Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Geometric Sequences Question. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A sequence of numbers U1, U2, ... , Un, ... is given by the formula Un = 3((2/3^n)) -1 where n is a positive integer.

a) Find the values of of U1, U2 and U3.

b) Show that the sum to fifteen terms = -9.014 to 4 significant figures.

c) Prove that Un+1 = 2((2/3^n)) -1

This question is in the Edexcel AS and A Level Modular Mathematics C2 (pearson company).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    A sequence of numbers U1, U2, ... , Un, ... is given by the formula Un = 3((2/3^n)) -1 where n is a positive integer.

a) Find the values of of U1, U2 and U3.

b) Show that the sum to fifteen terms = -9.014 to 4 significant figures.

c) Prove that Un+1 = 2((2/3^n)) -1

This question is in the Edexcel AS and A Level Modular Mathematics C2 (pearson company).
    What have you tried so far? Which part did you get up to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    What have you tried so far? Which part did you get up to?
    done with a). i realised that 2/3 is the common ratio but i'm still having problems trying to prove the sum. have not gotten to c). yet
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    done with a). i realised that 2/3 is the common ratio but i'm still having problems trying to prove the sum. have not gotten to c). yet
    You're looking for the sum of the first 15 terms, so the sum of u1, u2 ...and u15).

So how would you write that as a summation, and go on to solve it?

Also, is it 3 * (\frac{2}{3})^n -1?

ReputationRep:
    You're looking for the sum of the first 15 terms, so the sum of u1, u2 ...and u15).

So how would you write that as a summation, and go on to solve it?

Also, is it 3 * (\frac{2}{3})^n -1?
    Yeah it is. i tried using a(r^n-1)/(r-1) but i cannot seem to get it. i substituted r for 2/3, and a=1. could it be a that I'm substituting in wrong
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is. i tried using a(r^n-1)/(r-1) but i cannot seem to get it. i substituted r for 2/3, and a=1. could it be a that I'm substituting in wrong
    As it is, it is not a geometric sequence. U1 = 1, U2 = -1/3, U3 = -7/9 etc. There's no common ratio there.

You're looking for the sum of the first 15 terms of . If you were
    to express that as a sum of n terms, what would that look like? (Not a trick question).

ReputationRep:
    ar^n-3 +ar^n-2 +ar^n-1?

ReputationRep:
    As it is, it is not a geometric sequence. U1 = 1, U2 = -1/3, U3 = -7/9 etc. There's no common ratio there.

You're looking for the sum of the first 15 terms of . If you were
    to express that as a sum of n terms, what would that look like? (Not a trick question).
    ar^n-3 +ar^n-2 +ar^n-1?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    ar^n-3 +ar^n-2 +ar^n-1?
    Not quite I may have been a bit confusing.

\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (3*(\frac{2}{3})^i - 1) was what I was looking for. Do you see what I meant?

If so, is there any way of splitting this up so that you have a geometric sequence + something else?

ReputationRep:
    Not quite I may have been a bit confusing.

\displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n (3*(\frac{2}{3})^n - 1) was what I was looking for. Do you see what I meant?

If so, is there any way of splitting this up so that you have a geometric sequence + something else?
    Gosh i am so confused sorry would it be 3*(2/3)^n+1 ;(
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Gosh i am so confused sorry would it be 3*(2/3)^n+1 ;(
    Sorry, I'm half asleep - I may have been confusing you.

That's the sum of the first 15 terms, which is what the question is asking for (but not something that you can solve just yet, but we'll get onto that once you understand this bit).

The i=1 means that the first i value you put in the thing next to the sum is i=1. Then you put in i=2 and add that to the output that you get from i=1, and then add that to what you get for putting i=3 in... all the way to n (which is what the bit on the top means).

So can you see that that's just finding u1, u2,... u15 and adding them all together?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I'm half asleep - I may have been confusing you.

