Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

These are the Top 5 Universities in the UK! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    It is wasting lmao...
    Consciously setting for something worse lol. Not even second best, Oxford is second best if anything...
    Goodness me, it's not worth taking a gap year. Waste of time and money. For straight Physics courses, it is and also, obviously you can choose only one out of Ox and Cam.
    You'll find very smart people at Imperial as well so you sound more of a snob than anything else.
    So say you were going to apply for jobs. Would you keep applying to Goldman until you get it because you don't want to settle for Citibank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pringles 4 days)

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
    Haha, I feel quite bad now seeing you resort to snarky comments like this.

Don't worry, keep perpetrating this idea that Cambridge chits on Warwick...Even though statistics show that it doesn't. You'll do great.

ReputationRep:
    I see them as all the same, especially UCL and LSE. Imperial is befter for medicine though, but for science id say it's the same level as UCL.

Well have to agree to disagree
    Imperial > UCL for any science/stem. LSE > UCL for any social science/law/history/every other LSE degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    You'll do great.
    I don't mean to be pedantic, but I already am doing rather great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    Imperial > UCL for any science/stem. LSE > UCL for any social science/law/history/every other LSE degree.
    but the person you tagged wants to do a course Imperial don't offer.

(Original post by yl95)
    Goodness me, it's not worth taking a gap year. Waste of time and money. For straight Physics courses, it is and also, obviously you can choose only one out of Ox and Cam.
    You'll find very smart people at Imperial as well so you sound more of a snob than anything else.
    How am I a snob for preferring to aim high rather than settling for something "almost" as good lol... Waste of time and money? You can take up a relevant job and earn money and gain experience during that year
    You're entitled to your opinion Hun but I don't agree

ReputationRep:
    It is wasting lmao...
    Consciously setting for something worse lol. Not even second best, Oxford is second best if anything...
    Couldn't you just go UCL and then if you get an offer from Cam, drop out from UCL and then go Cam the next year. Or do universities not poach students ceteris paribus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pringles 4 days)
    but the person you tagged wants to do a course Imperial don't offer.
    Maybe he should have chosed a better subject then l0l

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people still think UCL is a top 5 Uni. Jesus wept.

ReputationRep:
    she*

and i dont think its a case of the subject not being as good, natsci is something not all unis do, for example

(Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    Couldn't you just go UCL and then if you get an offer from Cam, drop out from UCL and then go Cam the next year. Or do universities not poach students ceteris paribus.
    I think Oxford allows this, I don't think Cambridge does
    Plus takes a year out of SF
    SHE

Natsci is a combination of all sciences

"Jack of all trades, master of none, but better than a master of one"

Bye

ReputationRep:
    If you get rejected by LSE, ICL, KCL, and LM, then you go to UCL...

(LM = London Met)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreihander)
    Actually, they mean quite a lot for your employment prospects.
    The rankings themselves don't.

ReputationRep:
    How am I a snob for preferring to aim high rather than settling for something "almost" as good lol... Waste of time and money? You can take up a relevant job and earn money and gain experience during that year

You're entitled to your opinion Hun but I don't agree
    Second or third, you're still probably going to get a good job at the end. There's honestly not a big difference at all. Maybe it's because you haven't been to uni yet. I'd say maybe if it were a toss up between Bristol and Cambridge, I would understand.
    Maybe not a snob but 'settling for worse' isn't the best way of wording it. No one's stopping you from getting a Masters at Oxbridge.
    Also, Imperial > UCL for STEM, apart from Medicine and maybe Biology where they're pretty much even. UCL isn't even in COWI, Physics and Chemistry are better at Imperial (rankings would tell you that) and Engineering is clearly not UCL's strength.

ReputationRep:
    I think Oxford allows this, I don't think Cambridge does
    Plus takes a year out of SF

SHE

Natsci is a combination of all sciences

"Jack of all trades, master of none, but better than a master of one"

Bye
    Sorry I didn't want to identify your gender in case you happened not to identify as the gender you were assigned with at birth.

ReputationRep:
    I just received a "Posting Tip" I think for my comment above? WTF?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smileatyourself)
    Don't forget most, if not all, league tables are compiled by a large number of Oxbridge grads, so no doubt there's some bias.

Just look at how much Oxbridg are mentioned in Telegraph articles.

Imperial will never be top, after all, how many Imperial grads willend up working in the media?
    Uh, Imperial is a STEM university so how many people do you think will end up in the media...most go into finance/consulting/teaching/research/engineering related jobs.

(Original post by yl95)
    Second or third, you're still probably going to get a good job at the end. There's honestly not a big difference at all. Maybe it's because you haven't been to uni yet. I'd say maybe if it were a toss up between Bristol and Cambridge, I would understand.
    Maybe not a snob but 'settling for worse' isn't the best way of wording it. No one's stopping you from getting a Masters at Oxbridge.
    Also, Imperial > UCL for STEM, apart from Medicine and maybe Biology where they're pretty much even. UCL isn't even in COWI and Engineering is clearly not UCL's strength.
    Doesn't matter. Clearly Cambridge IS the best of all UK unis. I'd rather go for something I'm capable of rather than just settle for something else because it's easy and almost as good. I was unsuccessful this year for a number of reasons I believe, but I am of Cambridge standard yet my application didn't show it. Therefore I should hopefully reapply next year given I get very good A2s, and if not I do like UCL just as much, but it is of lower caliber and so I'd be going there only if I get lower grades. Wouldn't waste 3A*s on it even though it's top 5. It's just not Cambridge.

I'm not sure about the Engineering department, but Imperials weakness is not teaching polymaths
    Sorry I didn't want to identify your gender in case you happened not to identify as the gender you were assigned with at birth.
    Sorry tumblr child

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter. Clearly Cambridge IS the best of all UK unis. I'd rather go for something I'm capable of rather than just settle for something else because it's easy and almost as good. I was unsuccessful this year for a number of reasons I believe, but I am of Cambridge standard yet my application didn't show it. Therefore I should hopefully reapply next year given I get very good A2s, and if not I do like UCL just as much, but it is of lower caliber and so I'd be going there only if I get lower grades. Wouldn't waste 3A*s on it even though it's top 5. It's just not Cambridge.

I'm not sure about the Engineering department, but Imperials weakness is not teaching polymaths

Sorry tumblr child
    You now sound arrogant - 'I am of Cambridge standard'. Perhaps be a little more modest...
    Yes, Cambridge is the best but you are stupid to think an Imperial course is easy, haha.
    Imperial is best known for its Engineering Department, lmao...I don't think you did enough research on them.

ReputationRep:
    How is it a joke... University of London includes all three of them
    Imperial is actually not part of the UoL; they quit it several years ago.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.