Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B922 - State Calendar Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Aph has presented this as a Private Members Bill. So I respond as an individual MP.

If an accountant claims to be busy because it is the end of the financial year, or rail companies mention autumn, my retort sometimes is that it's not new, we've had the Gregorian Calendar since 1752. I'd like to be able to continue to respond in the same way.

So a Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Nay But its nice to read something a little light hearted once in a while
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    What do the roamans have to do with it? The Gregorian calendar was made by the pope.
    the months August and July. August after Augustus and July after Julius
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Okay, so are you telling me that you, a UKIP MP prefer illegal European immigrants who didn't even speak our language to the traditional languages of this (once) great nation?! :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Ha...ha....ha....ha? Okay, I see you've more effort this time. Why do I always think your bills are always serious? If it wasn't for the notes. Anyway, better than your previous joke bill.

Oh yeah, nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    It's a Private Member Bill AND it's a Joke bill....
    I know...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    April fools are supposed to be done on April first, not whenever you feel like it...

Other than that, why are you adding an extra day to a leap year (leap years should have 366 days not 367) and why abolish the weekend?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    April fools are supposed to be done on April first, not whenever you feel like it...

Other than that, why are you adding an extra day to a leap year (leap years should have 366 days not 367) and why abolish the weekend?
    Didn't want to wait and parliament will be closed April 1st for the GE.

WEEKENDS ARENT ABOLISHED??? And normal leap years would be every 8 years with 'special leap years' every 200.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Didn't want to wait and parliament will be closed April 1st for the GE.

WEEKENDS ARENT ABOLISHED??? And normal leap years would be every 8 years with 'special leap years' every 200.
    You've defined a weekend as a day that rarely happens. That works, but like the rest of this is needlessly complicated and unnecessary, not to mention painfully unfunny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    You've defined a weekend as a day that rarely happens. That works, but like the rest of this is needlessly complicated and unnecessary, not to mention painfully unfunny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A week end is 2 days? One of which rarely happens...

This year under Gregorian 105/366 days are actually weekends or to put it another way 28.7% of the time is a weekend.

Under this bill we would have on average 85/365 days as weekends or 23.3% of the time it would be a weekend, raising to 23.7% weekends on leap years.

So there is only an 18.9% reduction in weekend time.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Okay, so are you telling me that you, a UKIP MP prefer illegal European immigrants who didn't even speak our language to the traditional languages of this (once) great nation?! :teehee:
    Well, if we ever wanted a TSR Plaid Cymru we have our first member here...

ReputationRep:
    It is time for meaningful change in our country. Aye!

ReputationRep:
    Nay.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I couldn't be bothered to learn new names.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    A week end is 2 days? One of which rarely happens...

This year under Gregorian 105/366 days are actually weekends
    Under this bill we would have on average 85/365 days as weekends
    The equivalent of scrapping ten weekends a year. Still, if you'd like to work for 10 weeks straight (as in through the weekends as well), be my guest. I'll be here with my work/life balance.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Well, if we ever wanted a TSR Plaid Cymru we have our first member here...
    Hear Hear :facepalm:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    For anyone interested this would result in more school holidays net as the 190 days of school would be equal to 47.5 weeks meaning that we would see 22.5 weeks off school a year which is ~118 days of school holidays compared to the current 84 days off we currently see. (Not including weekends in either of these)

However due to less weekends we would see more working hours and better productivity.

Also please remember that getting new people acquainted to the system would be great fun.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    All the months have names of Roman/Etruscan origin
    Janus (Roman God of gates and doorways)
    Februus (Etruscan God of death)
    Mars (who doesn't know this one?)
    Slightly more complicated, CBA explaining
    Maia Maiestas (Roman Goddess of spring and warmth)
    Juno (wife of Jupiter)
    Julius Caesar
    Augustus
    Then September-December, naturally, derive from septem, octo, novem and decem, to mean 7th-10th month.

All our month names are carried over from the Julian calendar although with the names being modernised since 45BC, some very significantly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.