Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

School problems during GCSE's Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's a long story but let me explain it

So I was studying at a school and I was in year 11, with my GCSE's in a few months however I got kicked out for 'substance misuse' which obviously I regret, however my headmaster was kind enough to let me transfer schools rather than expelling me, so it is not on my record, luckily.

So I transferred to a school however they said it was too late for me to join in year 11 and that I would need to go down to year 10, I'm not enjoying the school that much and it is really depressing and upsetting to think that I'm now 1 year behind and need to wait another year to do my GCSE's even though I was so close.

I had already done pretty much all my coursework for English, business, history etc in my old school and had done my mocks however now I'm moved down to year 10 I'm not sure if I will be required to do it again or if it will be sent over as I don't know if the same examination boards are used.

I was really just wanting to ask if there would be anyway for me to continue my GCSEs for this year as I really don't want to waste a year of my life especially at a school I don't particularly like and if I can't do all of my GCSEs if there is a way for me to at least do some this year.

If not will my coursework be transferred even if the exam boards are different or will I need to do it again to follow this schools boards?

Thanks
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You can't transfer anything if the exam board is different, you'd have to start from the beginning. There is one way i think. You can always contact the exam board you were with in your old school and privately apply for the exams you need, and ask your old school to give you your coursework so you can submit them yourself. this would cost money. since your new school does not do the same board as you did before, it's likely to say you're going to have to self-teach yourself for the rest of the 4 months you got left. Or get a private tutor. either way you're gonna have to spend money.
    For the remaining coursework, you'd have to do them at an exam centre so they know you're not doing it at home. But if all your coursework is done and is completed when you were in your other school and it's been signed by teachers to confirm you've done it in school, then those should be valid.

ReputationRep:
    I would say first and foremost find out what the new exam boards are, and if they aren't the same there's no way you will be able to learn the gcse syllabus that quickly, so it is more than likely that they are.

Otherwise, could you move to a school where they are the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeyad567)
    It's a long story but let me explain it

So I was studying at a school and I was in year 11, with my GCSE's in a few months however I got kicked out for 'substance misuse' which obviously I regret, however my headmaster was kind enough to let me transfer schools rather than expelling me, so it is not on my record, luckily.

So I transferred to a school however they said it was too late for me to join in year 11 and that I would need to go down to year 10, I'm not enjoying the school that much and it is really depressing and upsetting to think that I'm now 1 year behind and need to wait another year to do my GCSE's even though I was so close.

I had already done pretty much all my coursework for English, business, history etc in my old school and had done my mocks however now I'm moved down to year 10 I'm not sure if I will be required to do it again or if it will be sent over as I don't know if the same examination boards are used.

I was really just wanting to ask if there would be anyway for me to continue my GCSEs for this year as I really don't want to waste a year of my life especially at a school I don't particularly like and if I can't do all of my GCSEs if there is a way for me to at least do some this year.

If not will my coursework be transferred even if the exam boards are different or will I need to do it again to follow this schools boards?

Thanks
    You urgently need a meeting with the school to sort this out. For Maths and English you are now on the new GCSE syllabus which is totally different and will be graded 9 to 1 [not A* to G]. So try and see if you can sit those two this year examboards are not that different in Maths and no coursework but English will need checking.

If you could do a few more you could apply to college for September.

FInd out from the school which boards you were doing and which your current school does - you might be able to check today on the websites. Your old school should send coursework to your new school.

ReputationRep:
    The exam boards they do here are different for thins such as sciences however since I'm in year 10 i could technically just start over its just a bit depressing to think I need to do a year all over again as if a year of my life was wasted. I might ask my mom to ask the school again if I can go into year 11 and if not I'll ask if homeschooling could be considered for the remaining few months until my exams because I really don't want to be stuck in year 10 again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.