Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Corbyn does want nuclear submarines - just without any missiles Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35337432

Another gem from Jezbollah, apparently he also drives a car without wheels

ReputationRep:
    this is absolutely mad, so he wants to spend the tens of billions of pound to build it all & then just have no nukes! totally crazy

ReputationRep:
    I doubt any of his supporters will be happy about this. The most common argument I hear against Trident or its replacement is the cost, and it's the submarines, not the warheads, which make up the vast majority of that expense.

ReputationRep:
    well he's right, nuclear weapons are obsolete.

conventional weapons are still necessary, and cyber/drone warfare is the future
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pringles 4 days)

Agreed. Nukes are basically useless

ReputationRep:
    In the same interview he was asked about secondary industrial action. He said

Nobody willingly goes on strike. They go on strike as an ultimate weapon. The number is actually very small. it's an ultimate weapon that is used.
    That's a plan. He is going to get rid of the nuclear warheads and load the submarines with flying pickets

ReputationRep:
    The fact we haven't used a nuke shows their worth, but most people don't seem to understand that. Do you think Hitler would have invaded Poland or France if they had nukes?

Corbyn is a joker and needs to become a comedian when his career as a politician is over.

ReputationRep:
    Corbin is trying to appease the unions. Scraping Trident will cost thousands of well paid jobs in Britain and the unions are completely against this unsurprisingly. But of course its ridiculous to have subs and no missiles. Corbin's defence policies are getting more flaky by the day.

ReputationRep:

I bet Ukraine wished they had kept their own nuclear weapons now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I bet Ukraine wished they had kept their own nuclear weapons now.
    not really

besides, they weren't their nukes and they didnt have the ability to use them even if they wanted to

weak.

ReputationRep:
    This is a proposal designed to get the support of his party to vote for nuclear disarmament. The government will have decided to renew Trident with nuclear weapons well before 2020.

ReputationRep:
    besides, they weren't their nukes and they didnt have the ability to use them even if they wanted to
    Weren't they? Didn't they?

I'm sure they could have developed the firing controls if needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Weren't they? Didn't they?
    i do not have the time to educate you, the internet is an amazing resource

ReputationRep:
    i do not have the time to educate you, the internet is an amazing resource
    That's alright, already googled it for you.

So yes, they were their nukes. No, they couldn't immediately fire them due to reliance on the Russian PAL system which was outdated and undoubtedly possible to circumnavigate in the 20 years since.

Don't make sweeping statements on an open forum unless you have the mind to back them up when challenged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    they couldn't immediately fire them due to reliance on the Russian PAL system
    ok thanks

next

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks

next
    If you'll re-read the statement:

"I bet Ukraine wished they had kept their own nuclear weapons now."

You'll note we are talking about recent times, not 20 years ago.

You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    If you'll re-read the statement:

"I bet Ukraine wished they had kept their own nuclear weapons now."
    it makes just as little sense now as it did the first time, but thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    The fact we haven't used a nuke shows their worth, but most people don't seem to understand that. Do you think Hitler would have invaded Poland or France if they had nukes?

Corbyn is a joker and needs to become a comedian when his career as a politician is over.
    The fact we haven't needed to use one because we have them shows their worth actually.

ReputationRep:
    Even as a Corbyn supporter, I have to take a step back and think, "that's a little bit of insane right there".

Still, unilateral disarmament is the way forward and those who disagree, well, is violence and aggression the solution?

ReputationRep:
    not really

weak.
    not really

weak.
    There are plenty of trained missile and nuclear technicians in the Ukraine, most trained by the Russians that could have got round any safeguards the Russians installed in their weapons and retasked them for their own use. The Ukrainians even returned several hundreds kilos of enriched uranium to Russia that could have been turned into gun type atomic bombs.

Your ignorance and hubris is very pronounced in this thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.