The Student Room Group

Volunteering abroad

Hi, I'm 17 and currently doing AS. I am very interested in psychology, and hope to study this further at Uni. At the moment I am trying to do as much as I can that will look good on my personal statement/CV. I have heard of many people that have done volunteer work abroad in past summers, buy many of these have done it for applying to medical schools. I would like to do this for psychology, so my first question is: would there be any point in paying to volunteer abroad to do psychology at uni? Will it give me a advantage over others, or will it just be a waste of money? Also, when looking into this further, 'Projects Abroad' has appeared several times and looks reliable. However, when searching it on here, I haven't seen the name come up, which is a little worrying. If you know any organisations that do volunteering abroad for 17 year olds, that are reliable and well priced, that would be great.

Thank you
Hi, I went to South Africa in 2014, when I was 16. It's a great thing to be able to put on a personal statement as well as the amazing life lessons it will teach you. Somebody that was on the trip got into Oxford and I know that they were very interested in the trip.
Reply 2
Original post by student132540
Hi, I went to South Africa in 2014, when I was 16. It's a great thing to be able to put on a personal statement as well as the amazing life lessons it will teach you. Somebody that was on the trip got into Oxford and I know that they were very interested in the trip.

Do you mind me asking what you did there, what you went on to study and what company you did it with?
Original post by teg4n
Do you mind me asking what you did there, what you went on to study and what company you did it with?

We spent the first week in Kruger National park, we had lectures about elephant conservation. We were able to get up close to the animals, as well as going on midnight safaris. On the second week we went to Sodwana bay where we went scuba diving and working with marine biologists on coral conservation. We were able to swim with whale sharks and dolphins.

The company we went with was called Operation Wallacea. We went through school but you can go out in groups outside of schools.

They also do other sorts of trips to all different places. My school run the trip every 2 years and this year they are off to Mexico to work in schools with disadvantaged children.
Hey @teg4n, this diversity abroad actually helped a cousin of mine. He's been interning in Korea for almost 5 months now and Diversity Abroad helped him. They also do volunteering works. you should see their website, I suggest. here is the link: http://www.diversityabroad.com/

Quick Reply

Latest