Pagru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Felicitations,
Friend of mine's really struggling to find a research subject for his PhD, there are so many resources aimed at writing a good proposal for your subject, can anyone suggest one for choosing a good subject?
Many thanks
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Has he spoken to some potential supervisors? That's the normal route.

What subject?
Pagru
Rep:
?
(Original post by Octohedral)

What subject?
Can't seem to get hold of them at the moment -_-
Really hoping we can get some progress over the weekend so trying here.
He's looking for something in the pharmacological area, ideally clinical studies around diabetes treatment... I can't even begin to describe how far outside my experience it is lol
username2228735
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Octohedral)

What subject?
How would you approach them with this? Curious as I'll be making the decision of whether to do a PhD in less than a year!
username2228735
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pagru)
Felicitations,
Friend of mine's really struggling to find a research subject for his PhD, there are so many resources aimed at writing a good proposal for your subject, can anyone suggest one for choosing a good subject?
Many thanks
Something my academic referee and mentor suggested was doing a lot of reading in an area of interest and then finding gaps in the literature. It's worked well for me but I'm not at PhD level yet.
Pagru
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aceadria)
How would you approach them with this? Curious as I'll be making the decision of whether to do a PhD in less than a year!
Decision's looming for me too, part of the reason i'm helping out... That and pizza
Pagru
Rep:
?
Something my academic referee and mentor suggested was doing a lot of reading in an area of interest and then finding gaps in the literature. It's worked well for me but I'm not at PhD level yet.
Cheers, he's either working that angle as we speak or has fallen asleep in a corner
username2228735
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pagru)
Decision's looming for me too, part of the reason i'm helping out... That and pizza
Haha! Pizza's always very good motivation.
Octohedral
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pagru)
Can't seem to get hold of them at the moment -_-
Really hoping we can get some progress over the weekend so trying here.
He's looking for something in the pharmacological area, ideally clinical studies around diabetes treatment... I can't even begin to describe how far outside my experience it is lol
I can't really speak for pharmacology, but in maths it's really hard to come up with a specific topic prior to applying, even if you do speak to a supervisor. Most universities don't expect it (but they might for pharmacology). Good luck with the supervisors - getting in touch with them is a massive help.

I can only speak for my subject (maths), but what I did was find their contact details on the university website, then send them a polite, formal e-mail, with a (very brief) introduction to who you are, and asking if they are interested in taking on PhD students, or if anyone in their department is.

Generally they are very helpful. I contacted three - two agreed to meet me, and one said I could meet them at the standard open day.

In maths you aren't really expected to know your PhD subject before applying, just the general area.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your first step should be to look for projects on somewhere like findaphd.com. Science projects are typically already funded and set up with PIs looking for students to take on. Then contact potential supervisors. Alternatively look for people who do work you're interested in and see if they can take you on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads