Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question on my a level subjects Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm deciding to take the medicine path and have decided to take biology chemistry and maths as my a levels when I apply soon for sixth form/ college. I am also thinking of taking accountancy as a back up. Would this add unnecessary stress or strain for my other three?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muhammad25)
    I'm deciding to take the medicine path and have decided to take biology chemistry and maths as my a levels when I apply soon for sixth form/ college. I am also thinking of taking accountancy as a back up. Would this add unnecessary stress or strain for my other three?
    I think you should take it as a back up because it will give you a competitive edge against other applicants when applying to uni. However, you will need to make sure your grades remain high, getting AAA is better than ABBB for example. You should definitely take it for your first year because if you find out that you can't actually handle it then you can drop it at AS, and concentrate getting high grades in the rest. It all depends on how hard you're willing to work. Medicine is competitive and a medicine degree is very stressful, so I'd say get used to the stress now!

For now, focus on getting as many A*s as possible at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for ur Reply Dylann. Yeah I'll try my best on the A*s for now. 👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muhammad25)
    I wouldn't bother taking accountancy as a back up. If you're completely set on medicine then you'll need the highest grades (in fact the highest UMS) in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Taking another subject would just put unnecessary pressure on you - leaving more to revise for and potentially lowering your grades in the other subjects. I don't believe universities look more favourably on those who have 4/5 A levels than those who have the 3 that are required. You'll also want as much time possible getting work experience and other extra curricular activities in your AS year in prep for your UCAS.

.. But I'd start looking at universities now and have a rough idea of what is required. Some unis may require you to have an AS level as well - in which case you would need to have another - but if you don't NEED it I wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann;[url="tel:62066143")
    62066143[/url]]I think you should take it as a back up because it will give you a competitive edge against other applicants when applying to uni. However, you will need to make sure your grades remain high, getting AAA is better than ABBB for example. You should definitely take it for your first year because if you find out that you can't actually handle it then you can drop it at AS, and concentrate getting high grades in the rest. It all depends on how hard you're willing to work. Medicine is competitive and a medicine degree is very stressful, so I'd say get used to the stress now!

For now, focus on getting as many A*s as possible at GCSE
    Thanks a lot for ur Reply Dylann. Yeah I'll try my best on the A*s for now. 👍

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is taking accountancy could u tell me how it is in ur opinion, it would help me a lot thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.