Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

These are the Top 5 Universities in the UK! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug)
    As it stands, UCL does have more of an international brand than Durham for example, simply because the 'London' in it's name allows it to be more well-known.

UCL has also got significantly more funding and top quality research than Edinburgh and the likes
    UCL arguably has less international brand name than Edinburgh in the eyes of the general public. Much like LSE/Imperial, the people who know it will realise it is good, but you would be surprised how few people have even heard of these universities once you leave the UK. And the difference in research/funding between UCL/Edinburgh isn't as big as you are implying.

General international reputation (among academics/employers):
    http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2015.html
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ge/0/length/50
    http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...5-graphic.html

Research output/funding:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-research.html
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...over-14-01.pdf

The point isn't to deny that UCL is slightly better, its that there really isn't enough a gap to warrant talking about a "top 5". The gap from Oxbridge down to LSE/UCL/Imperial is much bigger than the gap from those 3 to Kings/Bristol/Edinburgh, in terms of general prestige/reputation.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmaugTheTerrible)
    because they're deluded and the Warwick defenders on TSR have succeeded in their propaganda.

Warwick is good, but don't make me laugh by saying it has any significant international brand image. Very very few people know what Warwick is outside of the UK.
    Yeah, the ~30% internationals at Warwick all had no idea how good the uni was.

The people who got into top tier US MBAs/PhDs/MScs all suck - right?

The droves of Asian students doing Maths there (and in the uni in general) all had no idea about the university before they applied?

Don't slate the international brand of Warwick when most people outside of the UK associate UCL with UCLA. Anyone in the know will have a strong idea of both universities equally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where does St Andrews rank in general lol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yeah, the ~30% internationals at Warwick all had no idea how good the uni was.

The people who got into top tier US MBAs/PhDs/MScs all suck - right?

The droves of Asian students doing Maths there (and in the uni in general) all had no idea about the university before they applied?

Don't slate the international brand of Warwick when most people outside of the UK associate UCL with UCLA. Anyone in the know will have a strong idea of both universities equally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It might seem quite harsh but, UCL being in London and having 'London' in it's name, does actually carry some weight in of its self (as a bonus to its already great reputation).

(Original post by muchensmile)
    Top 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Warwick gives offers almost to everyone. Oxford doesn't. Not even close in fact.

You're forgetting that Oxford has the interview process. Nonetheless, I would be very surprised if someone picked Warwick over Oxford for maths.

If you say so :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by yl95)
    No interviews for Warwick, though. And pretty sure it's 1 in any STEP paper...
    Also, Warwick hands out offers like candy.
    (Original post by imsoanonymous123)
    You can't just look at what the offer is. MAT and STEP 1 aren't actually that far apart in difficulty (imo) and you get to sit step 1 later in the year and in oxford you have to pass the interview stage which is tougher than getting a 1 in step 1. STEP 1 isnt really as hard as most people make it out to be

also keep in mind a lot of the students at warwick did not end up even meeting that offer. And standard maths offer for oxford is A*A*A not A*AA
    Once again, the point of this top 5 list isn't to focus on small differences between one University being more reputable for a particular subject than another.

If you take everything as a whole, Durham isn't a Top 5. Warwick isn't a top 5. UCL, Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge and LSE are.

I agree with everything you all said.

I may have misconstrued it wrong.

Yes warwick does indeed give out offers like drugs.

I kind of meant on the basis that perhaps oxford should look at step instead of mat.

And also hands down Oxford maths> Warwick maths.

Only a retard or somewhone who had went to warwick instead would say other wise ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muchensmile)
    Very high for undergraduate within the UK, but not much research output (its small) and not that well known internationally (again partly due to its size).

Pretty much the same as Durham (and maybe Bath).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    UCL arguably has less international brand name than Edinburgh in the eyes of the general public. Much like LSE/Imperial, the people who know it will realise it is good, but you would be surprised how few people have even heard of these universities once you leave the UK. And the difference in research/funding between UCL/Edinburgh isn't as big as you are implying.

