AQA History- The Tudors 1845-1603, new A-Level. Watch

student132540
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is anybody else finding this course really heavy compared to other A-Levels? I feel like it's taking up all my time and I'm really worrying about the grade I will come out with at the end of this year.
AimeeGleek123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Keep focused and try to ask you tutor for extra help or support.
Christina1999H
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What year are you in?

Im in year 12 and Tudors in history is just so vast! im fine with Henry vii, but Henry viii is something im struggling with - esp. reformation..
peanut99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Christina1999H)
What year are you in?

Im in year 12 and Tudors in history is just so vast! im fine with Henry vii, but Henry viii is something im struggling with - esp. reformation..
its a bit late now to do this, but have you tried watching The Tudors? its a film series which has really helped me to understand a lot of aspects about henry viii, especially when it comes to the reformation and the pilgrimage of grace etc. there is a bit of content in there that they get a bit mixed up, but only in the first series really (they mix henry's sisters margret and mary together into one for example) but other than that, it has helped me visualise it. it will help you for year 13 if you take it next year too.
Caraca234
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Could someone help me with what to write for
'Henry Viii was content with allowing ministers to rule for him'
Good luck to anyone taking the exam tommorow
FAetius
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Caraca234)
Could someone help me with what to write for
'Henry Viii was content with allowing ministers to rule for him'
Good luck to anyone taking the exam tommorow
For a question like this, I guess you would consider the importance that both Wolsey and Cromwell played during their respective times, and for Wolsey in particular, you could look at his reputation/what people thought of him etc.

Seeing as how you usually have to make 5 points if it's an essay question, I'd go with something like:

Henry VIII was content with allowing ministers to rule him because....

1) Wolsey assumed much of the King's duties during the 1520s. Included negotiating and foreign diplomacy, for example, you could mention the part Wolsey played in negotiating the Treaty of London in 1518, showing his importance to Henry, but also, how he controlled him. (Henry wanted to achieve glory on the battlefield, but Wolsey recognised that this aim was unachievable, so he was enable to enact his own desires alongside the King's)

2) Wolsey's reputation, particularly referencing the part it played in his downfall. For example, he was regarded as the 'Alter Rex' - meaning equal/other king, not sure, but basically highlighted how close he was to Henry, and how many regarded the influence he had over the King as more than would be usual.

3) Although Henry was opposed to quick/extreme religious reform, Cromwell during his time in the 1530s was able to push through Protestant ideas and reforms, not surprising considering his Protestant sympathies. You can talk about his efforts to convince the King of the dissolution of the monasteries (his surveys, e.g., Valor Ecclesiasticus), furthering the Break from Rome, shown through several of the Parliamentary Acts that Cromwell had a part in passing, for example, the Act in Restraint of Appeals in 1533, Restraint of Annates in 1532, notably anti-Papal in premise, so you could potentially draw lines between Cromwell's personal leanings, his influence on these Acts being passed, on what this meant for his control over the King (he was able to enact religious reform based off of what he thought, not the King).

For disagree points, I would go for something like:

1) When accusations were made against both Wolsey and Cromwell, especially regarding the influence they held over the King, Henry was quick to act in bringing about their downfall and/or execution. For example, once rumours were spread about Cromwell by the Traditionalist Howard faction, Cromwell was quickly issued Attainders, charged with failing to enforce the Six Articles (Catholic) and trying to push further Protestant reform. Once Henry knew (or rather, was manipulated into thinking) that his ministers were working against him, he got rid of them.

2) In the end, Henry held the ultimate power of his Ministers. Both Wolsey and Cromwell depended on the King's favour for the power and status, and once this was lost, they too lost everything, as evidenced by both of their falls.

I'm not sure as to how relevant these points were, but I'm pretty sure I went off track at some point :/

Anyway, hope they help and good luck on the exam!
Claraxrebecca
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes I'm finding this topic extremely hard especially compared to all my other a levels
colorado
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm finding it difficult as well, not at all optimistic at the minute. My teacher did tell me that we don't need to know all of the small details of this course like we do with the other one. We've finished Henry VII and are starting Henry VIII soon
Connie1123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’m in at 13 and am finding this course very difficult. My teacher for this side is not very good at all, what would everyone recommend to revise with? I have the AQA textbook as well as the Lotherington one, they are very different and am not sure which is better to use
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (94)
14.9%
Yes - a food allergy (67)
10.62%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.38%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.54%
No (439)
69.57%

Watched Threads