The Student Room Group

Paying money into another person's account - How?

Hey

I no nothing about banking, so could someone help me.

So I need to pay a deposit for my flat for next year.

The landlord wants us to deposit £200 into her bank account, and I have no idea how to do this.

She gave us her bank details i.e. sort code, account number and bank name. From my understanding I can just deposit the £200 in cash into her account at Lloyds. However how do I leave my name as a reference and so she knows I have paid?

Also if I do this via cheque how would I go about it? Can I write a cheque in her name and drop it off at her bank with my name on the back of the cheque would she be able to see that the cheque came from me?

edit - I just need to know will I be able to leave my name as a reference so she can see that I have paid, when I pay in cash straight into her account.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Who do you bank with? Most banking services have an online payment system that gets it done in just a few clicks.
I would just go into my own bank and tell them you want to transfer money into the account. It'll have your name on the account, and you can add a reference to say 'X's deposit'.

Then message your landlord and say you've put money in, just to be doubly sure.

Tbh, I'd set up online banking, but then I know what I'm doing.
Reply 3
Original post by Alexion

Original post by little_wizard123

Thanks

I have online banking with Santander, so can I just transfer the money into her account and see will be able to see that the money came from me?
Reply 4
Original post by EmmiB0408
Thanks

I have online banking with Santander, so can I just transfer the money into her account and see will be able to see that the money came from me?

Yup, the transfer (under pay a new person) allows you to add comments saying who it's from and what the payment is for.

As above, really. Some banks (such as Nationwide) for whatever, will only allow you to pay someone online if you give a reference. But in this case, I would give a reference so she knows it's from you. Whereas with a friend, I don't bother. He just tells me to text him and tell him that I've put money into his account. (or as was last year, how much)
Reply 6
Original post by Alexion
Yup, the transfer (under pay a new person) allows you to add comments saying who it's from and what the payment is for.

One more thing under add a new person in the 'payment reference:' and ' your comment' section,

the 'payment reference' it says ' this is the payment to reference that appears on your statement, invoice or bill'

and

for your 'comment' it says 'is an optional field which you can use for your reference in online banking. Unlike payment reference, information will not be sent to your payee.

Sorry for asking but I just want to be a 100% sure that the 'Payments reference' can be seen by my landlord.

Again thanks for the help
Reply 7
One more thing under add a new person in the 'payment reference:' and ' your comment' section,

the 'payment reference' it says ' this is the payment to reference that appears on your statement, invoice or bill'

and

for your 'comment' it says 'is an optional field which you can use for your reference in online banking. Unlike payment reference, information will not be sent to your payee.

Sorry for asking but I just want to be a 100% sure that the 'Payments reference' can be seen by my landlord.

Again thanks for the help

Yes, the 'payment reference' is information that'll be sent with the payment. The 'comment' won't.
Reply 8
Original post by Alexion
Yes, the 'payment reference' is information that'll be sent with the payment. The 'comment' won't.

Thanks you're a lifesaver
Reply 9
Thanks you're a lifesaver

No problem :h:

Quick Reply

Latest