Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PAG 4.1 Identifying unknowns help please? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I did an experiment to identify unknown ions in mixture A and I've attached images of the sheets.

For step 9 on procedure part 1 I've identified the ions as Cl- but I can't identify the 2nd negative ion.
    For step 10 I wrote the equation Ag+ (aq) + Cl-(aq) --> AgCl (s) but I don't know the 2nd equation.

Also for step 5 on procedure part 2 I identified the ion as Ba2+ but I'm not sure what the formula is.

Thank you!
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osayuki)
    I did an experiment to identify unknown ions in mixture A and I've attached images of the sheets.

For step 9 on procedure part 1 I've identified the ions as Cl- but I can't identify the 2nd negative ion.
    For step 10 I wrote the equation Ag+ (aq) + Cl-(aq) --> AgCl (s) but I don't know the 2nd equation.

Also for step 5 on procedure part 2 I identified the ion as Ba2+ but I'm not sure what the formula is.

Thank you!
    Warning - sideways attachments, danger of neck strain ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Warning - sideways attachments, danger of neck strain ...
    Haha sorry I took the pictures on my phone in portrait. I'm not sure why their came out sideways when I attached them.
    I'll try again here.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Haha sorry I took the pictures on my phone in portrait. I'm not sure why their came out sideways when I attached them.
    I'll try again here.
    Warning - assessed coursework - do it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    Warning - assessed coursework - do it yourself.
    It's not coursework, it was a practice experiment before the real experiment in a few weeks. My teacher went over the results and answers today with me.
    Thank you for your concern though.

ReputationRep:
    Did you ever find out what they were, im stuck on the same topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mistylemon)
    Did you ever find out what they were, im stuck on the same topic
    My practical book is at school but I think I remember them. In part 1 the chloride ions in silver chloride produced a white precipitate. The other ion is carbonate ions which fizzed.For part 2 sulfate ions in barium sulfate produced a white precipitate.

ReputationRep:
    My practical book is at school but I think I remember them. In part 1 the chloride ions in silver chloride produced a white precipitate. The other ion is carbonate ions which fizzed.For part 2 sulfate ions in barium sulfate produced a white precipitate.
    Ok thanks, carbonate was what i was thinking but thanks for confirming

ReputationRep:
    Did mixture A contain BaCl2 and BaCO3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Peters)
    Did mixture A contain BaCl2 and BaCO3?
    I remember there being chloride and carbonate ions (I don't remember what the metal was sorry, my book isn't at home).

ReputationRep:
    barium sulphate and barium sulphite are both white ppt, but only strong acids in excess (excluding H2SO4) can differentiate them. Not sure if this is covered in your qualitative analysis or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.