Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 doing my A levels (Art, Psychology, Biology) and have been thinking about what I would like to study at uni. I was looking at joint art and psychology degrees and also just art courses. I'm not sure what I want to do in the future but thought an art foundation diploma would give me time to think and also a good idea about whether I would like to continue with an art degree at university. Can anyone who has done the art foundation give me some advice about what it's like and if they think it will just be a waste of time? Should I just go straight into a Fine Art BA? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsbecca)
    I am currently in year 12 doing my A levels (Art, Psychology, Biology) and have been thinking about what I would like to study at uni. I was looking at joint art and psychology degrees and also just art courses. I'm not sure what I want to do in the future but thought an art foundation diploma would give me time to think and also a good idea about whether I would like to continue with an art degree at university. Can anyone who has done the art foundation give me some advice about what it's like and if they think it will just be a waste of time? Should I just go straight into a Fine Art BA? Thanks
    A foundation is a requirement for the majority of the better art schools, in practice if not explicitly stated, and you will not be competing on a level playing field with other applicants if you don't have one. Its purpose is to enable you to produce a professional portfolio targeted at a specific branch of art, and allows you to have access to the kind of equipment virtually no school can provide. In addition, it is free for the under 19s, so it is a no risk way of finding out if you do really have what it takes to study art at degree level, and most people say it's one of the most fun times of their life.

ReputationRep:
    Omg yes it's worth it!

I found that the way they 'teach' art A level just barely touches the surface of what doing something artistic is really like.
    You get a lot of bad habits, your teachers teach you their bad habits and their way of doing things which isn't always the best way to do it!

In a foundation diploma, you get shown so much more than just fine art, you learn that there is more to being an artist than pretty pictures on walls, you might even find you prefer doing graphic design, photography, architecture, instead of just Fine art which is all you've ever known really.

even if you decide by the end of the year you dont even want to do something creative, it's better to waste this free year than to waste 3 years and £21k+ in student loans doing something you dont actually enjoy.

Sorry if you cant understand my grammar, hope i helped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.