The Student Room Group

Leaving a job because the place is financially unstable is not a good reason?

I read this:

A financially unstable organisation: You may well have decided to leave your job before your employer finally goes bankrupt, but you don’t want to be labelled as a ‘rat leaving a sinking ship’. It doesn’t say much for your loyalty. Avoid giving this as a reason.

Do you agree? I don't necessarily agree with the above statement really :s-smilie:
down to personal preference id leave if i wasnt happy...
Original post by kka25
I read this:

Do you agree? I don't necessarily agree with the above statement really :s-smilie:

It doesn't say much for loyalty, but it doesn't say much for discretion or not slagging off your previous employer. You always put a positive reason for moving on, not a negative one, ie you mention the new opportunity, not anything missing on the old role.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
It doesn't say much for loyalty, but it doesn't say much for discretion or not slagging off your previous employer. You always put a positive reason for moving on, not a negative one, ie you mention the new opportunity, not anything missing on the old role.

What kind of positive spin is the best for such situations?
Original post by kka25

Any positive reason about the next job!
Original post by kka25

"Looking for a new challenge." Or "Pursuing new opportunities with possibility for progression".

As for whatever people think of it - at the end of the day, "loyalty" does not exist in the world of employment. The fact that a place can close and leave you without a job demonstrates that employers are not 100% 'loyal' to staff. You don't owe it to a company to hang around for the swan song and end up unemployed.

I was made redundant in my first job after graduating - never again. It was an excellent life lesson though. I stuck around because there was talk of 'hope' of the business being bought out etc. In the end it went into administration and we were all made redundant on the spot. Now whenever I hear talk of an employer that I work for struggling, I'm straight on the hunt for work. Look after number one because businesses don't 'care' - you can't be loyal to a corporation, they're not a person.

Leave and sugar coat your reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm in a similar situation tbh but I'm going to ride it out. Also if you get made redundant u can sign onto jsa no questions asked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
Any positive reason about the next job!

They probably want to know the reason why the person has left the company?

Original post by somethingbeautiful
"Looking for a new challenge." Or "Pursuing new opportunities with possibility for progression".

I could always put it in that light but what you wrote below is something I've experienced:

I was made redundant in my first job after graduating - never again. It was an excellent life lesson though. I stuck around because there was talk of 'hope' of the business being bought out etc. In the end it went into administration and we were all made redundant on the spot. Now whenever I hear talk of an employer that I work for struggling, I'm straight on the hunt for work. Look after number one because businesses don't 'care' - you can't be loyal to a corporation, they're not a person.

Somehow I'd think it's better for future employers to know if that's the case, as in the prior company was in a financial bind or struggling financially (?)

I'm still somewhat uncertain really :s-smilie:

Opinions are welcome.
Reply 8
Original post by kka25
I read this:

This was one of the main reasons I left my last employer. I put it down as 'lack of progression opportunities' and in the interview for my new role explained that I was looking for a company I could stay with and progress my career in the long term with them.
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
This was one of the main reasons I left my last employer. I put it down as 'lack of progression opportunities' and in the interview for my new role explained that I was looking for a company I could stay with and progress my career in the long term with them.

Would it be a bad idea to say things like "the company was having some financial difficulty"?
Reply 10
Original post by kka25
Would it be a bad idea to say things like "the company was having some financial difficulty"?

No, never slag off a previous employer
Original post by somethingbeautiful

As for whatever people think of it - at the end of the day, "loyalty" does not exist in the world of employment. The fact that a place can close and leave you without a job demonstrates that employers are not 100% 'loyal' to staff. You don't owe it to a company to hang around for the swan song and end up unemployed.

Leave and sugar coat your reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same thing happened to me! I was a very hard worker when I got my first job out of uni, because around me, my friends were still looking for jobs, so I tried extra hard at my job, to show I was worth hiring. Until , out of the blue ,they come to tell me there's "not enough work", which was 100% not true because I used to stay an extra 2 hours, unpaid to finish the work (and still there was more to do) ....they just couldn't afford to hire new people, and keep the people they had. I agree there's no loyalty with a job. Your employer can also give you 4 weeks notice and you're done, within a month, your circumstances would change. Being in my current job for the last 3 years, I have seen people leave and move on from the organisation, new people hired, people leaving without so much as a goodbye email to everyone (the company wants to keep it quiet that they left), and wanting to make someone retire, because making her redundant would mean a big payout, as she worked there for 20+ years. There's no company loyalty, look after yourself.
Original post by kka25
I read this:

"A rat leaving a sinking ship" - who the hell comes up with this stuff?

Loyalty doesn't exist in the working world. People move jobs all the time to collect pay-rises, promotions, work on new projects, changes of environment, changes in career direction, etc. Leaving a financially unstable organisation that may go under soon is hardly a crime, you don't have to wait until you are officially made redundant. You have to look out for yourself.

You don't slag off or say negative things about your previous employer in an interview, and when asked why you're moving jobs you put a positive spin on it, like saying you want to move somewhere where there are better opportunities for advancement, more interesting work/projects, etc.
It's a matter of perspective though. The employer wants loyal employees, because recruitment is very costly to their business. Generally, people can leave jobs much more quickly than they can join and competence and experience take time, often years, to develop. So every time an employer loses an employee they face the cost of the recruitment process, losses of efficiency during any interim period (and possible costs of temp hire or overtime) and then a period of reduced efficiency as the new employee gains competence and experience.

What you are all writing above, about loyalty being nonsense is entirely the employee's perspective (and not all employees think that way). The OP was asking a question about an application. So yes, whatever your personal view of your loyalty to your employer - past, present or future - never let on to a future potential employer that you don't rate loyalty as a positive attribute that you have, because they value it, even if you don't.

Remember, some people are loyal to their employers, and those are the people employers are looking for.
Original post by kka25
I read this:

I'd personally think giving a different reason would be more sensible.

Say you'd learnt everything you could, Wanted more opportunities for progression. Something like that comes across much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending