Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

These are the Top 5 Universities in the UK! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beerus)
    Yeah, while warwick is prestigious and a strong brand in the uk, it falls way behind the G5 in the global ranks. It is way below Edinburgh King's too. And Manchester. This is a bit weird even if these rankings are not 100% perfect, shouldn't it be top 20ish instead of like 60th? (80ish in rep and 50ish in prospects) And better let's not start talking about Durham, Bath and St. Andrews.
    It should be pointed out that this confusion about Warwick's prestige stems from the fact that it varies between different courses. For example, it is undoubtedly in the top 5 for Maths - an argument could even be made for it being no.3, but that's debatable - but then for most subjects it's not particularly prestigious, like you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    It should be pointed out that this confusion about Warwick's prestige stems from the fact that it varies between different courses. For example, it is undoubtedly in the top 5 for Maths - an argument could even be made for it being no.3, but that's debatable - but then for most subjects it's not particularly prestigious, like you said.
    According to some rankings(guardian) and people, it is also considered very good for biosciences/life sciences ( even when it has not presence on international rankings and others say this is its weakest field) also it is top 5 in business, finance etc. If we compare it with Edinburgh/King's within the Uk it is considered more prestigious if i am not mistaken and almost on par with UCL. But it is not that well known outside the UK. Not to the extent Edinburgh/King's are. Or even Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with your list tbf. Durham/Bristol/Warwick are all a small step down from UCL/Imperial
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Wow, I hate it when people state rubbish like this. By your logic, let's all go to London Met to do our chosen subjects, so that we'll all get firsts and we'll be no different to people who got firsts from Oxbridge in the eyes of employers!

Of course, it doesn't matter if you do badly at school and get only the minimal grades required for the worst universities, because 'a degree is a degree', wherever it is. So let's all put no effort in our entire school lives either.
    Oxbridge awards many more firsts (approx 30%) than London Met (approx 12%).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oddwatermelon)
    This obsession with university brands is incredibly unhealthy. The talents of the individual are far more important. Measuring the value of a university based on "average Joe on the streets knowledge and international brand awareness" is completely illogical. Two of my siblings have studied law at Durham and UCL. Employers could not give a toss about UCL's 'international reputation' - it's an entirely unimportant metric, and quite frankly, it barely exists. Both got onto strong graduate schemes at good firms. their friend from York similarly got onto a strong graduate scheme in London. He now works in Singapore, despite York not being 'internationally renowned'. It's also important to note that when you apply to jobs, you will probably apply to British companies, and then international opportunities come once you are an employee. You don't just hop on a plane to Hong Kong and apply there. You're all going to spend so long concerning yourselves over which university to attend for 'prestige' rather than developing yourself as individuals and in the process making yourself more employable.
    Also, ask yourself this - if a company did exist where they value you on your university education, rather than your relevant skills and personality, would you really want to work there? Sounds to me like an awful environment.
    your first line contradicts the entirety of your post.

you know people who went to good unis that usually supply graduates to good jobs? amazing example of how unimportant brand equity is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What is Nottingham's national/international reputation like?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielCollins31)
    It has enough of one for the question to be mostly irrelevant. You'll have a blast there and will have plenty of opportunities to get in touch with top employers, to go on a year abroad, to help out with research etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It has enough of one for the question to be mostly irrelevant. You'll have a blast there and will have plenty of opportunities to get in touch with top employers, to go on a year abroad, to help out with research etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Top 15 UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    your first line contradicts the entirety of your post.

you know people who went to good unis that usually supply graduates to good jobs? amazing example of how unimportant brand equity is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had skim read the post and had seen multiple people say Durham lacked an international presence and this was a significant weakness. I was making the point that this is not the case. I have also not seen anyone mention York as being a top university which can get you into 'top' jobs. To me, it seems everyone is saying Oxbridge/London unis or bust, which is nonsense.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Top 15 UK?
    You can look at any/all of the various rankings to see

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think OP's top 5 ranking does have a point, and I would like to further quantify the difference in 'prestige levels' between the top 5 too. I also included 3 more unis which I think are just slightly behind no.5 as well.

Here's my list:

=1) Cambridge, Oxford

(Big gap)

=3) Imperial, LSE

(Medium gap)

5) UCL

(Small gap)

=6) Warwick, Durham, St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmaugTheTerrible)
    I disagree. UCL is a pretty beast of a University and has much higher international rep. For one thing, it's ranked in the top 10 of the World across several league tables, let alone the UK.

The 'London' name carries a lot of weight as well, and UCL is far more well known in Asia than Durham or Warwick. It has far more funding, research and historically has been the hub of scientific innovation.

Warwick and Durham are far more highly regarded nationally, within the UK, than they are outside of it. UCL on the other hand, does have an international brand name.

Fundamentally what we perceive as 'prestige' comes down to two factors. How well known something is, and how well regarded it is.

UCL is very well known and very well regarded, by a lot of people.

Durham, for example, is very well regarded, but not as well known internationally.
    UCL is not well known internationally. Or, not more well known than Warwick. Anyone outside of the UK who has heard of UCL must have heard of Warwick as well. And, in the business world, I would reckon Warwick has more clout than UCL does because of Warwick Business School, which is considered a prestigious business school. I wouldn't say Imperial is as well known as LSE, in the global scene either. And, Cambridge is not as well known as Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking about having international prestige, I think Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol and Newcastle can make a good claim to be just as prestigious as UCL, too. But here's my ranking:

Oxford
    - slight gap -

Cambridge

- slight gap -
    LSE

- slight gap -
    Imperial

- slight gap -
    UCL, Warwick, Edinburgh, Manchester

- slight gap -
    Bristol, Nottingham, Newcastle, Kings, Bath, Durham, St Andrews, York, Lancaster

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge

'small gap'

Kent
    Hull

'massive gap'

Loughborough
    Oxford

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.