Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Indians, Pakistanis and Bengalis - would you marry one another? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am a Pakistani but want to marry arabs .
    Sorry Pakistani/Indian/Bengali girls
    Good luck pal. Arabs have a superiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajneetk)
    How did they do the nikkah? Didn't the imam know?
    They did it like everyone else, yes the Imam prob didn't know.

ReputationRep:
    Haraam, the Nikkah is not valid.
    I know, doesn't seem to bother them though.

ReputationRep:
    I have always wondered why Pakistanis have become obsessed with Arabs...

... is it since Zia Ul Haq became head of state? Or is Arab culture quite popular in Pakistan? I know a lot go to UAE etc.

Just wondering what you like about Arabs in particular
    Lol I assumed it was just physical attraction first and foremost. They are the lighter skin and sometimes lighter eyes option who are still muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NextGenLeader)
    I'm Bengali and I only see myself marrying someone who isn't Bengali. You get good and bad people of every culture and I've just come across too many bad Bengalis that I don't I ever see myself getting with a bengi. On the other hand I absolutely want to marry a Pakistani because they just have something most Asians lack, I just can't put my finger on it. I hope my parents would be more understanding though 😠, nevertheless their not going to stop me 😋.

^ I do see why a lot of people like Arabs esp Arab women, they have beautiful and different kind of eyes, their skin is like a good fake tan but it's not fake and its all year round, and they usually have really lovely strong voices. And despite Arabia being portrayed as a anti-feminist (or whatever the word) Arabic women who I've come across tend to be very confident & independent & career minded which I find very attractive 🙃

"On the other hand I absolutely want to marry a Pakistani because they just have something most Asians lack, I just can't put my finger on it"

Now I'm really curious. Never heard of this before.

If it helps, my Bengali male friend recently married a Pakistani girl and my Indian/Burmese female friend married a Bengali guy. Both are very happy and no one fussed about it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enaayrah)
    Haha, my parents are the least chill you can ever get :lol:

I just generally get the feeling that there'll be a point where they'll let me marry whoever I want because they'll cba with trying to arrange a marriage for me (too many matchings to make). Obviously that person will have to have some cultural similarities and be of the same religion :dontknow:

At least with one excuse, they'll become more accepting
    Aw shoot. Well good luck to you then. You know your parents well enough to figure out how it would work out in the long run. I think you'll be okay. Smart desi parents realize they really don't have true control over their children in the west, so they've gotta be willing to compromise somewhat without making it into a nightmare or else they'll lose their kids

ReputationRep:
    Well my mum is Bengali and my dad is Pakistani so tbh I don't think they'd care who I marry as long as he's smart and asian paha.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Indian and I will marry anyone I want, whether he's Pakistani, black, white. My parents would care if I married outside my race, but idgaf what they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NextGenLeader)
    Maybe it's just something I can't have that makes me want it more aha
    As in my parents aren't going to exactly arrange/find a Pakistani bride for me 😔
    interesting. I don't think I personally know a single young Bengali who married another Bengali. Always assumed y'all tend to be more open about ethnicity. Then again, I'm from the US. UK may be diff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoDoneWithSchool)
    Ayyyy fellow south indian.
    hey, you mallu as well? What part of Kerala you from? I am from Kottayam but i live in London now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Sikh Male and my parent's aren't bothered about who I marry but under no circumstances can it be a Muslim, and to be fair I'm fine with that because not a chance would I convert to Islam.
    Pretty much this.

So no, I wouldn't marry another.

ReputationRep:
    Well my fam are originally from India, then migrated to Pakistan and i have family members who are both so lol
    I dont think either would be an issue but language barrier with a bengali person but thats not a huge issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajneetk)
    I'm Indian and I cannot see myself marrying a Bengali or Pakistani. My parents wouldn't ever allow it and religion would be a problem.
    same here, do your parents have a problem you marrying a white or black person aswell ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Sikh Male and my parent's aren't bothered about who I marry but under no circumstances can it be a Muslim, and to be fair I'm fine with that because not a chance would I convert to Islam.
    Same here, parents like no muslim girls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burnt0range)
    interesting. I don't think I personally know a single young Bengali who married another Bengali. Always assumed y'all tend to be more open about ethnicity. Then again, I'm from the US. UK may be diff?
    It's cuz the imaginary hierarchy goes:
    Indian
    Pakistani
    Bengali

Therefore Bengalis, supposedly being in the bottom, are less likely to be against those who usually look down at them.

At least thats what I think. I base it on how the same happens with castes, there's more resistance to children of "higher" castes to marry outside of the caste than those from lower castes.

(that hierarchy is based on who hates on who and who has inferiority complexes lol)

I'm Pakistani and I think as long as they're muslim it's fine. Would prefer an Indian Muslim, simply because of the language difference with Bengalis etc. Although it would be so awkward when watching cricket?! Especially the heated IND vs PAK games :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyWhoPhysics)
    same here, do your parents have a problem you marrying a white or black person aswell ?
    Nope just a Muslim...

ReputationRep:
    My family wouldn't really mind who i marry as long as they have an awsum personality. Plus I dont really mind either not like we choose who we wanted 2b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pringles 4 days)
    re: weddings, is it an indian thing to want a massive wedding? like, how tf do you even know 100 family members close enough to invite to your wedding lmao? :/

what do you mean by building a family? i know that if her parents took issue with anything she wouldn't let her parents control her, so they would have to accept it whether they liked it or not.
    in an indian wedding its not uncommon to have 700 guests. but normally its less then this. wedding is a social occassion, so youll invite all the people you know in you community (plus their family)
    there is a fear that a highly islamic family becomes too meddling in the upbringing of the child - they would demand its brought up islamically for example. often things change after marriage - you dont know how people will act till it happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilezzz)
    hey, you mallu as well? What part of Kerala you from? I am from Kottayam but i live in London now.

Omg yeah! Mallu. erm I'm near thiruvalla! which part of London?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.