Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protagoras)
    Yeh, my apologies, I'm correct the second time with the career development loan. The Government postgraduate loan would not cover a senior LL.B. You could always find out but I would assume it's a no to that.
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HandsomeBoh)
    Hi,

I've managed to secure a place for the History and Politics course at Jesus College in Oxford beginning October 2016. I really love the HistPol course, and I get that it is a very prestigious course on its own, but after getting involved in researching financial regulation and contract law, I've become incredibly passionate in it, and now I would really love to change course to study Law.

Has anybody pulled off anything like that before? I have straight As and a pretty formidable portfolio of internships, published papers and leadership experience; but I'm also considering pre-empting them and taking the LNAT before asking them if I can change. I hear that I should finish one term of HistPol before I transfer, and winning the support of my tutors, should I consider also asking them before the term starts? I'm also afraid that they might void my HistPol place if I ask for a transfer.
    It's possible, I'm a first year at Oxford and someone in the year above changed from History to Computer Science before arriving. The only issue is they usually make you re interview, but its much better to email before you arrive (I tried to change in freshers week and they wouldn't let me)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a Lower sixth student interested in HPol, but also ordinary history- I'm torn between the two as I really love IR and Middle Eastern politics but I also really like the more in depth approach afforded by a history course. Say I were to apply for history and then decide on HPol- how exactly would the decision be made whether I be allowed to switch? Ik it sounds really opportunistic but trust me I genuinely am torn, and could use some advice.

ReputationRep:
    I was in similar conflict before submitting an application, ultimately deciding that there is enough politics within the history degree that I could satiate my interest for politics while still focusing on the depth approach that you mention above. If you look at the papers offered throughout the course, you'll notice that a number of them have political components, so while you may miss the political theory aspect, I believe the history course offers avenues to engage with political practice (especially within the more modern history papers). Side note: they may not let you switch from history to H-P post-admission as H-P has a smaller intake and therefore could be seen as more competitive. There's no way to know without asking, but not a strategy I would take on entering the process

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.