Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety/depression at school Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How does your school deal with it? And do they understand the effects of it on school life etc? Have you ever been allowed to go home during a school day?

ReputationRep:
    I suffered with depression towards the end of my GCSEs and it's come with me into what's now my 3rd (and hopefully final) year of A Levels.

My first school was of no help. I tried to work from home, but teachers would forget to send me work. They isolated me for my exams against my explicit wishes (specifically: the moved me to the "sick bay", so I sat all my AS exams surrounded by people vomiting against the clock).

I moved to a city college after that, and it's been much better. They go out of their way to help. They ring me every last week of term to check I have support in place over the holidays, they have plenty of quiet and counselling rooms where you can sit and chill and get yourself together, or speak to someone. They offer to liaise with your doctors, psychiatrist, teachers, family, friends etc. on your behalf if you can't stomach it there and then. Honestly, I couldn't fault them at all in that way. The pastoral support is phenomenal, and the teachers all genuinely care about you. Just a shame the admin side don't give two hoots :P
    If it gets too much, my teachers have no issue with letting me take a break. Even though they're technically not allowed to, the pastoral team have offered to sign me off for periods at a time if I need some time to recuperate (I've fortunately not had to take them up on such offers YET). If I ask for work to do outside of class instead of coming in, it's done.

Generally, from my experience, most schools don't know how to handle mental health issues, and rarely do it well. I was lucky that the college I moved to specifically tried to cater to people from rough backgrounds/who had health issues/were disabled etc. etc. so they had to have those support systems in place for people who need that little extra help.

If it were down to my old school's support, I wouldn't be here today, I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    My school are absolutely pathetic with dealing with it - they don't understand whatsoever. One of my teachers sent me out and shouted at me infront of three classes who were all watching at me from the windows because I was having a bad anxiety day and therefore didn't want to do group work. I had a panic attack then and there and it was so humiliating so I ran to the toilet and refused to go back. A head of behaviour came for me and told me to stop being pathetic and stop crying and to go back to class, I refused and was sent to my head of year where I wrote a statement saying I had a panic attack and they STILL didn't give me any help. Honestly, I hate the government and their lack of knowledge I guess in mental health - teachers are unable to spot it and don't have a clue how to deal with it. It is hell and there's nothing in place to help people like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinford3)
    My school are absolutely pathetic with dealing with it - they don't understand whatsoever. One of my teachers sent me out and shouted at me infront of three classes who were all watching at me from the windows because I was having a bad anxiety day and therefore didn't want to do group work. I had a panic attack then and there and it was so humiliating so I ran to the toilet and refused to go back. A head of behaviour came for me and told me to stop being pathetic and stop crying and to go back to class, I refused and was sent to my head of year where I wrote a statement saying I had a panic attack and they STILL didn't give me any help. Honestly, I hate the government and their lack of knowledge I guess in mental health - teachers are unable to spot it and don't have a clue how to deal with it. It is hell and there's nothing in place to help people like me.
    :eek: that sound's horrible! I hope things turn out for the better. I know how you feel and it can be so frustrating when teachers act as if they don't give a **** about others, only themselves. I would've kicked their ***es

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jor64)
    :eek: that sound's horrible! I hope things turn out for the better. I know how you feel and it can be so frustrating when teachers act as if they don't give a **** about others, only themselves. I would've kicked their ***es
    I know! Luckily that teacher left the end of last year but it's just so annoying when teachers can't see you may not be adhering to their rules but it may not actually be your fault!

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I don't have anxiety or depression whenever I am about to cry I can always go and sit in the sixth form office.
    I feel so lucky that I have teachers that care and are so lovely.
    I remember bursting into tears once because of issues with my mum and they let me sit in an empty room until I felt better. They even offered me the chance to skip the rest of the school day.
    If I be honest I think its because they know that I've been through a lot of difficulties when I was younger.

You should definitely get some support! Especially if it affects your school life immensely.

