The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by INF10
You cant be serious UCL Physics department is quite poor compared to its other departments and they always give out AAB offers, Imperial is light years ahead of UCL for physics.

Hun my Nat sci is A*AA, certainly not AAB lmfao

Imperial giving out camb offers... Lol I would not waste A*A*A to go to imperial for phys if I could go Oxbridge. Exactly the reason why I didn't apply there, not worth the effort
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
I said 'after Oxbridge'. Meaning except for Oxbridge, Imperial is the best place for the Sciences.

If I am disagreeing with you, I certainly am calling your opinion 'wrong'.

Oh no the other people said that not you

Well no every opinion can't be right or wrong. As I said, I don't mind if you disagree or not
Original post by Capricancer
How is St Andrews' academics the same as Lancaster?

That seems slightly slanderous for you to say without any concrete evidence to be honest. "than even the average home students" - what do you mean by that? It's tougher for home students to get into than internationals because home students are funded by the Govt. and Highers and SATs/APs are not directly comparable as well.

I guess this is a matter of anecdotes but of the students I've spoken to, St Andrews is held pretty highly in regard (obviously not as high as Oxbridge/HYP etc.). But the US students I've spoken to chose St Andrews over US universities like Georgetown, Michigan, Tufts, Vanderbilt, Boston, Emory, Williams and Wellesley and UK universities like Edinburgh, Glasgow, KCL, Bristol and Manchester.

They're not the same, but they are comparable in terms of 'quality of teaching' and research output, which is what I was referring to by academics. Reputation-wise, St Andrew's is much more famous than Lancaster, as it's the 3rd oldest university in the English-speaking world, Prince William/Kate Middleton (is that still her surname?) went there, and it has a lot of international students/alumni who in turn generate more international fame for it when they return to their home countries. Its reputation is primarily why St Andrew's is held in high regard and is compared to places like Edinburgh when it isn't as good, academically speaking.

US students who intend to return to the US and work there will generally pick a famous university that everyone there has heard of so that their degree can contend with the top local universities when job-hunting. After all, if I were to apply for a job in Glasgow with a degree from Princeton vs Strathclyde, the famous foreign one of Princeton would probably make a bigger impact. Or the other way around, applying with a degree from the famous Edinburgh or a degree from the relatively-unknown-outside-of-continental-Europe Karolinska Institute, I can probably say that the degree from Edinburgh would make a bigger impact on my employer. And in case it gets mentioned, who cares if St Andrews' student numbers are smaller, that doesn't mean the facilities are going to be any worse so there shouldn't be any extra credit given for the size.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by High Stakes
1) Cambridge/Oxford
2) Imperial
3) LSE
4) Warwick/UCL
5) Durham/Bristol

In terms of Warwick v. UCL? If you asked me 2 years ago, I would have said UCL. But now, Warwick edges over UCL just so slightly. But I predict Warwick will further surpass UCL in the coming years.

We can't be friends anymore I'm a lone STEM master race wolf now
Original post by INF10
X

Original post by RonnieRJ
X

Original post by welcometoib
X

X

Personally guys, I think this discussion isn't really productive. It's a waste of time. The reality is, if you get into Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Imperial, LSE or Warwick you will be attending a top institution. Sure one may shine over the other in a particular field such as Science (Imperial & Oxbridge) or Economics (Warwick & LSE), but you're essentially going to be receiving a quality education at a respected university recognised by employers. When you're dealing with the top 5, there isn't really much of an advantage in terms of employability with one over the other. It's down to you to do what you can to make yourself a more competitive candidate. Arguing over the order in the top 5 is pointless because students of these institutions will be competing on equal ground for top positions.
We can't be friends anymore I'm a lone STEM master race wolf now

Awh, don't say that. :hugs:
Original post by yl95
Admittedly the only experience I have is finding internships at banks but why do you think that Oxbridge gives such an advantage? On the international scene I have no doubt that it has but domestically, I don't really see.

I can't comment domestically as I was an international student but you don't need to look further than the target universities of major employers to look at the domestic advantage. I'm not sure why you'd limit it to purely in the UK though - with an Oxbridge degree you get much better chance at an international job and that is what will change the course of your career totally.

Why do I think Oxbridge give such an advantage? They are brand names that will literally turn people's heads.
Personally guys, I think this discussion isn't really productive. It's a waste of time. The reality is, if you get into Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Imperial, LSE or Warwick you will be attending a top institution. Sure one may shine over the other in a particular field such as Science (Imperial & Oxbridge) or Economics (Warwick & LSE), but you're essentially going to be receiving a quality education at a respected university recognised by employers. When you're dealing with the top 5, there isn't really much of an advantage in terms of employability with one over the other. It's down to you to do what you can to make yourself a more competitive candidate. Arguing over the order in the top 5 is pointless because students of these institutions will be competing on equal ground for top positions.

