CWTS:
    1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. UCL
    4. Imperial
    5. Exeter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Handeco)
    Yeah I agree, I am just saying that choosing one university over the other from that group of top unis wont have any significant impact on your career.
    Choosing Oxbridge over other universities will likely have a significant impact on your career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poohat)
    Economics is honorary STEM, the undergraduate degrees are harder and more mathematical than most "S" subjects except physics.
    Westminster is still better.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ies-world-2016

99th most international uni is Westminster beating Cardiff, Newcastle and others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vish97)
    I definitely agree with your first point. However, medicine is one of those subjects where getting into UEA would be pretty much as tough as getting into a RG, and an Oxford med grad wouldn't necessarily be smarter than a UEA med grad...but I can see where you're coming from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True.

I think it's a case of which would provide the better learning and social environment and frankly if it was a choice between say Cambridge and Keele, it's a no brainer.

The medical school you attend makes little if any difference to job prospects but there's certainly more to be gained from say studying at Cambridge i.e. the social and cultural opportunities and networking available. The latter is important if say for some reason one decides they want to go into a field other than Medicine, a university with higher profile helps.

Sure a medical degree is a medical degree but some universities offer a better experience than others.

I mean let's be honest Oxford or Hull? London or Plymouth? Cambridge or Keele?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Choosing Oxbridge over other universities will likely have a significant impact on your career.
    Not significant and depends on where you go, to be honest...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capricancer)
    St Andrews is often compared to Durham and Warwick for its size but it's a lot smaller than them with about only 8,000 full-time students. Durham and Warwick are about 2x larger.

But despite that, I'd say it's more well-known outside of the UK than Bath for sure, and perhaps Durham as well. If you look at the college matriculation lists for the most elite US prep schools (e.g. Phillips Exeter, Choate Rosemary Hall, Phillips Andover, Milton Academy, Hotchkiss etc.) then St Andrews is usually one of only a few non-US universities to appear. Admittedly, this might be because of the royal alumni.

Top 4 for sure would be Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE though (debatable who 5th would be)
    It's because St As and these schools have a special relationship. People with much lower stats than even the average home students get admitted into St As.

None of it is to do with St As being held in higher regard - I've heard of it (I have a lot of friends at the above schools) being used as a 'last resort/safety' option for people who don't get into top US/UK unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    I agree but only on your top 4. To me UCL is another standard good uni that I would place with Warwick and Durham. But it's not as special as the other four for your factors. So let's call it the big 4.
    Name:  image.png
Views: 245
Size:  130.9 KB

Lol this sounds to me like the Doxbridge/Woxbridge bo*locks
    UCL 7th in the world according to QS world rankings
    Warrick 48th
    Durham 61st

Byeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)

Warrick 48th
    Durham 61st

Byeeee
    But I don't place Durham or Warwick with the other 4 so that negates your doxbridge/woxbridge comment. According to that UCL>Yale?!

I think the whole point is that this isn't about league tables it's about the reputation and prestige and in my opinion UCL doesn't cut it amongst Oxbridge and imperial/LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizmoo0721)
    Edinburgh is the highest funded university in the UK...
    Not true at all. That would be Oxbridge. Their wealth is immense. The amount of money they get from donations and the government is unrivalled in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Not significant and depends on where you go, to be honest...
    You haven't even graduated. What do you know about job hunting?

(Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    But I don't place Durham or Warwick with the other 4 so that negates your doxbridge/woxbridge comment. According to that UCL>Yale?!

I think the whole point is that this isn't about league tables it's about the reputation and prestige and in my opinion UCL doesn't cut it amongst Oxbridge and imperial/LSE.
    Do you even have a clue about the connections UCL has worldwide... Lol have a read first

You can't compare UCL to Warick because you wouldn't get the same opportunities in Warrick as you would with UCL. I think you're either misinformed or under informed about the unis lol

And well maybe UCL>Yale, just because you know about Yale doesn't mean it's better for factors such as international opportunities, graduate jobs, student satisfaction, facilities, standard and etc.

I'm sure those official rankings, 5 or 6 as previously quoted by someone, which have UCL right after Oxbridge, have a lot more information available to them to judge it than you

ReputationRep:

Warrick 48th
    Durham 61st

Byeeee
    International rankings should be taken with a pinch of salt. According to domestic rankings (CUG Guardian and Sunday times) Durham and Warwick are ranked higher than UCL, which should surely suggest they are better in the uk according to rankings.

I think that apart from Oxford and Cambridge it probably wont make a difference in your life if you go to LSE/Imperial/Warwick/UCL/Durham etc

ReputationRep:
    1. Oxford/Cambridge
    2. Imperial
    3. UCL
    4. LSE

ReputationRep:
    You haven't even graduated. What do you know about job hunting?
    Admittedly the only experience I have is finding internships at banks but why do you think that Oxbridge gives such an advantage? On the international scene I have no doubt that it has but domestically, I don't really see.

(Original post by INF10)
    International rankings should be taken with a pinch of salt. According to domestic rankings (CUG Guardian and Sunday times) Durham and Warwick are ranked higher than UCL, which should surely suggest they are better in the uk according to rankings.

I think that apart from Oxford and Cambridge it probably wont make a difference in your life if you go to LSE/Imperial/Warwick/UCL/Durham etc
    Surely international reputation is more valuable that just UK reputation

ReputationRep:
    QS:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. UCL
    4. Imperial
    5. King's

Times:
    1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. Imperial
    4. UCL
    5. LSE

ARWU:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. UCL
    4. Imperial
    5. Manchester

REF:
    1. Oxford
    2. UCL
    3. Cambridge
    4. Edinburgh
    5. Manchester

CWUR:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. UCL
    4. Imperial
    5. Edinburgh

Guardian:
    1. Cambridge
    2. Oxford
    3. St Andrews
    4. Surrey
    5. Bath

CWTS:
    1. Oxford
    2. Cambridge
    3. UCL
    4. Imperial
    5. Exeter
    The fact that Manchester, Surrey, Bath and Exeter make it anywhere near the top 5 should indicate to you the meaningfulness of league tables, if taken on their own.

None of these Universities are even UK Top 10s, let alone top 5s. (Except bath maybe, and that's a big maybe)

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge
    Oxford
    Imperial
    LSE
    Warwick/Durham/UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INF10)
    CambridgeOxfordImperialLSEWarwic k/Durham/UCL
    It's about considering all of the factors. That's why I listed so many in the original post.

Some Universities like Warwick excel in certain areas, but on the whole, they aren't consistent. UCL is a multi-faculty beast, and good for pretty much every subject under the sun. The same simply doesn't apply to Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    My point is that University league tables are pointless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.