Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is my generation so messed up? Watch

Announcements

(Original post by KirstyBishop)
    Exactly; thank you
    Grr, this is all you've said :unimpressed: have you no more opinions on this?

Myself, I don't rely on social media personally, though I use Facebook for keeping in touch with people. I do use it for promoting my work, though; as a marketing tool, it's very effective.

The problem isn't the patforms, it's the neurosis of the people on them. People want to be popular, and they think accruing lots of friends on Facebook and followers on Twitter is the answer. Everyone thinks everyone cares what they have to say, and if they don't they should. It's not just younger people who do it, either; there's a lot of people I've seen around of my age and older who are even worse than the teenagers I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    "Everyone is conforming to society's expectations these days"

Are you serious? People have always conformed to society's expectations, that is what society is.
    Beatniks
    Hippies
    Punks
    New Wave
    Acid House
    Normcore, knitting clubs and tea-totalers.

Yours is the first generation, perhaps in all of history, that has become less interesting than the last.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I was 26 before facebook(that said I was at sixth form while the internet was really getting going and saw the whole start of cyberbullying etc), but even I have noticed how endemic social media became and how conformist it all became. I don't envy anyone younger than me, who actually questions the world and doesn't want to live in complete conformity with a soulless shallow social trend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Beatniks
    Hippies
    Punks
    New Wave
    Acid House
    Normcore, knitting clubs and tea-totalers.

Yours is the first generation, perhaps in all of history, that has become less interesting than the last.
    Spoiler:
    Show

That's a bit smug. I mean, they are also the first to become more messed up, and financially impoverished, due in no small measure to the generations above them. I have more empathy with a lot of them, even though some are little ****s, than the vile people above me.

ReputationRep:
    Kirsty you are quite right about this "Social" Media malarkey... it is an utter waste of time. Most young people are now unable to write with a pen thanks to Steve Job and that bloke off Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    ur defo not alone, dont worry about it, itz nice to have a friend that understands you so you can tell dem all about your problems, every1 goes through problems in der life
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezaraf)
    firstly, because of technology
    secondly, because parents are too lenient these days
    agree 100%

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, why is my generation so messed up? They are so obsessed and entangled in social media and technology that they are missing so much of their lives; some aren't even aware of what's going on around them. It's utterly ridiculous; why does there always have to be some new trend to follow, or some new picture on Instagram to like? Why can't we communicate properly anymore? This world is becoming so messed up and I feel as though I'm the only one noticing this out of all the people I know. And, at the age of 16, I feel as like I'm an outcast because I have no social media for people to follow me on. But, that shouldn't be the case. There are so many other issues going on around us that are far greater than any 'celebrity scandal' or Twitter post. Everyone is conforming to society's expectations these days, and it's horrible to watch...

I just feel like I am the only one seeing this. Please, can someone tell me that I'm not alone in my views?

EDITED: of course, I do know that social media is used by most generations. It's just it seems to be used in a negative way mostly by my generation. However, this is just my view: feel free to counter it if you think I am wrong Also, I do know that there are people in my generation that do not use social media; it's just I haven't met any.
    You're great. Seriously, this is fantastic. A 16 year old girl seeing that the world has so much more to offer. You are a swan amongst ducklings. Keep being you.

Our generation is messed up, in more ways than how you describe. It's up to individuals such as ourselves to live our lives differently, the way WE want to, and to ignore social norms that enable us to fit in with the crowd. You're not an outcast, you're unique and like me find it different to find like-minded people. Social media is a mess and people use it for all the wrong reasons, and it's becoming addicting to many.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I hate people like this.
    But guys follow me on Instagram.

ReputationRep:
    You're fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternaforest)
    "communicate properly" they said that about letters and mailing too
    "entangled in social media and technology" they said the exact same thing about books and television

There are always trends they aren't some new thing they've existed since antiquity, why does that bother you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's about priorities and how people use these social media outlets. When i go on twitter, i'm not going to lie i see some silly ****.