That's the sum of the first 15 terms, which is what the question is asking for (but not something that you can solve just yet, but we'll get onto that once you understand this bit).

The i=1 means that the first i value you put in the thing next to the sum is i=1. Then you put in i=2 and add that to the output that you get from i=1, and then add that to what you get for putting i=3 in... all the way to n (which is what the bit on the top means).

So can you see that that's just finding u1, u2,... u15 and adding them all together?
    Yeah i get it, so u15 = u15+u14 +u13+ u12+....+u1.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i get it, so u15 = u15+u14 +u13+ u12+....+u1.
    Great

Can you see a way to split that into two seperate sums? (Hint: One is a geometric sum)

ReputationRep:
    Great

Can you see a way to split that into two seperate sums? (Hint: One is a geometric sum)
    sorry i just cannot figure this out. could it be a(1-r^n) and a(1-r^n)/1-r? where a=2 and r=2/3. i really do not know sorry
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    sorry i just cannot figure this out. could it be a(1-r^n) and a(1-r^n)/1-r? where a=2 and r=2/3. i really do not know sorry
    Those come in if you have a geometric sequence.

You said that you understand how we got to

Let me know if you want me to explain that again.

We can't apply the geometric formulae that you've mentioned because that is not a geometric sequence. There is no common ratio between u1 and u2.

But we can notice however that for each term, you are taking away 1. So if you are summing the 15 terms, then you have for each term, something and then -1. So that would give you (sum of somethings) -15 in total.

You can see that by splitting the sum up into two.

In other words,

is the same as
    \sum_{i=1}^{15} 3*(\frac{2}{3})^i + \sum_{i=1}^{15}{-1} , and the sum of 15 lots of -1 is -15, and the first term looks more familiar.

Let me know if any of that needs more explaining.

ReputationRep:
    Those come in if you have a geometric sequence.

You said that you understand how we got to

Let me know if you want me to explain that again.

We can't apply the geometric formulae that you've mentioned because that is not a geometric sequence. There is no common ratio between u1 and u2.

But we can notice however that for each term, you are taking away 1. So if you are summing the 15 terms, then you have for each term, something and then -1. So that would give you (sum of somethings) -15 in total.

You can see that by splitting the sum up into two.

In other words,

is the same as
    \sum_{i=1}^{15} 3*(\frac{2}{3})^i + \sum_{i=1}^{15}{-1} , and the sum of 15 lots of -1 is -15, and the first term looks more familiar.

Let me know if any of that needs more explaining.
    oh i think I'm understanding it. so we get the sum of the first fifteen terms then subtract -1 for each term, and because it is 15 terms its -15 because for Un we are subtracting 1 from each term, is that what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    oh i think I'm understanding it. so we get the sum of the first fifteen terms then subtract -1 for each term, and because it is 15 terms its -15 because for Un we are subtracting 1 from each term, is that what you mean.
    Pretty much! It's a more general rule of if you have

\sum (a+b) = \sum a + \sum b

By the way, I'll be moving this to the maths forum for you!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    That's one way of explaining it yes, but the important thing is to see that you can do it by splitting up the sum.

Eg the sum of ax^2 + bx + c is a* the sum of x^2 + b*sum of x + sum of c. (where the sum of n lots of c is nc).

So you've got the -15 out of the sum, how can you calculate the sum that's left over?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Pretty much! It's a more general rule of if you have

\sum (a+b) = \sum a + \sum b

By the way, I'll be moving this to the maths forum for you!
    oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    That's one way of explaining it yes, but the important thing is to see that you can do it by splitting up the sum.

Eg the sum of ax^2 + bx + c is a* the sum of x^2 + b*sum of x + sum of c. (where the sum of n lots of c is nc).

So you've got the -15 out of the sum, how can you calculate the sum that's left over?
    I got the answer using: 3*((2/3(2/3^15 - 1))/(2/3-1) though i do not understand why is it because U1 = 3*(2/3^1)?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.