Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In true student tradition, I have left my study abroad application to near enough the last minute, and I was just wondering if anyone would give me some advice as to what to put on the end of my motivation letter?
    Here's what I have so far:
    To whomever it may concern,
    I am writing to express my interest in participating, with your consent, in the Erasmus+ program which allows students to expand their cultural horizons through studying in different places across Europe. It is my utmost belief that political science in particular is a subject which requires a degree of intercultural relation and understanding in order to be adequately applied, hence my desire to submerge myself in cities which are foreign to me, to explore and understand the surrounding world to a greater extent.
    At present, I am a student of Politics at the University of Glasgow, completing the second semester of my second year. Outside of this, I am an active member of the Glasgow University Feminist Committee and a volunteer for the Young Persons Befriending Service, which aims to pair vulnerable or disadvantaged children with adults who are able to support and aid them in whatever way they can. These aspects of my character, I hope, prove that I am driven and dedicated to the general improvement of life – whether that be by joining the ranks of my fellow feminists to strive for intersectional equality, or simply by sparing an hour or so a week to spend time with a lonely child. In addition, I frequently perform poetry for both the university’s spoken word poetry community (ALOUD) and the Scottish Writer’s Centre at Glasgow’s Centre for Contemporary Arts (CCA). Though this is an activity which is quite new to me, I feel it has taught me a great deal about confidence, performance, public speech and, above all, engaging with and understanding an audience – skills which, with any luck, will aid me in my political career.
    What appeals to me, specifically, about your own institution is not only its code of conduct and founding principles, but its history. Currently, alongside Politics, I am also studying History at university level...
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I am a final year politics student and spent last year at Sciences Po so maybe I can help! I would suggest perhaps writing a little bit more in detail why you chose to apply for the university/country you did. For example I wanted to go to Sciences Po in order to improve my French and because the institution has an excellent reputation, different teaching method compared to Glasgow, interesting course selection etc. Is this the letter you have to send to people in Glasgow or your future receiving institution? I do not think you need to worry too much about the motivation letter: as long as you have the grades to get into honours you should be fine anyways

Essi
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Social and Political Sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Glasgow)
    Hi!

I am a final year politics student and spent last year at Sciences Po so maybe I can help! I would suggest perhaps writing a little bit more in detail why you chose to apply for the university/country you did. For example I wanted to go to Sciences Po in order to improve my French and because the institution has an excellent reputation, different teaching method compared to Glasgow, interesting course selection etc. Is this the letter you have to send to people in Glasgow or your future receiving institution? I do not think you need to worry too much about the motivation letter: as long as you have the grades to get into honours you should be fine anyways

Essi
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Social and Political Sciences
    Hi, I'm applying to Sciences Po Reims and I applied through my university Politics department and got through that. And then in March, Sciences Po Reims also asked me to fill out an application form (some of which my uni had already filled out). At the end they asked for a motivation letter, and me thinking that this form is just a formality, I just submitted a letter saying that I want to go to Sciences Po to learn french and because its a really good school with good teaching. I wanted to ask, from your experience is the application form more of a formality or does the motivation letter need to be in detail?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.