How many times do you change your mattress? Anyone has ever bought a new one? Watch

kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Of course you don't change it everyday lol but a mate of mine told me that a mattress needs replacing every 10 years or so? Do you guys do the same thing? What are the criteria do you look for in a good mattress? I've heard things like Memory foam, spring-based, etc., and I've no idea what these are

Any help is really appreciated.
tinkerbell_xxx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've had the same mattress I had since I first got my bed :lol: But my dad did get me a memory foam topper mattress nearly 10 years ago but I doubt I'll be getting a new one. I love the memory foam topper so much
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I generally just flip mine. I've had mine for about 10 years and it's still going.

When I have visitors ( ) they always tell me how comfy it still feels xD
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
I've had the same mattress I had since I first got my bed :lol:
(Original post by Student403)
I generally just flip mine. I've had mine for about 10 years and it's still going.
Haha. I thought I was the only one who did it

But my dad did get me a memory foam topper mattress nearly 10 years ago but I doubt I'll be getting a new one. I love the memory foam topper so much
How was it? I mean, is it very comfortable?
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Had mine about 15 years, it's hardly the most comfortable thing anymore but I don't really feel the need to change it.

That spiel about having to change your mattress every 7-10 sounds very much like corporate bull**** designed solely to sell me something I don't need....
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Never change

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only ever had 2 mattresses, my current one is one of those extra-thick ones - I don't think I'd ever go back...
cbreef
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I kinda have 2 stacked on top of each other for some reason
tinkerbell_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kka25)

How was it? I mean, is it very comfortable?
Yes it is the topper goes ontop of my old mattress which IMO is more comfy than a full memory foam mattress. I've tried those but I really didn't like it
TaintedLight
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I flip it every three months. It's part of their instructions you know.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by cbreef)
I kinda have 2 stacked on top of each other for some reason
Yep. I'm doing the same thing really.

is more comfy than a full memory foam mattress. I've tried those but I really didn't like it
Oh, why though?

(Original post by DiceTheSlice)
I flip it every three months. It's part of their instructions you know.
Didn't know that
tinkerbell_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Yep. I'm doing the same thing really.

Oh, why though?

Didn't know that
Hmm I'm not sure, I prefer softer/bouncy mattresses and that memory foam one was a bit too stiff and I sunk in a little too much. A spring mattress with a memory foam topper is the perfect mix for me
thecatwithnohat
Report 4 years ago
I thought memory foams were bad for your back?

I've had mine for nearly 10 years now, still feels comfortable af

(Original post by Student403)

When I have visitors ( )
Always knew you were a fishy one
Student403
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
I thought memory foams were bad for your back?

I've had mine for nearly 10 years now, still feels comfortable af

Always knew you were a fishy one
:rofl:
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've changed mine twice- first because I switched from a single bed to a double bed (full memory foam mattress) now that's changed to a half memory foam which is much better for my back :yep:
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got one when I got a new bed. It's a memory foam one and it's really comfy. Shame I couldn't take it to uni. I've also got memory foam pillows which everyone I know hates, but they're the best pillows I've ever tried.
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I need a new one it's so bloody uncomfortable with all the springs messed up and ****
but I've had 5 different ones in total me thinks
AnnaKos
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Of course you don't change it everyday lol but a mate of mine told me that a mattress needs replacing every 10 years or so? Do you guys do the same thing? What are the criteria do you look for in a good mattress? I've heard things like Memory foam, spring-based, etc., and I've no idea what these are

Any help is really appreciated.
I m agree , sometimes buying a mattress was worse than buying a car, in terms of being able to compare different models.
Foam (whether memory foam, PVC, latex, whatever) is always going to be warmer than springs, since it's a great insulator, compared to a spring mattress which is basically hollow. Some foam mattresses are designed with air channels to improve circulation, which might help. I like cotton Serta http://jonsguide.org/best-serta-mattress-reviews/ good quality and budget
shawtyb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
we had my one then my boyf bought his round and we put it on top of mine and it was SUPER bouncy!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads