The Student Room Group

IB and UMS scores

I'm applying to Cambridge to do Medicine simply because they place more emphasis on grades than BMAT. I don't have GCSE's.

I read in another thread that IB grades don't convert to UMS.

So am I right in thinking that regardless of which uni I choose (Oxford or Cambridge) they're going to care mostly about my BMAT score?

(When deciding who they call for interview, that is)
HI
IB does get converted into UMS scores, but in a slightly different way than Alevels as each exam type is different (but that up to UCAS), that it is what matters most when you apply to uni. Your Bmat score will be what differentiates you from other applicants for the place (the same way as your personal statement but after that stage) when you and someone else gets the same scores, equally good p.s. and equally good interviews. So they are important but the Bmat is generally the last stage of comparison.
I hope this helps and good luck on getting in.
Here is the converter table: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables
Reply 2
Original post by ib_hopeful

Original post by Frankie97
HIIB does get converted into UMS scores, but in a slightly different way than Alevels as each exam type is different (but that up to UCAS), that it is what matters most when you apply to uni.

IB grades do not directly convert to AS/A2 UMS. But it does to UCAS tariff points. But Cambridge is very familiar with IB and doesn't use UCAS tariffs anyway.

Also you might do better to ask about the Medicine admissions process in the specific sub-thread for the course:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=344948
Cambridge Medicine Students and Applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ib_hopeful
I'm applying to Cambridge to do Medicine simply because they place more emphasis on grades than BMAT. I don't have GCSE's.

So am I right in thinking that regardless of which uni I choose (Oxford or Cambridge) they're going to care mostly about my BMAT score?

(When deciding who they call for interview, that is)

Cambridge will be looking for somebody who is likely to score a good 41-42+ which is about the same standard as A*A*A* which is what most medics achieve.

Without UMS this is less easy to predict so they will use all the information they have which is BMAT, GCSE A* scores and reference including any evidence from the school. A well known school (state or grammar) that sends a lot of candidates and has used the IB for many years will be trusted more than a school which has recently converted to IB where predictions can be over optimistic.

Much of your competition won't have many UMS next year as the A level structure has changed. BMAT may become more important for everybody.
You also have to have done relevant work experience and your personal statement actually matters for medicine.

PS just noticed you don't have GCSEs. Do you have anything else eg middle years IB? Everything counts.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending