Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hi there, i am a 34 yr old woman about to leave the armed forces after 12 years. I am looking into going to uni in 2017 to study radiotherapy. I know this is an NHS funded course, so i'm not worried about tuition fees, however, i have a mortgage to say so i'm wondering what other funding may be available to me and this may mean i cannot afford to go to uni. Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkee641)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hi there, i am a 34 yr old woman about to leave the armed forces after 12 years. I am looking into going to uni in 2017 to study radiotherapy. I know this is an NHS funded course, so i'm not worried about tuition fees, however, i have a mortgage to say so i'm wondering what other funding may be available to me and this may mean i cannot afford to go to uni. Many thanks
    Double check the funding, there has been debating about changing funding for those courses from 2017. Though I can't remember if it's only if you're doing it as a second degree, or if it's for all. I believe there are armed forces grants as well. All the information will be on the Student Finance website, quite an easy Google and you get the .gov site up.

ReputationRep:
    Worth bearing in mind that Student Finance - even when NHS subsidised - is generally aimed at school leavers. Many struggle to pay rent for a room in a shared house or subsidised halls. On its own, it's pretty unlikely that Student Finance would support a mortgage. However as supercat says, there may be additional financial help for those leaving the forces.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all. Great advice. I'm pretty confused right now. I really want to do this degree as I've wanted to do this course for so long and have a wonderful career in Radiotherapy. I'll look into what the Army can offer me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkee641)
    Thank you all. Great advice. I'm pretty confused right now. I really want to do this degree as I've wanted to do this course for so long and have a wonderful career in Radiotherapy. I'll look into what the Army can offer me.
    Unless the army will sponsor you to become an army radiologist, the funding won't come from there. You need to have a read through the student finance website and do their funding calculator which will give you more of an idea about the money you'll get whilst studying.

ReputationRep:
    I realise this thread has been quiet for a while but the NHS funding is gone from 1st August 2017. Courses commencing prior to this date will receive funding but none after. After this date NHS course will be supported by student finance the same as other courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gmadams1991)
    I realise this thread has been quiet for a while but the NHS funding is gone from 1st August 2017. Courses commencing prior to this date will receive funding but none after. After this date NHS course will be supported by student finance the same as other courses.
    :/

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is a bit late but if you don't have a previous degree then the Armed forces will fund a 4 year degree ie course fees (upto £36000) if you have served 4 years. This should be briefed to you during the resettlement phase. As a mature student you will be eligible for everything that traditional students such as the loan which has gone upto around £8500 this year as long this is your first degree. During resettlement you will also be asked if you want to join the reserves and as long as you do your weekends you will get your bounty which is very useful.

Apart from that there is a dependence grant if you are married or have kids and your partner earns less than £40000. Other options include part time work, or renting out your property.

You should definitely book an appointment at your army education centre but this should be done for you anyway or call them as ask what you are entitled to as a lot can depend on which scheme they signed you up for when joined and how many years service you have.

Learning Credit Scheme (LCS) Manager
    Ed&CD, Zone 4, Floor 2
    Ramillies Building, Army HQ
    Monxton Road, Andover
    SP11 8HJ
    Tel: 01264 381580

ReputationRep:
    Student finance calculator showing one figure but when you actually apply it is 8K less, they are saying if you get NHS bursary your maintenance loan is restricted. Anyone else had this issue. I have been doing an access course to be able to get into Midwifery. I have been offered a place and now looks like I wont be able to follow this through. I am a mature student of 51, don't have a partner and they expect me to live on a loan of £2500 and bursary of £5500. Any body got any advise, can I challenge this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoops1964)
    Student finance calculator showing one figure but when you actually apply it is 8K less, they are saying if you get NHS bursary your maintenance loan is restricted. Anyone else had this issue. I have been doing an access course to be able to get into Midwifery. I have been offered a place and now looks like I wont be able to follow this through. I am a mature student of 51, don't have a partner and they expect me to live on a loan of £2500 and bursary of £5500. Any body got any advise, can I challenge this?
    By all means appeal to SFE, but I wouldn't be shocked if you don't get anywhere.

That's £8k a year, that's the average amount that most full time students get if they're on a low income. Not really sure how you can challenge it to get more... You get loans and grants or loans and the bursary, not both. There's no way any student would be getting £16k a year in maintenance payments on slc money...

There are always summer jobs and part time (though that's tough with the NHS courses) to help your finances.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.