General international reputation (among academics/employers):
    http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2015.html
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ge/0/length/50
    http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...5-graphic.html

Research output/funding:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-research.html
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...over-14-01.pdf

The point isn't to deny that UCL is slightly better, its that there really isn't enough a gap to warrant talking about a "top 5". The gap from Oxbridge down to LSE/UCL/Imperial is much bigger than the gap from those 3 to Kings/Bristol/Edinburgh, in terms of general prestige/reputation.
    Agreed. But we differ on the size of the gap. I think it's big enough to warrant UCL being placed in the top 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    sharing is caring ...
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematicus65)
    1. Oxford
    2. Imperial College
    3. Cambridge
    4. UCL
    5. Bristol / LSE

Swap Cambridge and Oxford, get rid of Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

]
    The key difference between Warwick and Oxford/Cambridge/UCL/Imperial is that Warwick's reputation is almost entirely centered on its math/econ departmentst, and business school. Warwick has done really well in carving out a niche and trying to maximize its reputation across a small number of subjects, but you can't really compare it to, Oxbridge/London, which have very good reputations across a wide range of subjects.

Warwick is probably slightly behind Edinburgh/Bristol/Kings/Manchester when you look across the whole range of university subjects, rather than just math/econ. Look at the above tables I posted. Noone denies that its excellent in those two subjects, but a university isn't just a math department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Will this circle-jerk of listing top unis end...

Each person has a different set of requirements and should measure unis based on their own variables. I get people want to go to the best uni possible, I do too, but we could spend a little less time obsessing and a bit more time working?

Oxford could be the best for one student, but Bath could be the best for another.

Also league tables are pointless, they change frequently and their methodologies are varied. As long as a uni is valued by employers and good for that subject in its own right, it's a decent uni to go to.
    Does it even matter what university you go to. I mean if you get a first in a uni ranked 8th or a third in a uni ranked 2nd. Just seems like normal school rankings. The harder you work, the more successful you will be.

Or is there a major advantage of going to a uni ranked 8 places more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    Warwick?
    Top 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Does it even matter what university you go to. I mean if you get a first in a uni ranked 8th or a third in a uni ranked 2nd. Just seems like normal school rankings. The harder you work, the more successful you will be.

I'd say it depends on what job you're aiming for. For something like medicine for example, a degree from Cambridge won't be looked at more favourably then a degree from Dundee, however for things like consultancy/ib/top law firms, it's very difficult to get in without a Oxbridge/lse/icl/ucl, and maybe even Warwick/Durham degree.

Also, Durham seen as a better uni than Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruby420)
    Cambridge
    Oxford
    LSE
    Imperial
    Warwick
    UCL.
    This except UCL before Warwick.

ReputationRep:

I guess it sort of does, if you get a 2:1 at an average uni I doubt you'll get the graduate job you'd want as there will be many others going to better unis and getting 2:1s.

There is some advantage but obviously that advantage won't be there if you do sh*t. So yeah if you work hard at a decent uni you'll do okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    This except UCL before Warwick.
    In terms of IB or general? Because recently I've heard Warwick is slaying in FO.

ReputationRep:

In Law, Banking and Finance yes.

Also, small differences like 8 places aren't going to mean much. Larger differences like 20 places, certainly are.

Most importantly we have to realise that the reason a University ranked 7th is better than a University ranked 17th is because generally, to get into the former you're going to require better grades. So in that sense, going to the former is simply a shorthand for a student having been very academically successful throughout school. If a student went to the 17th ranked Uni with the same grades as required as by the one ranked 7th, job prospects are likely to be similar. But usually the one ranked 17th will require AAB and the one ranked 7th will require A*AA.

That's were the difference comes into play.

ReputationRep:
    Target Uni for McDonald's
    Target Uni for Wimpy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vish97)
    I'd say it depends on what job you're aiming for. For something like medicine for example, a degree from Cambridge won't be looked at more favourably then a degree from Dundee, however for things like consultancy/ib/top law firms, it's very difficult to get in without a Oxbridge/lse/icl/ucl, and maybe even Warwick/Durham degree.

Also, Durham seen as a better uni than Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would agree with what you're saying about IB, law and medicine - but not consultancy.

Providing you go to a decent uni, doing a decent degree and you get a 2:1 or a first - you would have the same chance as any one else.

And consultancy is so widespread, it's not just the big firms offering graduate schemes. In some cases you don't even need to go to uni to do consultancy, even with a top firm - they offer very attractive apprenticeships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruby420)
    In terms of IB or general? Because recently I've heard Warwick is slaying in FO.
    In IB, based on numbers they get in UCL and Warwick are equal, but UCL def has more of an international rep than Warwick.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.