The Student Room Group

Why is my generation so messed up?

Seriously, why is my generation so messed up? They are so obsessed and entangled in social media and technology that they are missing so much of their lives; some aren't even aware of what's going on around them. It's utterly ridiculous; why does there always have to be some new trend to follow, or some new picture on Instagram to like? Why can't we communicate properly anymore? This world is becoming so messed up and I feel as though I'm the only one noticing this out of all the people I know. And, at the age of 16, I feel as like I'm an outcast because I have no social media for people to follow me on. But, that shouldn't be the case. There are so many other issues going on around us that are far greater than any 'celebrity scandal' or Twitter post. Everyone is conforming to society's expectations these days, and it's horrible to watch...

I just feel like I am the only one seeing this. Please, can someone tell me that I'm not alone in my views?

EDITED: of course, I do know that social media is used by most generations. It's just it seems to be used in a negative way mostly by my generation. However, this is just my view: feel free to counter it if you think I am wrong :smile: Also, I do know that there are people in my generation that do not use social media; it's just I haven't met any.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Twitter was already a thing when I was your age. Facebook had been known for about two years, YouTube about three. I'm glad I didn't engage in two of those :smile:

To answer your question, no you're not alone :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
"communicate properly" they said that about letters and mailing too
"entangled in social media and technology" they said the exact same thing about books and television

There are always trends they aren't some new thing they've existed since antiquity, why does that bother you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah you aren't alone. They pretty much say the same thing every decade

http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/05/me-generation-time/65054/
I don't use Facebook. I think people think i'm hiding something haha
Original post by KirstyBishop
Seriously, why is my generation so messed up? They are so obsessed and entangled in social media and technology that they are missing so much of their lives; some aren't even aware of what's going on around them. It's utterly ridiculous; why does there always have to be some new trend to follow, or some new picture on Instagram to like? Why can't we communicate properly anymore? This world is becoming so messed up and I feel as though I'm the only one noticing this out of all the people I know. And, at the age of 16, I feel as like I'm an outcast because I have no social media for people to follow me on. But, that shouldn't be the case. There are so many other issues going on around us that are far greater than any 'celebrity scandal' or Twitter post. Everyone is conforming to society's expectations these days, and it's horrible to watch...

I just feel like I am the only one seeing this. Please, can someone tell me that I'm not alone in my views?

well apart from insta i dont have any social media accounts
and i hardly use insta
If older generations had access to what we had now then things would be exactly the same.
Reply 7
You're part of your generation
Dont generalise because there are some 'normal' people (if we ignore the fact that being 'normal' is an illusion)
Reply 8
firstly, because of technology
secondly, because parents are too lenient these days
Reply 9
Original post by Helpmepickone
well apart from insta i dont have any social media accounts
and i hardly use insta

I deleted insta - only use sc and whatsapp (whatsapp is not even social media though LOL but still... its what I use to talk to people)
Its not nessassarily about having social media accounts but more about using then A LOT (ik you said you barily use it but just clarifying)
Original post by shawn_o1
Twitter was already a thing when I was your age. Facebook had been known for about two years, YouTube about three. I'm glad I didn't engage in two of those :smile:

To answer your question, no you're not alone :smile:

Thanks, I have edited my original post now :smile:
Reply 11
[video="youtube;pAyKJAtDNCw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyKJAtDNCw[/video]
Original post by hejraat
I deleted insta - only use sc and whatsapp (whatsapp is not even social media though LOL but still... its what I use to talk to people)
Its not nessassarily about having social media accounts but more about using then A LOT (ik you said you barily use it but just clarifying)

yh i do have whatsapp and i do use it regularly
Original post by eternaforest
"communicate properly" they said that about letters and mailing too
"entangled in social media and technology" they said the exact same thing about books and television

There are always trends they aren't some new thing they've existed since antiquity, why does that bother you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've edited my post, thanks for pointing my mistake out to me :smile:
Original post by ezaraf
firstly, because of technology
secondly, because parents are too lenient these days

True. Thanks for answering :smile:
Because Hipsters
Original post by Helpmepickone
yh i do have whatsapp and i do use it regularly

Imo using whatsapp is very different from fb and insta because on whatsapp you are having a conversation with someone/people whilst on fb and insta you post stuff for people to see about yourself without even nessassarily making them feel the need to reply - a bit attention seekerish IMO

I think OP is referring to the second catagory
Reply 17
*poof*
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hejraat
Imo using whatsapp is very different from fb and insta because on whatsapp you are having a conversation with someone/people whilst on fb and insta you post stuff for people to see about yourself without even nessassarily making them feel the need to reply - a bit attention seekerish IMO

I think OP is referring to the second catagory

o okay
Original post by Student403
Nah you aren't alone. They pretty much say the same thing every decade

http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/05/me-generation-time/65054/

Thanks. The article is great as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest