Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B922 - State Calendar Bill 2016 Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    JD, we're only supposed to agree when at least one of us are drunk.... What's happening?:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aph? And why do you assume that I am not drunk?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Aph? And why do you assume that I am not drunk?
    Oh yeah, I forgot how experienced you are at drunk typing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    And only to you, and it doesn't make any more sense than the current system, if anything it makes less.
    The current system:

It's a leap year every 4 years, unless it's also a year divisible by 100 in which case it actually isn't a leap year, unless it's also divisible 400 in which case the second rule doesn't apply.

That confuses people.

My system:

It's a leap year every 8 years, unless the year is divisible by 200 in which case it isn't quite a leap year, also if it is divisible by 400 it is a normal year.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The current system:

It's a leap year every 4 years, unless it's also a year divisible by 100 in which case it actually isn't a leap year, unless it's also divisible 400 in which case the second rule doesn't apply.

That confuses people.

My system:

It's a leap year every 8 years, unless the year is divisible by 200 in which case it isn't quite a leap year, also if it is divisible by 400 it is a normal year.
    Which will confuse people just as much given there is seemingly arbitrary exceptions, but with losses of accuracy
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Which will confuse people just as much given there is seemingly arbitrary exceptions, but with losses of accuracy
    They aren't arbitrary, and there isn't a loss of accuracy. We covered this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The current system:

That confuses people.

My system:

The current system is simpler.

Do you actually advocate this or is it a joke?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    They aren't arbitrary, and there isn't a loss of accuracy. We covered this.
    Except there is a greater inaccuracy, and saying they are arbitrary and that people might see them as arbitrary is not the same, but let's consider the inaccuracy, and for the sake of simplicity ignore the 3 days every 4 centuries bit

Currently

0 mod 4: 0 error
    1 mod 4: -0.25 days
    2 mod 4: -0.5 days
    3 mod 4: -0.75 days

mean error: 0.375 days

Your system

0 mod 8: 0 error
    1 mod 8 -0.25 days
    2 mod 8 -0.5 days
    3 mod 8 -0.75 days
    4 mod 8 -1 days
    5 mod 8 -1.25 days
    6 mod 8 -1.5 days
    7 mod 8 -1.75 days

mean error: 0.875 days
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    The current system is simpler.

Do you actually advocate this or is it a joke?
    IT is a joke, but I do think my leap year system is easier to understand.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The calendar we have at the moment is perfectly fine - there is no need to change it and replace it with some random one that no one understands. If you insist on changing something, stop the clocks from changing - keep them fixed on British Summertime.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    The calendar we have at the moment is perfectly fine - there is no need to change it and replace it with some random one that no one understands. If you insist on changing something, stop the clocks from changing - keep them fixed on British Summertime.
    Which was trailed in the past and decided to be a bad idea.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Which was trailed in the past and decided to be a bad idea.
    Why was it a bad idea? Also, do you truly support this move for a different calendar?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Why was it a bad idea? Also, do you truly support this move for a different calendar?
    Because it makes the roads more dangerous when you factor in the estimated effect of the introduction of drink driving legislation at the same time as the trial, and of course I don't, why do you think I've been saying it's an absurd idea?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Because it makes the roads more dangerous when you factor in the estimated effect of the introduction of drink driving legislation at the same time as the trial, and of course I don't, why do you think I've been saying it's an absurd idea?
    Hang On. With British Summertime, it would be lighter so the risk of road accidents decreases.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hang On. With British Summertime, it would be lighter so the risk of road accidents decreases.
    It makes it lighter in the evening, darker in the morning, morning casualties increase whilst evening casualties decrease, including the effect of drink driving legislation fatalities and serious injuries on the roads decreased by about 2500 over the first two winters of the experiment, however this is with a daily average of 2500 a day. As said, it also coincided with drink driving legislation that brings the estimated decrease due to British Standard Time down significantly.

ReputationRep:
    It makes it lighter in the evening, darker in the morning, morning casualties increase whilst evening casualties decrease, including the effect of drink driving legislation fatalities and serious injuries on the roads decreased by about 2500 over the first two winters of the experiment, however this is with a daily average of 2500 a day. As said, it also coincided with drink driving legislation that brings the estimated decrease due to British Standard Time down significantly.
    So you're saying there's no proven link between having BST all year round and road casualties in the evening. Great. That doesn't explain why BST all year round is a bad idea.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    So you're saying there's no proven link between having BST all year round and road casualties in the evening. Great. That doesn't explain why BST all year round is a bad idea.
    If estimating the effect of other variables to compensate for them makes the conclusions invalid I would suggest you should stop accepting a hell of a lot of conclusions you take for granted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If estimating the effect of other variables to compensate for them makes the conclusions invalid I would suggest you should stop accepting a hell of a lot of conclusions you take for granted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The conclusion reached by those estimations is that (mathematically) it wouldn't really make any difference to the number of fatalities while driving in the long run. That doesn't say it's a bad idea, it just blows the "oooh there'll be less deaths" rubbish out the water.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The conclusion reached by those estimations is that (mathematically) it wouldn't really make any difference to the number of fatalities while driving in the long run. That doesn't say it's a bad idea, it just blows the "oooh there'll be less deaths" rubbish out the water.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So why bother, if it ain't broke and all that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    So why bother, if it ain't broke and all that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because it makes it brighter in the evening, allowing children to play with their friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Because it makes it brighter in the evening, allowing children to play with their friends

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It also makes it darker in the morning, and I thought I was the one that lived in the past...

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.