ReputationRep:
    Long post ahead: whilst I believe that it is great if you are happy with your life, social media such as instagram, facebook and twitter is toxic for young people growing up with insecurity and self worth issues, highlighted in the recent surge of mental health problems. Whilst I am 25 and went through my teenage years with just texting and msn (both perfectly fine; easy communication can only be positive), my cousin is 15 and she really struggles. She has a quirky and funny personality,but whilst she does not lack in social skills, she is very shy and self concious. She is terrified of simply changing a profile picture because of the thought of very few likes compared to her peers, not to mention scrolling down a news feed and seeing people's highlight reels saying how great they are; it is very difficult for a young person to see through all that. I wasn't particularly popular at school, but I didn't have daily reminders when i went home of that popular rugby player who was going out with my crush, or a few friends hanging out without inviting me. I felt more freedom to develop my own personality, as I had less reminders of who or what I had to conform to be like, what catchphrases to use, or what interests to have. I basically had a lot less exposure to give a s*** about what others thought. If I was 10 years younger now, I would be seriously struggling with these added pressures and would not be the person I am today. It is narrowing the spectrum of normality, mirrored in my cousin saying that the majority of her school year are like clones, and her really struggling to be herself. I understand that societies before us have always followed trends, and that the outcast was always seen as weird and sometimes bullied, but these things are being hugely amplified. However, I can also see the positives, it is great to see what people who I can no longer see in real life are doing, and I would be nowhere near as politically aware. Facebook messenger is also a very practical alternative to texting. Therefore it needs to be drilled into young people at schools that social media should not be taken seriously and is simply a useful tool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    You are right. I was discussing on another thread how a lot of young people dont seem to realise that homes in London and the South East of the UK are becoming increasingly unaffordable, and many of them are likely going to spend the rest of their lives renting (as opposed to their parents generation who are mostly homeowners).

The problem is the youth of today are all too busy absorbed in snapchat and instagram to realise the world is crumbling around them.
    I have a theory that young people will adapt to this by giving up on the hope of home ownership altogether and spend their disposable income on holidays/travelling instead. In this brave new virtual world of social media success is better illustrated by your holiday snap collection than by tangible material wealth...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    Grr, this is all you've said :unimpressed: have you no more opinions on this?

Myself, I don't rely on social media personally, though I use Facebook for keeping in touch with people. I do use it for promoting my work, though; as a marketing tool, it's very effective.

The problem isn't the patforms, it's the neurosis of the people on them. People want to be popular, and they think accruing lots of friends on Facebook and followers on Twitter is the answer. Everyone thinks everyone cares what they have to say, and if they don't they should. It's not just younger people who do it, either; there's a lot of people I've seen around of my age and older who are even worse than the teenagers I've seen.
    I just understand that other people have contrasting opinions and accept it when they voice them. If you haven't already noticed, I have edited my original post a couple of times after listening to the views of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    You're great. Seriously, this is fantastic. A 16 year old girl seeing that the world has so much more to offer. You are a swan amongst ducklings. Keep being you.

Our generation is messed up, in more ways than how you describe. It's up to individuals such as ourselves to live our lives differently, the way WE want to, and to ignore social norms that enable us to fit in with the crowd. You're not an outcast, you're unique and like me find it different to find like-minded people. Social media is a mess and people use it for all the wrong reasons, and it's becoming addicting to many.
    Thank you. Honestly, that means a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Kirsty you are quite right about this "Social" Media malarkey... it is an utter waste of time. Most young people are now unable to write with a pen thanks to Steve Job and that bloke off Facebook.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    The most annoying thing is cell phones. How many times I've been with friends and some of them just text ALL THE TIME. I mean, if you like them so much, why weren't they invited in the first place? Sure, maybe some of them live far away but come on, once I can understand it, but every time you are with them, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternaforest)
    "communicate properly" they said that about letters and mailing too
    "entangled in social media and technology" they said the exact same thing about books and television

There are always trends they aren't some new thing they've existed since antiquity, why does that bother you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your avatar looks cool. What cartoon is it from?

I just understand that other people have contrasting opinions and accept it when they voice them. If you haven't already noticed, I have edited my original post a couple of times after listening to the views of others.
    :nodots:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jgjog3)
    Your avatar looks cool. What cartoon is it from?
    Thank you although it's not from a cartoon but from a game called Professor Layton and the boy is called Luke Triton

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.