Should I get involved more and try and launch a career in this field? I'm not so sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Okay so I joined the Conservatives last month (I've been a supporter for years but thought 17 was a good time to join) and have been having discussions with the lead town councillor (a Conservative), and I've been the first student member they've had join locally in a year and he really wants me to be an active member. It's important to note that I've had 'links' with the town councillor for a long time.

He is very close to my local MP and said that if I do become an active member he can launch me a career in politics whether it is a advisory, councillor or parliamentary level - it's just a matter of time. I'm 17 and 'fresh-faced' and he really does seem genuine however I'm not sure a career in politics would be the right thing. Going from volunteer to advisor to PPC. He was saying how he could see me as a PPC (in an safe Labour seat) in 2020 but I really cannot see that. It seems hugely unrealistic, but he seems pretty positive about it.

So yeah that's the issue, and the fact that I probably won't be living locally from 2017 and so will lose the links. Also the local tory association is just full of old, white men whom I have nothing in common with.

Should I get involved more and try and launch a career in this field? I'm not so sure...
    For what it's worth, I think the better politicians are the ones who've actually done something in the real world before becoming politicians. My advice to you would be to do start your adult life by earning your own living for about ten fifteen years or so in whatever takes your fancy - become a plumber or a doctor, a postman or a teacher or, better still, run your own business or shop. You can still get involved in politics as a volunteer if you're interested! And then, with all that experience behind you, you'll be in a much better position to become a full-time politician and your electorate will think you are that much more credible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Schoon)
    For what it's worth, I think the better politicians are the ones who've actually done something in the real world before becoming politicians. My advice to you would be to do start your adult life by earning your own living for about ten fifteen years or so in whatever takes your fancy - become a plumber or a doctor, a postman or a teacher or, better still, run your own business or shop. You can still get involved in politics as a volunteer if you're interested! And then, with all that experience behind you, you'll be in a much better position to become a full-time politician and your electorate will think you are that much more credible.
    Thank you for your words of wisdom!

ReputationRep:

Seems legit

OP just in case: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_grooming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Seems legit

Hahahahhahahahahahaha

ReputationRep:

I'm going to push party loyalties a side for a moment and mention something which is needs to be addressed for the future prosperity of our nation.

If you want to get into politics for the right reasons may I suggest that you pay a lot attention to the plight of the self employed.

You need to argue that the Universal Credit/Tax Credit system is still to complex for the self employed and puts a lot of people off from trying to start their own business.

You also need to address that Universal Credit/Tax Credit system doesn't give people the opportunity to do self employed work outside of their normal work hours because its a complex system.

And finally you need to argue that if disabled people are to work their way out of poverty Universal Credit needs to give disabled people self employment options.

There are a lot of things which IDS has ignored when it comes to self employment options and I reckon if you can champion that cause you may take a safe Labour seat.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Try to get some experience or something, luckily my form tutor was Sajid David's advisor, and I've got links with Chris White, George Osborne, Gove and Bercow. I've spent a day with Nadeem (Stratford) and have got some things booked with Chris, write to MPs, you might get somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Try to get some experience or something, luckily my form tutor was Sajid David's advisor, and I've got links with Chris White, George Osborne, Gove and Bercow. I've spent a day with Nadeem (Stratford) and have got some things booked with Chris, write to MPs, you might get somewhere.
    I've got some good ideas which you could sent to George Osborne. Tell me what you think. Note this is me being ultra Tory. I seem to have bumped my head real hard and now I am thinking correctly. I can't quite make sense of how rational I am now.

Hard Working Peoples Allowance

If you work more than 80 hours a week you get a tax cut of 5%.

Working Peoples day

Of course working people get the day off.

All benefit claimants will receive a letter in the post with a unique number which is a online voucher code which needs to be redeemed in 3 work activities otherwise the benefit claimant will have their benefits sanctioned for up to a month. The benefit claimants will only have 3 days to get all these work activities done.

These work activities will be as followed:

1. All benefit claimants must meet at a specific gathering location before 8am and be in clean clothing, smell decent and be sober. A job center adviser will inspect every benefit claimant and make sure they are in decent order and those who meet all the requirements will have their voucher codes redeemed for activity 1.

2. All benefit claimants will march to their nearest high street while carrying cleaning equipment and once they reach the location they all sing the national anthem. They will then salute all the working people around them in all directions. Then they will begin to clean the streets, local businesses windows and ask people if they would like their car washed. This will begin from 9am to 12pm and after everything is done the job center staff will redeem the benefit claimants voucher codes for activity 2.

3. All benefit claimants will then have to go home and do a personal service for a working person who does more than 30 hours work a week. The working person will redeem the benefit claimants voucher code by use of the internet. The claimants voucher codes for activity 3 can only be redeemed this way.

Abolish Personal Independence Payment and create more Healthcare Jobs

Instead of the claimant getting the money the council will get it instead. The council will then be able to employ more social workers who can drive disabled people to locations they want to go to and help them in their homes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Seems legit

This is awesome, hahahahahaha.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    I've got some good ideas which you could sent to George Osborne. Tell me what you think. Note this is me being ultra Tory. I seem to have bumped my head real hard and now I am thinking correctly. I can't quite make sense of how rational I am now.

