Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the best, most underrated game you have ever played? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    dragon ball z

ReputationRep:
    I liked the Ace Attorney games, I also felt that Arc:Twilight of the Spirits doesn't get the love it deserves really. I enjoyed it back on the PS2 and I'm re-enjoying it now that it's on PS4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    ooooooooooh downloading now hopefully it works!
    hahah tell me if it works

ReputationRep:
    Mornington Crescent. I was undefeated for nine years.

ReputationRep:
    Another vote here for

PORTAL

and

PORTAL 2

Incredibly engaging games, where you have to think your way put of scientific testing rooms being thwarted all the way through by a humerous megalomaniacal computer system. Just when you think you are at the last testing room and at the end of the game, you find it's only just beginning and you have to escape from the entire facility using all the techniques you learned in the testing rooms.

Utterly brilliant game.

Portal comes bundled with the equally brilliant HALF LIFE 2 on the compilation CD called "The Orange Box" which these days can be bought for about £7.

You'd be hard pressed to find as much entertainment for that kind of money.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't read through the previous pages so sorry if I repeat anything;

Hotline Miami if you're into a retro style game, it's a blast but frustratingly tough in some levels.

Shovel Knight is again another retro style game, more of an 8-bit side scroller, one of my personal favourites from 2014.

As said above, the portal series is a masterpiece, thoroughly recommend.

Telltale's The Wolf Among Us is another personal favourite, not sure if it can be counted as underrated though, I feel like it's more well known than I think it is.

And more recently, I've been enjoying Soma, a somber post apocalyptic game set underwater, almost in a bio shock esque fashion, it's pretty short but quite enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    Ghost Recon jungle storm!
    Socom US Navy Seals!
    Timesplitters!!

edit: now I want to play TimeSplitters: Future perfect

ReputationRep:
    Freebird games - To the Moon

ReputationRep:
    there are actually some really good star wars games out there that nobody seems to know about, especially for the PC, e.g. the jedi knight series. and like somebody said - dragon ball z has some good games, e.g. budokai tenkaichi 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    Another vote here for

PORTAL

and

PORTAL 2

Incredibly engaging games, where you have to think your way put of scientific testing rooms being thwarted all the way through by a humerous megalomaniacal computer system. Just when you think you are at the last testing room and at the end of the game, you find it's only just beginning and you have to escape from the entire facility using all the techniques you learned in the testing rooms.

Utterly brilliant game.

Portal comes bundled with the equally brilliant HALF LIFE 2 on the compilation CD called "The Orange Box" which these days can be bought for about £7.

I completely agree! Somehow I managed to get the orange box from a charity shop for only 50p

Also, would anyone else class Unreal 2, Lands Of Lore or Might and Magic as underrated?

ReputationRep:
    I find it kinda funny that quite a few of the games that are being posted are in no way underrated. How was portal underrated?

ReputationRep:
    I'll always say Okami but I guess it's not really underrated, just didn't sell brilliantly
    edit: Also it's very far from being the best game I've ever played but Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex was one of the first games I played as a child and I think it is certainly underrated; I get how absurdly derivative it is but eh, I thought it was great fun. Not objectively excellent of course, but solid.

ReputationRep:
    Split/Second
    A lot of people slept on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    Another vote here for

PORTAL

and

PORTAL 2

Utterly brilliant game.

I've always thought that the half life and portal games were over-rated. Sure, they're good, but there's soooo much hype around them.

ReputationRep:
    Unreal tournament 4.
    Probably the best looking game out right now, well optimized, has really good gameplay and it's free. Yet barely anyone knows about it.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the previously posted are games that are totally not underrated in any way! Here are some that I think deserve a bigger following:
    Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
    A short game with a plot that sends my emotions on an absolute roller coaster. The controls are something I've never really experienced before, so it was interesting getting used to. I loved spending time on this game though, bought myself a controller just to play it.
    Dust: An Elysian Tale
    Looks like a weird furry game, but surprisingly a wonderful game. Completed in 18 hours (a lot of which I spent wandering around because the graphics in some areas were so pretty! I love the colour palette). My boyfriend compared it to Metroid, which seems like a super weird comparison at first. There's supposedly more games coming with this series, so I'm super excited for that.

and now for my favourite:
    Endless Legend
    I feel like this one is probably a bit higher rated than the others, but I know of absolutely no one that plays the game. It's a lot like the Civilization games but has more of a fantasy theme. I was bought this recently as a present and I love playing it on single player, so I can't imagine how much a LAN / game with my friends would be. It's a shame it's fairly expensive. This one has a decent following, but I still believe it to be underrated!

ReputationRep:
    Time Splitters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    I find it kinda funny that quite a few of the games that are being posted are in no way underrated. How was portal underrated?
    exactly what I thought portal is popular and has good reviews!

As for underrated games there are so many but I'll just pick a random one I liked...

Skullmonkeys on Playstation, I played on that for hours when I was younger haha and I figured out that you can go on enter cheats and then just button mash anything as long as the last buttons were L1L2 or R1R2 and it would take you to a different level.

"One day, a baaad man fell from the sky..."

ReputationRep:
    The Getaway. This game had so much freedom it felt like GTA in London.

ReputationRep:
    Telltale's The Walking Dead is one of the best games I have ever seen

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.