ReputationRep:
    My school is legit so similar but Im lucky I dont have a problem with confidence so I dont get panic attacks that easily. However when I am having a bad day, theyre the worst at trying to solve it out it disgusts me. Instead of trying to help you out they just make you more stressed and phone your parents saying I have bad attitude in class. I definitely cant say I know exactly how you feel, but what I can say is that the stress is definitely just pure depressing and frustrating. And it gets ten times worst when some people dont even want to try and understand you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animeamanda1412)
    My school is legit so similar but Im lucky I dont have a problem with confidence so I dont get panic attacks that easily. However when I am having a bad day, theyre the worst at trying to solve it out it disgusts me. Instead of trying to help you out they just make you more stressed and phone your parents saying I have bad attitude in class. I definitely cant say I know exactly how you feel, but what I can say is that the stress is definitely just pure depressing and frustrating. And it gets ten times worst when some people dont even want to try and understand you.
    I get it yeah I agree with you! (I don't have confidence issues I was just having a really bad day with anxiety and it set me off)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucofthewoods)
    How does your school deal with it? And do they understand the effects of it on school life etc? Have you ever been allowed to go home during a school day?
    The majority of teachers I know really don't give two f's, however, there are a few - one of them being one of the nicest people/ teachers I know, who actually do care. I myself, suffer from both anxiety AND depression, and just last Thursday, after having such a terrible lesson (coming out in tears), was invited to spend 4th lesson in the English office, with her (she's an English teacher). I guess I'm super blessed to know such a person, because there really aren't very many of 'em out there, unfortunately!
    In my experience, too many are blind to the struggles us sufferers have to face everyday, and it's ridiculous! Every teacher should understand exactly how one with a mental illness feels, and should also, make it their duty to aid them through absolutely everything they go through.

ReputationRep:
    I get it yeah I agree with you! (I don't have confidence issues I was just having a really bad day with anxiety and it set me off)
    when I get proper set off I just shut myself from everyone; and then they make up random s**t about me being "oversensitive" like dude do you even know half the crap that's going on with my life right now?!

ReputationRep:
    when I get proper set off I just shut myself from everyone; and then they make up random s**t about me being "oversensitive" like dude do you even know half the crap that's going on with my life right now?!
    Yeah exactly! It sucks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly! It sucks
    I just can't wait to be set out of that prison

ReputationRep:
    I just can't wait to be set out of that prison
    Me neither! 5 months to go

ReputationRep:
    Me neither! 5 months to go
    same!! But then theres gonna be A levels. Im just going to hope i go somewhere decent where people just make the effort to understand you TT_TT

ReputationRep:
    same!! But then theres gonna be A levels. Im just going to hope i go somewhere decent where people just make the effort to understand you TT_TT
    Yeah I think my sixth form will be better.. all the ones I've applied for seem to care for their students so hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think my sixth form will be better.. all the ones I've applied for seem to care for their students so hopefully!
    unfortunately i go to a private school, and most private schools dont give a crap about anything apart from money. So im just going to apply to a state school since i used to go to one where you cant even feel depressed without them sorting it out somehow XD. But id just hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately i go to a private school, and most private schools dont give a crap about anything apart from money. So im just going to apply to a state school since i used to go to one where you cant even feel depressed without them sorting it out somehow XD. But id just hope for the best
    oh damn i'm the other way round! I'm at a state school and one of the sixth forms i've applied for is a private school

ReputationRep:
    oh damn i'm the other way round! I'm at a state school and one of the sixth forms i've applied for is a private school
    idk theres some private schools that are so damn good. but the one i go to is just a mess; legit. Everyone who knows me knows that im cheerful and just so hype and weird and crazy. but because of this school, i get depressed because nothng and everything at the same time...ok im not even making sense. but overall it depends what private school you're applying to

ReputationRep:
    idk theres some private schools that are so damn good. but the one i go to is just a mess; legit. Everyone who knows me knows that im cheerful and just so hype and weird and crazy. but because of this school, i get depressed because nothng and everything at the same time...ok im not even making sense. but overall it depends what private school you're applying to
    Yeah I know what you mean. The one I'm applying to is up North idk you probably don't go to it there's a very off chance out of the thousands of private schools there is LOL

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you mean. The one I'm applying to is up North idk you probably don't go to it there's a very off chance out of the thousands of private schools there is LOL
    lol. good luck with your applications!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.