Hard Working Peoples Allowance

If you work more than 80 hours a week you get a tax cut of 5%.

Working Peoples day

Of course working people get the day off.

All benefit claimants will receive a letter in the post with a unique number which is a online voucher code which needs to be redeemed in 3 work activities otherwise the benefit claimant will have their benefits sanctioned for up to a month. The benefit claimants will only have 3 days to get all these work activities done.

These work activities will be as followed:

1. All benefit claimants must meet at a specific gathering location before 8am and be in clean clothing, smell decent and be sober. A job center adviser will inspect every benefit claimant and make sure they are in decent order and those who meet all the requirements will have their voucher codes redeemed for activity 1.

2. All benefit claimants will march to their nearest high street while carrying cleaning equipment and once they reach the location they all sing the national anthem. They will then salute all the working people around them in all directions. Then they will begin to clean the streets, local businesses windows and ask people if they would like their car washed. This will begin from 9am to 12pm and after everything is done the job center staff will redeem the benefit claimants voucher codes for activity 2.

3. All benefit claimants will then have to go home and do a personal service for a working person who does more than 30 hours work a week. The working person will redeem the benefit claimants voucher code by use of the internet. The claimants voucher codes for activity 3 can only be redeemed this way.

Abolish Personal Independence Payment and create more Healthcare Jobs

Instead of the claimant getting the money the council will get it instead. The council will then be able to employ more social workers who can drive disabled people to locations they want to go to and help them in their homes.
    The tax cut I agree with, however it would be hard to enforce with the self imployed. The idea about benefit reform is not good I'm afraid, that is exactly what the Tories are hated for, and would be electoral suicide.

ReputationRep:
    I personally find it highly suspicious tht so soon after joining the Conservative Party you already have someone desperately trying to groom you into going career as it where...

Just strikes me as supremely desperate, the kind of desperate that should be avoided.

ReputationRep:
    My husband and I are involved in local politics. I would go to Uni and remain involved with your local. Work for a handful of years following school (I don't even think 10-15 years is necessary, 3-5 years) to give you some real world experience. By your late 20's, I'd say you're ready for politics.

I think it's sad that people don't want to see any younger politicians around. Younger politicians could better help represent younger segments of the population. We want engaged youth, some younger politicians is a start.

ReputationRep:
    Really bad timing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    I personally find it highly suspicious tht so soon after joining the Conservative Party you already have someone desperately trying to groom you into going career as it where...

Just strikes me as supremely desperate, the kind of desperate that should be avoided.
    I've always supported the conservatives and have been close to several members with considerable links within our area. But yes they do seem desperate, local politics is pretty much dominated by old white men and because they get so few students joining locally each year (which is shocking considering I live in a very Conservative area - one of the safest seats in the country) - they're trying to 'latch' onto me.

I'm probably just going to stay out of it. Better things to be doing, but I can still canvass whenever needed...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I've always supported the conservatives and have been close to several members with considerable links within our area. But yes they do seem desperate, local politics is pretty much dominated by old white men and because they get so few students joining locally each year (which is shocking considering I live in a very Conservative area - one of the safest seats in the country) - they're trying to 'latch' onto me.

I'm probably just going to stay out of it. Better things to be doing, but I can still canvass whenever needed...
    The fact that Tory associations are dominated by old white men is exactly why you should peruse integration if you want a political career, both for your own good and the good of the party. Politics is one of the few careers in which you can exercise real power and so i would strongly suggest that if you want a political career then drive forward.

Being a PCC in a safe Labour seat is actually highly realistic and fairly easy to do (though you'll get minimum campaign resources and have to spend your time helping in other marginals). Basically they have you stand in a seat you can't win simply to evaluate how appealing your political views and mannerisms are to the electorate and also whether you can hold your own against an existing MP. If you do better than the national swing then you get planted in a winnable seat.

That being said, it would be preferable if you had some experience outside politics in a real job (and investment banking ect.. is not a real world job for most people).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canucked)
    My husband and I are involved in local politics. I would go to Uni and remain involved with your local. Work for a handful of years following school (I don't even think 10-15 years is necessary, 3-5 years) to give you some real world experience. By your late 20's, I'd say you're ready for politics.

I think it's sad that people don't want to see any younger politicians around. Younger politicians could better help represent younger segments of the population. We want engaged youth, some younger politicians is a start.
    Personally i tend to dislike young MP's and career politicians on the basis that they have no real experience outside the bubble (though OP has a fantastic opportunity here so from a self interest point of view, he'd be stupid not to do it). With that being said though i think that once your past 25 and have had a real job it is reasonable to move through the corridors of power.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Get a job first.
    Basically.

"What a career politican"

Is what people will say if you don't have a different career first ^.^

ReputationRep:

Maybe just wait a bit, don't rule it out, just not yet, make sure they want you for more than just your age.

That also gives you time to think about it and make sure you aren't getting into something that a year or 2 down the line you are going to regret.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a career in tory politics, then i'd recommend suicide and as a first stepping stone. kill yourself, then i'll give you the next steps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.