Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I take for GCSE? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm in Year 9, going to make my GCSE choices soon. My school requires us to do Science, Maths, English, either History or Geography and a modern foreign language. On top of that we can pick 2 extras, making a total of 10 subjects.
    I know that I definitely want to History and German, and Art and Computer Science as my extras.
    I really enjoy languages, so I want to do as many as possible. I was thinking of additionally doing French a year early. I also want to do Latin GCSE, either in school, or with a tutor out of school, along with my other subjects. In total, this would make 12 GCSEs.
    Do you think this would be manageable? Or would I find the workload too much to handle?
    Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n123k)
    Hi,
    I'm in Year 9, going to make my GCSE choices soon. My school requires us to do Science, Maths, English, either History or Geography and a modern foreign language. On top of that we can pick 2 extras, making a total of 10 subjects.
    I know that I definitely want to History and German, and Art and Computer Science as my extras.
    I really enjoy languages, so I want to do as many as possible. I was thinking of additionally doing French a year early. I also want to do Latin GCSE, either in school, or with a tutor out of school, along with my other subjects. In total, this would make 12 GCSEs.
    Do you think this would be manageable? Or would I find the workload too much to handle?
    Thank you in advance!
    If you're picking now to start your courses next year, you're going to want to do two languages tops. Coursework is changing meaning that instead of writing 6/7 paragraphs and then learning them, you have to be able to make them up on the spot. If you do three languages then you're going to have about 12 of these exams so just be wary of picking so many!

art is a good course if you are very good, there is loads of coursework so watch that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n123k)
    Hi,
    Thank you in advance!
    I do 12 GCSE's and it's not too bad!
    History is good, quite a bit of work but I find it relatively easy. I can't say anything about German as my school doesn't do it, but I know (from other students because I have the artistic talent of a shrimp) that art is difficult and has a LOT of work. I do Computer Science and it's good, but it's a lot of work and can take a while to get used to the way of thinking required for programming. All in all, good choices that leave open a lot of doors. Good luck!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I know 2 of my friends who takes 3 language gcses!!! they took spanish, french and welsh (which is compulsory anyways but they chose long course) and they seem to do fine.
    I take french and it's pretty relaxing, focus on coursework, then practice for the 2 exams. since you like languages it should come natural to you that you can bank up a lot of vocab.
    I take both history and geography and they're both useful on the same level and difficulty is the same too, but the more interesting one is history IMO. of course thats up to you what you prefer. history can be challenging if remembering dates is hard, where as geo focuses on case study to remember.
    altogether i take 12 gcses and it's bearable, especially when 2 of them is short course but the max grade is still A* so it's less work and worth it.

ReputationRep:
    art is extremely time consuming

ReputationRep:
    Art is a lot lot lot lot lot of work.

coursework 3 projects
    each project
    6x observational drawing piece
    6x artist research piece
    6x final piece plan piece
    1x A2?1? final piece

Then the exam project is another one.

Oh, I forgot, you have to do writing to support all of the artist research pieces as well.
    Art WILL take over your life, it will take up your time.

YOU MIGHT THINK ART IS THE LAIDBACK, FUN OPTION. IT. IS. NOT.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do art. It sounds fun but it's not.

I wouldn't suggest doing Latin. It won't add anything significant to your GCSE's and will be pretty much useless in everyday life (only really useful if you understand it at a high level). However, taking French early could be a good move.

If you are really interested in Latin, I suggest studying it informally in your spare time. That will take away a little stress that comes with qualifications and exams, but you still get to learn it and maybe get qualifications at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    For my choices I did History, German, Art and Drama.
    History is a good GCSE to have, cause its quite interesting in parts and also it helps to develop essay writing skills which is definitely useful when it comes to A-Levels, and there was also a slight overlap with English, it helped to understand the historical context of some books and poems a lot more, but that depends on your schools exam boards and texts.
    In all honesty, German was a nightmare, (that was mainly due to my teacher, mind) however I'm glad I did it as I got a B out of it (I'd have got A/A* but I did foundation exams because I couldn't pass the higher exams at all due to having no exam technique whatsoever) also, employers like languages!
    Art was my favourite subject, but it requires a lot of dedication, and it will be alot of work with your languages. However the marking is so strict, I was on track to get an A, but I got a C due to a huge shift in the grade boundaries, but that depends on your exam board.
    Personally, I'd limit languages to 2, absolute maximum, because there is a lot to learn. My friend did 2 (Spanish and German) and she coped fine (she does them both at AS-Level now) but she said there was a lot to learn, as sometimes there was speaking exams close to each other so she'd have to learn 2 essays for exams a few days apart. 3 languages would be great on a CV but the workload would be huge.
    Good luck whatever you choose!

ReputationRep:
    At my school we only had three choices but we weren't compelled to take a language/humanity...

I chose Art, French and German... The languages were thoroughly enjoyable and I now take both (continuing onto A-level along with English Lit!), and I don't regret the languages at all, they were the highlight of my GCSE timetable.

Art at GCSE (although not as bad as at AS-level) was very demanding and at times, did have an impact on my revision, due to taking so many hours up of the day! My teacher was also awful, but that's a different story.

So I definitely advocate the languages! And if you can't live without art, go for it! But you must be willing to spend every weekend working on it, I spent more time on my projects for Art than any other subjects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n123k)
    Hi,
    Thank you in advance!
    take subjects yoiu will enjoy

ReputationRep:
    Those sound like good choices but you might find 12 a bit too much work. I ended up dropping one because the workload was too much and it's helped me do better in the others!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.