Awh, don't say that. :hugs:

How could you say that :frown:
How could you say that :frown:

UCL is a top, world recognised uni with a large alumni of nobel prize winners. I wasn't undermining the quality of any one university. Don't get upset. :console:

At the end of the day, all we're doing here is throwing in our opinions and anecdotes.
Sure one may shine over the other in a particular field such as Science (Imperial & Oxbridge) or Economics (Warwick & LSE).

Economics at Cambridge ****s on Warwick.
UCL is a top, world recognised uni with a large alumni of nobel prize winners. I wasn't undermining the quality of any one university. Don't get upset. :console:

At the end of the day, all we're doing here is throwing in our opinions and anecdotes.

Ok good I was about to stab you :angry: haha
We may be friends again
Oxford/Cambridge
LSE
UCL
Imperial
Warwick/Durham

Just my opinion. Weird how emotionally invested people become in these threads, these rankings are just a bit of fun and ultimately mean nothing.
Reply 210
This is all subjective.
Original post by 4 pringles days
Economics at Cambridge ****s on Warwick.

Right, but you lack any empirical evidence to back that up. Warwick has been a powerhouse for Economics recently and many people would say that it is on par with Cambridge.

And even if Cambridge "chits" on Warwick. Going to either Cam or Warwick would literally make no difference in terms of employment. If you're smart enough to further the field of Economics you'll flourish at either Cambridge or Warwick. Going to one over the other is not going to decide whether you're the next Hayek or Keynes lol.
Right, but you lack any empirical evidence to back that up. Warwick has been a powerhouse for Economics recently and many people would say that it is on par with Cambridge.

And even if Cambridge "chits" on Warwick. Going to either Cam or Warwick would literally make no difference in terms of employment. If you're smart enough to further the field of Economics you'll flourish at either Cambridge or Warwick. Going to one over the other is not going to decide whether you're the next Hayek or Keynes lol.

Nonsense, all else being equal, it makes a significant difference.
Ok good I was about to stab you :angry: haha
We may be friends again

:rofl: Good.

Altho you live quite close to me. I'll have to sleep with one eye open tonight. :aetsch::blushing:
Warwick has been a powerhouse for Economics recently and many people would say that it is on par with Cambridge.

Doesn't make it true.

Going to either Cam or Warwick would literally make no difference in terms of employment.

Going to have to disagree strongly there. I'm at Cambridge and the targeted/exclusive events we have, with the number of contacts etc, is simply unmatched anywhere outside of Oxbridge.
Original post by athrowaway
Nonsense, all else being equal, it makes a significant difference.

Show me statistics. I'm getting bored here with everyone throwing in their opinions lol.

"Nonsense, my opinion is correct bla bla bla..."

"You're wrong! X is better than Y."

"Haha don't make me laugh, bla bla bla"
Original post by Little Toy Gun
I can't comment domestically as I was an international student but you don't need to look further than the target universities of major employers to look at the domestic advantage. I'm not sure why you'd limit it to purely in the UK though - with an Oxbridge degree you get much better chance at an international job and that is what will change the course of your career totally.

Why do I think Oxbridge give such an advantage? They are brand names that will literally turn people's heads.

Target universities of major employers are either generally a) the RG or b) Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, LSE, UCL...so no, I don't see the advantage domestically.
I mean, 'much better' in comparison to what? Employers aren't just going to dismiss universities that they might not have heard from; surely they would have looked at rankings and noticed the British ones that pop up quite often in the Top 10/20? The university name won't get you past an interview.
Original post by 4 pringles days

Going to have to disagree strongly there. I'm at Cambridge and the targeted/exclusive events we have, with the number of contacts etc, is simply unmatched anywhere outside of Oxbridge.

Right, and you've been to Warwick and LSE in order to compare your targeted/exclusive events, or is this...Wait...What's it called again? Oh right, an opinion!

Come up with evidence. Or we can simply agree to disagree.
Show me statistics.

Last time I checked unistats showed the average salary of Econ grad at Cambridge was £40k, Warwick £31k.

That's just one example. But Econ at Cambridge would still **** on Econ at Warwick even if those figures were reversed (notwithstanding the fact there would have to be a reason for such a disparity).
No.

Say this in real life, and you'll get laughed out the room. Cardiff doesn't even come within 460,000 lightyears of LSE, let alone Oxbridge.

the snobbery on here is actually for real...

im not sure your getting my point, what im saying is there is no right or wrong here, it always differs and depends on what you yourself base this on.

one thing i can say is I would much rather be at cardiff studying medicine with some amazing professors and a very modern course than at oxbridge boring my eyes out with science for 3 years and not actually getting any clinical skills till year 4! each to there own!

Latest

Trending

Trending