Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do any atheists/agnostics agree with Dawkins on this? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

Not much to add. The question is essentially this:

Do you think there's a sense in which the death of British Christianity is lamentable? or is the UK clearly better off without?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I agree with him. christianity today isn't even really christianity, seeing as it's not really based on the bible any more...islam on the other hand is, making it more dangerous

ReputationRep:
    I agree with him too, christianity today is so watered down that it's almost a different religion to what it started as. No one really takes the bible that seriously. Islam on the other hand is taken way too seriously in general, even relatively moderate followers tend to hold some extreme views from the Quran. I don't like either religion, but I have an added genuine concern about what Islam is capable of causing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    I agree with him too, christianity today is so watered down that it's almost a different religion to what it started as. No one really takes the bible that seriously. Islam on the other hand is taken way too seriously in general, even relatively moderate followers tend to hold some extreme views from the Quran. I don't like either religion, but I have an added genuine concern about what Islam is capable of causing.
    Conservative evangelical Christian churches do not condone violence. They do not offer a "watered down" Christianity either.

ReputationRep:
    I dont agree with him at all. What we need to combat this 'greater threat' is secularism, not more religion.

ReputationRep:
    Um, it sounds as if he is trying to make Christianity sound better than islam. In my opinion, both religions have so many flaws so neither is better than each other.

So no, I don't agree.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with him and the notion that English Christianity is largely toothless and quaint. I don't wholly agree with the death of British Christianity being lamentable, however, as it cannot die fast enough in N.Ireland.

There may not be Christian extremists, but there is certainly plenty of extremely retarded Christians. Last time I checked, 60% of Americans believe that the Noah's Ark story is literally true. How is this something to be lamented?

ReputationRep:
    Playing religions off against each other only leads to more bloodshed and violence as history aptly demonstrates. The decline of Christianity is a good sign though, because pretty much the same will happen to Islam sooner or later.

ReputationRep:
    I'm kinda torn. Many Christians in Britain are the sort that practice it quietly and keep their faith to themselves. However, they're also likely to raise their children religious, which I don't agree with. Have your beliefs but don't force them on others. And as someone else said, N. Ireland is still highly religious to the point that it's infringing on people's rights e.g. women's reproductive rights.

ReputationRep:
    A decline in Christianity does not have any links with a rise in Islam. So I fail to see the relevance of his comments.

ReputationRep:
    Modern day Christianity is more watered down these days, for want of a better term. People seem to pick and choose what parts of the bible they want to follow, which is laughable.

Let's not forget that Christianity has caused it's fair share of problems sense it's birth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkIceCream)

Do you think there's a sense in which the death of British Christianity is lamentable? or is the UK clearly better off without?
    The UK is better off without it

ReputationRep:
    Christianity is plenty violent. Perhaps not in Europe any more, but remember when George Bush said he invaded Iraq because god told him to do so? Or the violence against abortion clinics in the Southern US?

Its just that most of Christianity is more affluent, which tends to mean less political instability. Plus our tendency to not count guided missiles as 'violent' in the same way we view mass shooters to be so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lustawny)
    There may not be Christian extremists, but there is certainly plenty of extremely retarded Christians. Last time I checked, 60% of Americans believe that the Noah's Ark story is literally true. How is this something to be lamented?
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Um, it sounds as if he is trying to make Christianity sound better than islam. In my opinion, both religions have so many flaws so neither is better than each other.

So no, I don't agree.
    Scenario 1.
    Christian: I'm a Christian. I believe that it rained so hard that a bearded man built a boat big enough to carry two of every species. Be afraid!
    layman: help me I'm being assaulted with mythology!

Scenario 2.
    Muslim: I'm a Muslim. I believe that you are an apostate for not following the word of the great snackbar in the sky. I will be rewarded with 72 virgins if I kill you brutally. ALLAHU ACKBAR!!
    apostate:

Yes, they're both as bad as each other. Dawkins is wrong and racist!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of stuff happening now in the west goes against Christian values. The CoE is tearing itself apart over gay marriage and accepting gays.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm.... It's only a bulwark when practiced in a modern, secular nation with heaps of laws to stop its citizens (at least most of the time) from doing the same thing they could otherwise execute in, say, a non-secular country.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  67.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no.

There are clearly extremist Christians who do murder in the name of God etc and have appalling views. But for the most part, Christians are docile with their opinion compared to Muslims and political Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkIceCream)

Tbh I think that it isn't really lamentable. It was seen as a very important part of our lives up until the 1950s or so. I don't think that it leads people as much as it did. People don't need to be God fearing to have the right morals and so on, yet things like the Ten Commandments did help in creating an obedient and morally conscientious population. On the other hand I don't really think that Britain is completely better off without it. It has so little of an impact today that whether it is there or not won't really make a difference!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.