The Student Room Group

Guy getting the wrong end of the stick

Guy getting the wrong end of the stick

Okay I know the title sounds odd, but it'll help if you read below

So I’ve known this guy for a while. We are good friends andget on rather well. He’s told me before that he likes me as more than a friend,and frequently brings up the topic of me never dating in my life. He seems to like making fun of it, and saying how he doesn’t understand why I haven’t had a bf.

Honestly, I think he’s a decent guy. But he sometimes gets this ‘everyone is against me and judges me’ attitude. (Which really frustrates me). And the fact is, no-one is! There’s not a person I know who shows any behaviour like that towards him.

Every so often, he says ‘you won’t date me because you think I’m ugly and overweight’.

And this is completely not true. I find it almost offensive that he thinks I’m that shallow. I really want to tell him that it is nothing to do with his appearance why I don’t want to date him. He’s a good looking guy and his weight doesn’t bother me in the slightest.But the real reason I wouldn’t date him is because of his personality.

You’re probably confused as to why I have a problem with his personality when he’s a good friend... Well, I just don’t think he’s the sort of guy I’d want to date. Theseare the parts of his personality that put me off him:
He’s controlling
He’s attention seeking
He’s compulsive
He’s manipulative
He gets jealous all the time (even if I just talk to any other guy!) And he always brings it back on me

BUT, I still see him as a friend as he’s a good laugh, fun and nice to talk to (when he’s not being like the above).I just don’t know how to approach it when he uses the ‘why won’t you date me then if it's not about how ugly I am?’ question.

I can hardly say his personality traits that put me off him as he’d lose it, but if I say ‘I see you as more of a friend than anything else’, he gets REALLY offended and starts ranting about all the ‘friendzone’ stuff.

I just don’t know how to kind of ‘calm him down’ about it all. He just gets really touchy about it all and I try to move the convo on so it doesn’t ruin our friendship. But I'm getting fed up of him being like this now. It's been going on for over a year

Thanks for reading (I know it's quite the paragraph) x
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EmEternal2
Guy getting the wrong end of the stickOkay I know the title sounds odd, but it'll help if you read belowSo I’ve known this guy for a while. We are good friends andget on rather well. He’s told me before that he likes me as more than a friend,and frequently brings up the topic of me never dating in my life. He seems to like making fun of it, and saying how he doesn’t understand why I haven’t had a bf.Honestly, I think he’s a decent guy. But he sometimes gets this ‘everyone is against me and judges me’ attitude. (Which really frustrates me). And the fact is, no-one is! There’s not a person I know who shows any behaviour like that towards him.Every so often, he says ‘you won’t date me because you think I’m ugly and overweight’. And this is completely not true. I find it almost offensive that he thinks I’m that shallow. I really want to tell him that it is nothing to do with his appearance why I don’t want to date him. He’s a good looking guy and his weight doesn’t bother me in the slightest.But the real reason I wouldn’t date him is because of his personality. You’re probably confused as to why I have a problem with his personality when he’s a good friend... Well, I just don’t think he’s the sort of guy I’d want to date. Theseare the parts of his personality that put me off him:h:e’s controllingHe’s attention seekingHe’s compulsiveHe’s manipulativeHe gets jealous all the time (even if I just talk to any other guy!) And he always brings it back on meBUT, I still see him as a friend as he’s a good laugh, fun and nice to talk to (when he’s not being like the above).I just don’t know how to approach it when he uses the ‘why won’t you date me then if it's not about how ugly I am?’ question.I can hardly say his personality traits that put me off him as he’d lose it,but if I say ‘I see you as more of a friend than anything else’, he gets REALLY offended and starts ranting about all the ‘friendzone’ stuff.I just don’t know how to kind of ‘calm him down’ about it all. He just gets really touchy about it all and I try to move the convo on so it doesn’t ruin our friendship. But I'm getting fed up of him being like this now. It's been going on for over a yearThanks for reading (I know it's quite the paragraph) x

He just sounds clingy by nature. Maybe it would be worth explaining to him how he can improve himself for success with other people in the future, but right now his personaility is holding him back and his rants about the friendzone are off putting, and if he reacts badly just say 'that's what I mean'. You say that he's a good friend but it doesn't sound like it's worth having him around. He wants more and doesn't want to get over you. You're dealing with stuff that you shouldn't have to put up with.
@EmEternal2 Loved it when you said his weight didn't bother you one bit....
Reply 3
@cbreef

Honestly it doesn't. This is because he says he's 'overweight' and brings himself down a lot. And I don't see anything wrong with the way he looks or how he is physically.
I don't think he is half as bad as he makes himself out to be.

So no, his weight doesn't bother me. It clearly bothers him more

So I'm sorry if that offends you in some way :smile:
Original post by EmEternal2
@cbreef

Honestly it doesn't. This is because he says he's 'overweight' and brings himself down a lot. And I don't see anything wrong with the way he looks or how he is physically.
I don't think he is half as bad as he makes himself out to be.

So no, his weight doesn't bother me. It clearly bothers him more

So I'm sorry if that offends you in some way :smile:

It appears you're getting the wrong end of the stick here too :wink:. I just liked the way you put it. The way you admitted he was clearly overweight

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending